Taxi vs Uber

Lovincruisin1321

Next week we're staying at the airport hotel and need transport to the French Quarter for dinner.

I recently read an awful experience with Uber and frankly I personally know friends who are Uber drivers who shouldn't be based on my driving experience with them.

Call me Old School but I feel safer with a taxi.  However, after reading Yelp reviews on five different taxis I don't know which is safer!

Any recommendations on taxi service you have had in New Orleans?

Sorry, my experience is just the opposite of yours.  For over 30 years my work required me to travel extensively.  Subsequent to my retirement in 2006 my wife and I have continued to travel.  I have only used Uber and Lyft for the past few years as they were not available in the past.  I have had nothing but great service from both companies and I have always found their drivers to be courteous, honest, and professional.  My experience with taxi drivers both in the US and abroad has been very poor.  I have had to endure smelly automobiles, broken air conditioning, discourteous drivers, and more price adding scams than I can list.  I have traveled by taxi from MSY to New Orleans  at least a dozen times.  I have had drivers try to add to the fare about half the time.

We just sailed out of NOLA earlier this month and stayed there 4 days pre-cruise.  We used UBER Airport to our AirBNB and service was great.  Uber again one night to get back from the French Quarter and then again back to the airport when we returned from cruise.  Never a problem. 

1 hour ago, KEG306 said:

We just sailed out of NOLA earlier this month and stayed there 4 days pre-cruise.  We used UBER Airport to our AirBNB and service was great.  Uber again one night to get back from the French Quarter and then again back to the airport when we returned from cruise.  Never a problem. 

Can you e-mail me the info on this:  rmartinez1321@hotmail.com

Thanks

• 1 month later...

In other threads I’ve seen that the NOLA taxi drivers know how to navigate the confusing port situation, but the ride share drivers might not. 

I’m braced for a stressful time getting from the airport to the port, but I sure wish I could figure out which transport to use. Or that there were reliable shuttle services who know the port scene inside and out like in Miami and Port Canaveral.

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2019 at 2:19 PM, Visigoth said:

Sorry, my experience is just the opposite of yours.  For over 30 years my work required me to travel extensively.  Subsequent to my retirement in 2006 my wife and I have continued to travel.  I have only used Uber and Lyft for the past few years as they were not available in the past.  I have had nothing but great service from both companies and I have always found their drivers to be courteous, honest, and professional.  My experience with taxi drivers both in the US and abroad has been very poor.  I have had to endure smelly automobiles, broken air conditioning, discourteous drivers, and more price adding scams than I can list.  I have traveled by taxi from MSY to New Orleans  at least a dozen times.  I have had drivers try to add to the fare about half the time.

Yep. My experience with New Orleans cab drivers hasn’t been good. I’ve had them keep the  meter off and say they only take cash. I’ve had them say an $8 ride is $8 per person. I’m an uber/lyft person. And I’ve never used uber because lyft always comes out cheaper.

We have lots of experience with both, and Uber/Lyft comes out on top every time. Uber knows who we are and we know who the driver is. Better drivers, better cars and a good bit cheaper, even with a tip. Cabs are a crap shoot. 

New Orleans Uber are really OK. It is the Taxi cab people that are wild and crazy. Plus they will over charge you. if you want a taxi cab company to trust is the Metairie cab company.  You can trust them. With the Uber if you order them get their name when they arrive be bold there ask them their name. I am born and raised in Nola . So I do know what is going on.  Good luck !  

Take care , Ashleybaby

Uber drivers seem to have hard time finding their way to the Julia Street Terminal which is where NCL dropoff/pickup is.  Both times I have used Uber ( 1 in Dec 2018 and 1 in April 2019 ) I end up with an additional charge from Uber to my account of $6-8 more after initial rate is charged.  1 cab in Jan 2019 was great.  1 cab in March 2019 charged me rate to Airport even though my house is 10 miles from Airport --  no tip for that driver.  Also getting a cab at end of cruise is very easy as they are lined up and have host/hostess getting them loaded and on their way whereas getting Uber or Lyft is more time consuming as the drives do not seem to know how to access the Julia Street Terminal which is where NCL pickup is and good chance of having extra charge for "traffic" due to their lack of knowledge of accessing the terminal.

My personal experience.  YMMV

Edited by cruiser147147
add to comment

• 1 month later...
On 5/25/2019 at 7:39 PM, Saint Greg said:

Yep. My experience with New Orleans cab drivers hasn’t been good. I’ve had them keep the  meter off and say they only take cash. I’ve had them say an $8 ride is $8 per person. I’m an uber/lyft person. And I’ve never used uber because lyft always comes out cheaper.

I'm sailing in September and taking the train to New Orleans.  Staying at Homewood Suites in the Quarter.  Then to the pier the following day.  Returning back to port staying at Hampton Inn Garden district.  Working on my budget and if I use Uber or Lyft what is a budget to set aside for one train station to Homewood. Homewood to port, port to Hampton and Hampton to train station.  Thanks

6 hours ago, airlink diva said:

I'm sailing in September and taking the train to New Orleans.  Staying at Homewood Suites in the Quarter.  Then to the pier the following day.  Returning back to port staying at Hampton Inn Garden district.  Working on my budget and if I use Uber or Lyft what is a budget to set aside for one train station to Homewood. Homewood to port, port to Hampton and Hampton to train station.  Thanks

Here are the numbers for what it would be right now..may be more on embarkation day.  But  you can see why I use Lyft over Uber. Lyft is always applying some promo code for me. Right now it’s giving me 50% off up to $6. I’ve heard of a promo code “carnival” that you can use for Lyft port rides but I haven’t tried it myself.

amtrak-homewood

Uber: 6.50-10.50 (depending on vehicle size)

Lyft: 4.00-4.50

homewood-port

uber: 9.00-12.00

lyft: 4.50-6.50

port-hampton

uber: 9.50-13.25

lyft: 5.75-6.50

14 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Here are the numbers for what it would be right now..may be more on embarkation day.  But  you can see why I use Lyft over Uber. Lyft is always applying some promo code for me. Right now it’s giving me 50% off up to $6. I’ve heard of a promo code “carnival” that you can use for Lyft port rides but I haven’t tried it myself.

amtrak-homewood

Uber: 6.50-10.50 (depending on vehicle size)

Lyft: 4.00-4.50

homewood-port

uber: 9.00-12.00

lyft: 4.50-6.50

port-hampton

uber: 9.50-13.25

lyft: 5.75-6.50

Thanks for this info!  I need to look at Lyft