Would you do MTD?

Natitude61

We’ve always booked late dining, and are booked that way for our next cruise as well. Thinking seriously about doing the BOGO specialty for the first 2 nights and, since we’re in a JS, plan on doing Coastal Kitchen a couple nights as well. 

We don’t want to be “those people” who never show up in the MDR, so wondering if we should see about switching to MTD. If we did stay with late dining, we would request a 2-top so we wouldn’t leave table mates wondering if we were going to show or not, but just wondering if we screw over the waiters by not showing up half of the nights. Does it affect their tip if diners don’t show up, or are they relieved that they still get the same gratuity without having to do any work other than setting the table? Or does it really not matter either way?

We always do late dining too. I wouldn’t change to MTD, I’d just stick with late dining. I don’t think you need to worry about not showing up. You can, of course, give your waiter a head’s up for those nights you don’t plan to show up. As long as you are doing the standard gratuity, they will still get their same tip and of course, whatever extra you give them.

30 minutes ago, MandyMooToo said:

If we are not going to show in the MDR, regardless of seating choice, we inform the dining room. 

I certainly would opt for MTD...Why leave a table and it's location left empty. MTD just makes more sense to us because of the flexibility.

2 minutes ago, Ashland said:

I certainly would opt for MTD...Why leave a table and it's location left empty. MTD just makes more sense to us because of the flexibility.

We typically do opt for MTD but we still inform the dining room if we do not intend to have dinner there.

1 hour ago, kardut said:

We’ve always booked late dining, and are booked that way for our next cruise as well. Thinking seriously about doing the BOGO specialty for the first 2 nights and, since we’re in a JS, plan on doing Coastal Kitchen a couple nights as well. 

Would you do MTD?

Yes.

We have changed to MTD for those very reasons. Several nights away from the dining room every cruise, so this way we book it only when we will def be there. We get a table for 2 unless they ask if we would be willing to share. 

Edited by barbeyg
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, barbeyg said:

We have changed to MTD for those very reasons. Several nights away from the dining room every cruise, so this way we book it only when we will def be there. We get a table for 2 unless they ask if we would be willing to share. 

Agreed. Same here.

2 hours ago, kardut said:

We don’t want to be “those people” who never show up in the MDR, so wondering if we should see about switching to MTD. If we did stay with late dining, we would request a 2-top so we wouldn’t leave table mates wondering if we were going to show or not, but just wondering if we screw over the waiters by not showing up half of the nights. Does it affect their tip if diners don’t show up, or are they relieved that they still get the same gratuity without having to do any work other than setting the table? Or does it really not matter either way?

Doing MTD for the first time ever next week. Have reservations for 5 of the 6 nights. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

2 hours ago, MandyMooToo said:

We typically do opt for MTD but we still inform the dining room if we do not intend to have dinner there.

Why ?...It's just like a restaurant at home...If you don't have a "reservation" why do you think you need to let them know you won't be there? The whole original concept of MTD was the flexibility.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

You can do MTD and only make reservations for the days and times you plan to eat there.  If you don't have a reservation and are a no show not sure it really matters or hurts anyone.

Absolutely true...no one notices or cares.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Why ?...It's just like a restaurant at home...If you don't have a "reservation" why do you think you need to let them know you won't be there? The whole original concept of MTD was the flexibility.

16 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Absolutely true...no one notices or cares.

We choose MTD and make reservations for the week, usually that places us at the same table with the same server all week. So as a courtesy, if we change our plans, I inform the dining room. We choose MTD not so we can randomly walk up for dinner but so we can pick dinner times around our activities.  But sometimes after sun and fun we decide to go to the Windjammer or go with room service, just depends on how we feel. 

8 hours ago, kardut said:

Does it affect their tip if diners don’t show up, or are they relieved that they still get the same gratuity without having to do any work other than setting the table? Or does it really not matter either way? 

Tips go into a pool they will get distributed on all kinds of criteria but the passengers showing up for dinner is NOT one of them! 🙃

• Like 1

have you ever noticed that late traditional is what  is left when all else is filled, I highly doubt that selecting late dining and then not showing up will really affect anyone else on the cruise.  It is actually the least desired of all the dining times.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cruisegus said:

have you ever noticed that late traditional is what  is left when all else is filled, I highly doubt that selecting late dining and then not showing up will really affect anyone else on the cruise.  It is actually the least desired of all the dining times.

Except... late traditional booked up first when we did a port intensive Mediterranean cruise...  the port days were long, and late dining gave people time to get ready, clean up, etc.

9 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Except... late traditional booked up first when we did a port intensive Mediterranean cruise...  the port days were long, and late dining gave people time to get ready, clean up, etc.

yes that is correct for a Mediterranean cruise since it is in Europe, where late dining is more the norm than in the USA.  And I never took into account where the OP might be cruising from.  You do have to make adjustments in different parts of the world to accommodate those specific traditions.

Maybe after my wife retires we will cruise the Med when we can do a B2B and spend some time on land also

Same situation on our last cruise on Symphony.  Booked 7 specialty dinners for a 12 night cruise.  Selected MTD because I thought it would be terribly rude to not show up for 7 nights at a large table.  MTD absolutely sucks, ate in MDR 2 nights, 1 night in Windjammer and 2 in Solarium Bistro.  Your way of thinking is spot on.