Yacht Club bookings now lose deposit at 120 days

Até

I have been out for a while and haven't seen this US policy change mentioned here.  YC bookings still have final payment due at 89 days, but the deposit will now be forfeit at 120 days out.  So now they're lost even earlier than the 109 days out for cruises over 15 days.  This seems to have started for bookings after December 16th on sailings after January 1st.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Terms-Conditions.aspx  -open the "Cancellations and Changes By Passenger" tab.

yc.JPG

• Like 1

Not totally surprising.  It is a trend we have seen on other cruise lines where they are requiring final payments earlier or even selling non-refundable deposits.   I actually am on the side of the cruise lines on this issue and it is for good reasons.  There are quite a few cruisers who will book multiple cruises (often for the same day) with refundable deposits.  They often wait until the last minute to cancel the cruise or cruises they do not want...and might even cancel them all.  Nothing lost but the time value of their deposits.   But multiply this times many cruisers and you can start to understand that these faux bookings pull cabins out of inventory. disadvantage those who really want to book, and leave the cruise lines scrambling to fill berths at the last minute due to many cancellations.  

Add to all this the increased popularity of the YC and you can understand why MSC has changed their cancellation policy.  

Hank

I tend to agree, I really don't think it's that bad of a change.  I mainly posted it because it seems like another policy that can catch people off guard, but wasn't clearly announced by MSC.  Living in the US, so I'll admit to making YC bookings that I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to sail, knowing I could cancel free of charge up to 90 days prior.  I also knew to check sold out sailings at less than 89 days out because there were often cancellations, all this will really do is move that timeline 30 days.  Hopefully people will read the frequently changing terms & conditions so as not to lose their deposit thinking they still had until day 90 to cancel.

15 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Not totally surprising.  It is a trend we have seen on other cruise lines where they are requiring final payments earlier or even selling non-refundable deposits.   I actually am on the side of the cruise lines on this issue and it is for good reasons.  There are quite a few cruisers who will book multiple cruises (often for the same day) with refundable deposits.  They often wait until the last minute to cancel the cruise or cruises they do not want...and might even cancel them all.  Nothing lost but the time value of their deposits.   But multiply this times many cruisers and you can start to understand that these faux bookings pull cabins out of inventory. disadvantage those who really want to book, and leave the cruise lines scrambling to fill berths at the last minute due to many cancellations.  

Add to all this the increased popularity of the YC and you can understand why MSC has changed their cancellation policy.  

Hank

It's unfortunate, as the Celebrity cruise I have booked for next April is the furthest-out cruise I've booked in a long time. I usually book within 9 months or less. This is the one occasion that a refundable deposit might have been useful for me, as airfare and accommodation availability hasn't been published yet and I would have liked to have been able to flex things a bit around these other requirements.

However I do generally agree that people 'abusing' the system has ruined it for everyone. I always used to envy US bookers who seem to benefit from enhanced T&Cs (across all lines), and I wouldn't say I'm 'glad' this is changing, but it's what UK bookers have had to put up with for years.

• Like 2

P.S

This type of change, plus MSC making service charges 'mandatory' and price increases across the board is making it more likely the 3 cruises I have in my 'pipeline' are the last for a while.

The entire industry is pushing its luck with me as a consumer of their offering (and yes, I know, there are millions who are happy to put up with changes, higher prices etc. and by me not cruising it won't hurt the cruise lines' bottom line in the slightest - but at least I wouldn't have corrupted my own values or crossed my own lines by continuing to support these commercial models).

• Like 3

I booked Yacht Club while on Seaside this  December for next Dec 2019 and NOTHING was ever mentioned to us about this change and we booked on Dec. 20, 2018. She also stated that we could cancel and or move the booking 1 year forward. Deposit was 100 % refundable … Man she better had not oft lied to us....

