Best MDR Table Size for Solos

MsSoCalCruiser

I was told that a table for eight was the best choice for solos because it’s possible to end up with a family of four and one other solo when seated at a table for six. Do you have any experience with solo dining? What size table do you usually request?  Thoughts?  Suggestions?

Personal preference, but I ask for a table for 6, because it's much easier to carry on conversations with dinner-mates, due to the usual ambient noise of a crowded dining room. At a table for 8, which is a bit larger , I find I usually only chat with the persons on either side of me, because there is often difficulty hearing people farther away.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, flamomo said:

Personal preference, but I ask for a table for 6, because it's much easier to carry on conversations with dinner-mates, due to the usual ambient noise of a crowded dining room. At a table for 8, which is a bit larger , I find I usually only chat with the persons on either side of me, because there is often difficulty hearing people farther away

I didn’t think of the noise level. I wonder if it’s too late to switch back to a table for six?

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser

2 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I didn’t think of the noise level. I wonder if it’s too late to switch back to a table for six?

You can do it on your Cruise Personalizer.

Personally, I request a table for 2, knowing they will not pair anyone with me- which is my preference. I use meals as times to catch up on my blog and reading. As a rule, I am pretty shy/ introverted/ socially awkward in person- I opt not to inflict that on other people!

• Like 7

1 minute ago, TracieABD said:

Personally, I request a table for 2, knowing they will not pair anyone with me- which is my preference. I use meals as times to catch up on my blog and reading. As a rule, I am pretty shy/ introverted/ socially awkward in person- I opt not to inflict that on other people!

Tracie, I’m shy too.  I even asked if I was uncomfortable could I move to a table by myself and was told maybe, if there are tables available. I’m not sure what to do because I’m pretty sure I will feel uncomfortable with strangers.  I was trying to step out of my comfort zone but now I’m not sure if I really want to make that attempt.

Is your blog about cruising? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TracieABD said:

Tracie, I feel the same way as you when I cruise solo.  I always bring a book or my iPad.  I also do not like sitting at a table for a couple of hours which usually happens at large tables.  I also don’t like to continually explain why I am cruising by myself, which I do quite often.

• Like 3

I'm booked on the Royal going to Alaska in July. I'm also going solo. It's good to read others are out there doing it and having good time. This will be my 5th cruise but first one solo. I have been to Alaska a few times because I love it so much but going alone has me so nervous. I selected Anytime Dining because I too was concerned about having to explain myself to others about why I'm alone. Any time I travel by myself the first thing people ask is who I'm going with. You would think I would have developed a thicker skin by now. I would love a travel buddy at times but everybody has there own life and can't always afford it. 

Tracie, do you have your own blog? I see you are from NC ! Me too ! 

When we have had solo cruisers at our tables, it has been at a table for eight. The problem with a table for six is you may get assigned to a table with a family of four or two couples. The odds are better that you'll have a mix of people not traveling together at a table for eight. With anytime dining, we found that if we went late (as a couple) and asked to share, we still ended up at a table for two because no one else was asking to share at that time of night.

1 hour ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Tracie, I’m shy too.  I even asked if I was uncomfortable could I move to a table by myself and was told maybe, if there are tables available. I’m not sure what to do because I’m pretty sure I will feel uncomfortable with strangers.  I was trying to step out of my comfort zone but now I’m not sure if I really want to make that attempt.

Is your blog about cruising? 

I second site blog here on CC in the form of Live Froms... I am getting ready to pull the trigger on an independent blog site... If I can get it figured out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCGAL1971 said:

I'm booked on the Royal going to Alaska in July. I'm also going solo. It's good to read others are out there doing it and having good time. This will be my 5th cruise but first one solo. I have been to Alaska a few times because I love it so much but going alone has me so nervous. I selected Anytime Dining because I too was concerned about having to explain myself to others about why I'm alone. Any time I travel by myself the first thing people ask is who I'm going with. You would think I would have developed a thicker skin by now. I would love a travel buddy at times but everybody has there own life and can't always afford it. 

Tracie, do you have your own blog? I see you are from NC ! Me too ! 

Us Cackilacky Girls have to stick together!

I love traveling alone... It is so easy- and a bit indulgent, even a tinge selfish.

I typically book in TD in the MDR- This lets the waitstaff get to me a bit.

• Like 2

Hi, 

I have sailed solo on many Princess cruises and usually request a table for eight (second seating traditional dining). In the past, this worked at well and I enjoyed talking to other people at my table. However, there has been an increasing trend during the past few years of people having dinner at a different venue. I always arrive for dinner at the posted time. On more than one occasion, I have been the only person at the large table and wait 15 minutes to order (in case others arrive at the table). After the wait, I end up dining alone (which feels a little awkward at a large table). Requesting a large table may no longer be the best strategy for solo passengers. On most cruises, I usually try some of the specialty restaurants (alone) and enjoy it.

Chuck

Edited by seacruise9
  • Like 1

I have sailed solo. I am outgoing and always make friends. With that said, I get a table for two. I ask the first evening at the Maitre D' stand. I prefer to enjoy my food and drink at my own pace and enjoy the relative quiet before I go for entertainment. Having ended up at tables with folks that talk endlessly about subjects I find either dull or offensive, this works best for me. I have also been seated at a big table where both sets of guests didn't show up and I was alone at a HUGE table LOL

• Like 2

I think I will ask for table for two also. I'm more introverted and shy and not good with small talk with people I don't know. So I think having a big table would be awkward for me. Jenny, I bet that was something sitting at a huge table and being the only one. LOL 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TracieABD said:

I called and switched to a table for two.  Thank you for your help!

