Equinox, western Caribbean....sea conditions

horatio123

Unless I am reading the website incorrectly, not too please about forecasted wave heights this coming week.  6 ft plus?  I thought this was supposed to be a more serene situation.  Got the Bonine situation figured out.... help me with this.  Might be my first and last cruise  😞

25 minutes ago, horatio123 said:

Unless I am reading the website incorrectly, not too please about forecasted wave heights this coming week.  6 ft plus?  I thought this was supposed to be a more serene situation.  Got the Bonine situation figured out.... help me with this.  Might be my first and last cruise  😞

6 foot waves are quite common in the gulf.

2 meter swells would be unlikely to be felt on a ship the size of Equinox, even if they were running broadside to the ship. That's what the stabilizers are for.  You need to try to relax about this seasickness thing. Dwelling on it as you are is more likely to make you queasy than the sea state- you're talking yourself into it. Seriously, try worrying about something else to take your mind off it. 

• Like 1

I have to agree with others.   6' seas are pretty common for most cruises and most likely you may not notice much.   

Having said that, your perception of movement may be more dependent on the direction of the waves.   I find that you notice lateral waves where the ship rocks port to starboard vs those forward to aft.   Position of your cabin is also a factor in how much motion you will feel.   The higher or more forward or aft you will generally notice the movement more. 

Last week we had everything from 1-2 meters consistently to a little bigger - maybe 3 meters at most.  I don't think the waves caused any motion that was noticeable.  The wind, on the other hand, caused some slight rocking.  Felt more in the theater or in the Oceanview Cafe, so way low and up high.  My wife is very susceptible to motion and it has not been a problem for her.  

As a fellow sufferer, I encourage you to please not worry.  I also get seasick easily.  And yet I have taken more than 50 cruises.  6' seas are not a big deal, although whether you will feel it or not depends on many things - how the waves are hitting, whether they are swells, what direction the wind is blowing and how strong, where you are located on the ship, and on and on.  There are many things you can do to avoid seasickness and to treat it if it happens.   You can search these boards for a lot of info in that regard.  

My main advice, besides trying not to worry, is to get started on some preventative medication before you board.  Meclizine (Dramamine II) is used most often.  One OTC tablet every 12 hours.  As you are sailing, if you find you don't need it or the seas feel flat (believe me, sometimes you will not even feel like you are on a ship!), you can always stop taking it.   If you didn't bring any, Guest Relations will give you some for free.  You may feel a little drowsy on this med, but not too bad.  Also, your sea legs will likely improve as the sailing goes on.  In the meantime, avoid heavy greasy or spicy foods, and a lot of alcohol.  Make sure to have some food in your stomach.  If you start feeling a little woozy, go outside to catch an ocean breeze and look at the horizon - it will help stabilize you.