Edited by capitalbarry

Lied would be too strong a term.  My experience has been that the on board cruise consultants are just barely more familiar with MSC policy that the phone PVC's.  Just be aware that while final payment isn't due until 90 days out you will lose the deposit if you cancel after 121 days out.  I'm unsure of the policy if you tried to make a date/sailing change after 120 days out, but have a feeling it would be treated as a cancellation.

18 hours ago, Captain-John said:

P.S

This type of change, plus MSC making service charges 'mandatory' and price increases across the board is making it more likely the 3 cruises I have in my 'pipeline' are the last for a while.

The entire industry is pushing its luck with me as a consumer of their offering (and yes, I know, there are millions who are happy to put up with changes, higher prices etc. and by me not cruising it won't hurt the cruise lines' bottom line in the slightest - but at least I wouldn't have corrupted my own values or crossed my own lines by continuing to support these commercial models).

I know the topic is YC deposits but am in your 'boa't on the cruise industry's changing (to me) price model.  We typically book a Jan/Feb getaway to the Caribbean a year or more in advance and always have found what I felt was a reasonably good value. Looking at YC , X Aqua Class, HAL (primarily) has left me unmotivated to book . I will keep my eyes open but this may be the first year I do a 'last minute' booking and if a cruise doesn't strike my fancy I have found many all inclusive resorts to be a great value with their own advantages.  Obviously with the YC bookings booming they are doing something 'right' but just not in my value wheelhouse. JMHO

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I thought I'd update this thread in case anyone came upon it.  MSC has changed the current Terms and Conditions deposit loss chart back again to YC deposits being lost a 90 days.  The non-refundable wording still persists in the written section one, "Booking Procedure and Deposit".

Booking-Terms-and-Conditions Dec, 2020.pdf

On 12/2/2020 at 3:40 PM, Até said:

I thought I'd update this thread in case anyone came upon it.  MSC has changed the current Terms and Conditions deposit loss chart back again to YC deposits being lost a 90 days.  The non-refundable wording still persists in the written section one, "Booking Procedure and Deposit".

Booking-Terms-and-Conditions Dec, 2020.pdf 250.74 kB · 8 downloads

Not sure how it's supposed to work, but we cancelled our 10/31/20 cruise in a YC cabin on our own back in July about a week or two before MSc cancelled the cruise.  It was within the 90-120 day window prior to embarkation, so we weren't expecting a refund of the deposit.  But to our surprise, we just got a deposit refund yesterday!

On 2/21/2019 at 8:13 PM, Captain-John said:

These changes are exactly why we have canceled everything we had with MSC.

Land based resort hotels and airlines have gone the other way. I just booked a Jamaican holiday with no deposit and only required to pay 7 days prior. The flight tickets purchased thru a bucket shop were fully flexible and at a great price.  

It will take a long time for cruising to regain its appeal and restricting flexibility will only knock further nails into their coffins.

On 12/2/2020 at 9:13 PM, gkbiiii said:

MSC will just push its Yacht Club passengers to Crystal and other Premium/Luxury lines, with far better terms.

1 hour ago, mickey89 said:

It will take a long time for cruising to regain its appeal and restricting flexibility will only knock further nails into their coffins.

My last post updating this thread was that MSC has returned to YC bookings with a later 90 day deposit loss date, at least according to the chart in section twelve of the Terms and Conditions.  This action makes YC bookings less restrictive than the 120 days they implemented in February, 2019.

1 minute ago, Até said:

........This action makes YC bookings less restrictive than the 120 days they implemented in February, 2019.

I would prefer final payment deadline of 7 days, thank you.  Cruising is DEAD for the foreseeable future.....

MSC US made changes to the Terms and Conditions back in April this year that had a section which indicated Yacht Club deposits are non-refundable.  There remains a conflict later in the Terms that shows they are refundable.  So far I haven not been held to the non-refundable Terms, nor have I heard a report form anyone with a US booking stating so.  I have made several bookings under the "non-refundable" Terms and I ask this specific question, and every time I've been told the YC deposit will be refunded to my form of payment as long as I cancel within the then specified (now 90 day) deposit loss period.