Hi,

Dining alone at a huge table is not fun. On the Golden Princess, I was seated at a large table in the center of the dining room. I was the only person at the table two or three different nights. It felt like everyone in the room walked by and saw me dining alone. The dinner seemed to last for an eternity.  

My most recent Princess cruise was a short repositioning cruise on the Emerald Princess from Los Angeles to Vancouver in May 2018. One of my table mates insisted on discussing politics (even though other people at the table repeatedly requested her to stop). The meal was very unpleasant. After the first night, I dined at alternative restaurants (alone) for the remainder of the cruise. My dinners were much more enjoyable. At Share, I had a wonderful time talking to people at nearby tables. Sometimes you need to be flexible. 

Chuck

Edited by seacruise9
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, seacruise9 said:

Hi,

Dining alone at a huge table is not fun. On the Golden Princess, I was seated at a large table in the center of the dining room. I was the only person at the table two or three different nights. It felt like everyone in the room walked by and saw me dining alone. The dinner seemed to last for an eternity.  

My most recent Princess cruise was a short repositioning cruise on the Emerald Princess from Los Angeles to Vancouver in May 2018. One of my table mates insisted on discussing politics (even though other people at the table repeatedly requested her to stop). The meal was very unpleasant. After the first night, I dined at alternative restaurants (alone) for the remainder of the cruise. My dinners were much more enjoyable. At Share, I had a wonderful time talking to people at nearby tables. Sometimes you need to be flexible. 

Chuck

It sounds like it was horrible. I definitely would have put a stop to the political discussion.... Is it possible to kick somebody off of your table (well not literally off of it, lol)?

Hi,

This person was horrible and would not stop talking about politics. The other people at the table became upset. Some people stormed out before dessert. Out of the over 500 dinners I have had aboard ships, this was the very worst. If the cruise had been longer, I would have requested to be moved to a different table.

Chuck

• Haha 1

I usually enjoy Anytime Dining for the flexibility both in time, dining venue and whether I feel like sharing a table. I’ve had good experiences with Anytime Dining and usually obtain good information on upcoming ports from more experienced cruisers at dinner. 

I decided to try traditional dining on another line last fall on a 7 night cruise and found myself alone one evening at a table for 10. There was never a full table on any evening. The first night we had 7. There were usually 3-5 of us every night. No guarantee there will consistently be others at your table if you decide to share.

Edited by SteelMagnolia9
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, spyro1952 said:

Tracie, I feel the same way as you when I cruise solo.  I always bring a book or my iPad.  I also do not like sitting at a table for a couple of hours which usually happens at large tables.  I also don’t like to continually explain why I am cruising by myself, which I do quite often.

Totally agree with that.  It gets really old having to explain it over and over again and getting the same blank stares from people. 

Glad you went with Traditional Dining, table for 2.  It's so much easier being on Traditional Dining because if anyone around you (or your waiters) want to know why you're alone, you can explain it once and you're done.  With Anytime Dining, you have to explain a lot more often.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TracieABD said:

Tracie - just know you are our "ray of sunshine" on the Princess CC board 🙂

• Like 2

21 hours ago, seacruise9 said:

Hi, 

I have sailed solo on many Princess cruises and usually request a table for eight (second seating traditional dining). In the past, this worked at well and I enjoyed talking to other people at my table. However, there has been an increasing trend during the past few years of people having dinner at a different venue. I always arrive for dinner at the posted time. On more than one occasion, I have been the only person at the large table and wait 15 minutes to order (in case others arrive at the table). After the wait, I end up dining alone (which feels a little awkward at a large table). Requesting a large table may no longer be the best strategy for solo passengers. On most cruises, I usually try some of the specialty restaurants (alone) and enjoy it.

Chuck

I also usually request a table for 8 or 10 when traveling solo.   Usually it works out so well.  I have had several cruises when we are the last table out of the dining room.  And I have met the most interesting people from all over the world.  Bear in mind that it is also a crap shoot when traveling with a friend or my daughter.  Just because you are solo doesn't guarantee anything any more than traveling with someone else. The good news is you can usually make other arrangements if things aren't working out.

On a Greek isles cruise, my girlfriend's plane never took off and she never made it. (She had her own room).  We linked our bookings and requested a large table.  When I arrived, they put me at a table for two.   After speaking to the Maitre D, he said he placed me there because there were just too many large families traveling together.  In the long run, it was fantastic.  They put me near the front and I had all sorts of staff visiting me with lots of special attention every night.  No problem. And I got to see who they turned away for dress code. It was highly entertaining. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

Totally agree with that.  It gets really old having to explain it over and over again and getting the same blank stares from people. 

Glad you went with Traditional Dining, table for 2.  It's so much easier being on Traditional Dining because if anyone around you (or your waiters) want to know why you're alone, you can explain it once and you're done.  With Anytime Dining, you have to explain a lot more often.

I’m feeling  better about the whole experience now. I’m glad I talked to you. Thank you so much  for the help because I was starting to feel anxious and vacation shouldn’t feel that way. 

• Like 2

I'm booked solo on an upcoming cruise on the Royal in April.  This will be my third time traveling solo and I have had mixed dining experiences.  First time I had fantastic table mates, the last time not so much, and one couple was always 15 min. late and another gentleman ordered at least 2 to 3 entrees and we were always the last table out and I barely made it to the shows and only had bad seats.  So after reading the comments on this thread I've changed my current booking to a table for two.  My question is when I made the change I was waitlist 5, then 7 and now 9.  Can someone explain why my position would be going up instead of down?