25 minutes ago, ranchette said:

I just booked a cruise in April 2022 and my confirmation states non refundable deposit.

I wonder is doing that actually Legal ? You would think it is a form of discrimination against customers booking a YC cabin.

My last booking was made in mid July.  The booking confirmation makes no reference to YC and just reads:

Final Payment, Cancellation and Penalties:

Final payment is due 90 days prior to departure.

All cancellations and/or requests for refund must be submitted in writing. 

Cancellation requests received will be assessed the following charges:

Cruises < 15 Nights

• 89 days– 61 days – Deposit Non−Refundable

• 60 days to 46 days – 50% Penalty

• 45 days to 16 days – 75% Penalty

• 15 days until departure – 100% Penalty

Cruises > 15 Nights

• 109 days– 61 days – Deposit Non−Refundable

• 60 days to 46 days – 50% Penalty

• 45 days to 31 days – 75% Penalty

• 30 days until departure – 100% Penalty

I made a copy of the Terms and Conditions at that time and made the booking agent agree that the YC deposit was refundable to my credit card.  If I have to cancel and MSC refuses then I feel my credit card will again rule in my favor.  I booked during the $49pp deposits and haven't been willing to book under the larger deposits until I hear how MSC is handling this.

Edited by Até

The sailing I mentioned above is in 2022.  Last month on the same booking I had MSC adjust for a significant port fee/tax drop and the new booking confirmation changed to add the <4 night, YC and World Cruise back in.  It was evidently before they changed back to YC losing deposit at 90 days.

Final Payment, Cancellation and Penalties:

Final payment is due 60 days prior to your cruise on cruises 4 nights or less. For cruises 5 nights or longer, final payment is due 90 days prior to your cruise departure (excluding WorldCruise)

All cancellations and/or requests for refund must be submitted in writing

CANCELLATION POLICY: (excluding MSC Yacht Club & World Cruise)

CRUISES 4 NIGHTS AND LESS:

• Cancel 59−46 days prior to departure: Deposit Non−Refundable

• Cancel 45−31 days prior to departure: 50% of the total fare

• Cancel 30−16 days prior to departure: 75% of the total fare

• Cancel 15−00 days prior to departure: 100% Penalty

CRUISES FROM 5−14 NIGHTS:

• Cancel 89−61 days prior to departure: Deposit Non−Refundable

• Cancel 60−46 days prior to departure: 50% of the total fare

• Cancel 45−16 days prior to departure: 75% of the total fare

• Cancel 15−00 days prior to departure: 100% Penalty

CRUISES 15 NIGHT AND MORE:

• Cancel 109−61 days prior to departure: Deposit Non−Refundable

• Cancel 60−46 days prior to departure: 50% of the total fare

• Cancel 45−31 days prior to departure: 75% of the total fare

• Cancel 30−00 days prior to departure: 100% Penalty

FOR MSC YACHT CLUB & WORLD CRUISE:

MSC YACHT CLUB

• Cancel 120−90 days prior to departure: Deposit Non−Refundable

• Cancel 89−60 days prior to departure: 50% of the total fare

• Cancel 59−30 days prior to departure: 75% of the total fare

• Cancel 29−00 days prior to departure: 100% Penalty

MSC WORLD CRUISE:

• Cancel up to 120 days prior to departure: Deposit Non−Refundable

• Cancel 119−60 days prior to departure: 25% of the total fare

• Cancel 59−15 days prior to departure: 50% of the total fare

• Cancel 14−10 days prior to departure: 75% of the total fares

• Cancel 09−00 days prior to departure: 100% Penalty

Please note that certain MSC Cruises USA promotions now include a new NON−REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT requirement. These promotions are identified with 'NON−REFUNDABLEDEPOSIT' in the promotion name. For bookings with a NON−REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT designation, a 100% cancellation penalty will be imposed on the applicable deposit amount charged at time of booking for cancellation and/or changes made at any time beyond 24 hours after initial booking.

Edited by Até
text editing