Virgin's Cancellation Policy

insighttoronto

Below is the FAQ section on Virgin Voyages' cancellation policy.  What are your thoughts on this policy?  

What is Virgin Voyages' cancellation policy?

Our cancellation policy was created to provide a better experience for our Sailors. Here's what you need to know:
- You have the most flexibility outside of 120 days prior to your voyage. If you're booking at this time, you have a 7-day grace period to request a full refund on your deposit and any other payments made. Refunds will be issued to your original form of payment.
- After the grace period (but still before the 120-day mark), you can receive a full refund on any payments, not including your deposit. For your deposit, you can request a Future Voyage Credit at this time.
- Between 119 and 45 days, any funds paid will be converted to Future Voyage Credit, good to use on any voyage 1 year from the original voyage start date. Sweet deal, huh?
- Within 44 days of your voyage, all funds paid are final. But you do have the option to send a mate in your place up to 48 hours before your voyage, if you really can't sail.

I've been reading this policy since I was considering booking a B2B, but I'm not 100% sure about booking one of the cruises. I'm thinking of spending a couple days in Miami before going on the cruise.  I called Virgin and they said if a cruise is canceled after the 7 day grace period and but still before the 120-day mark, the deposit turns into a future voyage credit.  Upon further questioning, they said the credit can't be applied to an existing reservation, even if that cruise isn't fully paid for.  The FAQ section says the credit is "good for any voyage 1 year from the original start date", but "any voyage" doesn't include voyages you are already planning.  Some friends of mine were initially interested in planning a Virgin cruise, but their cancellation policy has turned them off from booking.  I still want to go on a Virgin cruise, but I think that I'll be booking their voyages after the final payments are due given this policy.

Edited by insighttoronto

12 hours ago, insighttoronto said:

The FAQ section says the credit is "good for any voyage 1 year from the original start date", but "any voyage" doesn't include voyages you are already planning.  Some friends of mine were initially interested in planning a Virgin cruise, but their cancellation policy has turned them off from booking.  I still want to go on a Virgin cruise, but I think that I'll be booking their voyages after the final payments are due given this policy.

That should be clarified by them saying "good for a voyage you book in the next year" or something. It is not very clear.

But I don't find it too onerous, and more flexible than many cruise lines' cancellation policies. I especially like the idea that you can substitute another sailor up to 48 hours before sailing. In our case, we never book a cruise we think we might not take, but I understand many people will book a cruise as a "placeholder" and cancel before any penalty. I think non-refundable deposits are a good way to stop that practice. I understand in the UK your deposit is always non-refundable and forfeited with any change.

On 2/22/2019 at 9:52 AM, twodjs said:

I think the 20% down and future cruise credit are both smart moves for Virgin. But It will be pretty tough to find a decent cabin location if one waits until after the final payment deadline.

Online, you can't actually choose a cabin. When you book they choose one for you based on your category. So they are different from the outset. I wonder if their algorithm mixes the cabins up so that they don't have to discount the remaining cabins after final payment. If they do it right, cabins after final payment will sell for a premium rather than be discounted. 

HAL's site also defaults to a guarantee. But on HAL, you can choose your own as an option online. Calling Virgin gives you the option of any available cabin. Virgin was also helpful finding the same cabin for a back to back voyage. Very few choices left for an aft cabin. A 5 day cruise is too short when flying across country. 

• 2 weeks later...

My guess is they just assign cabins on-line because their web site doesn't yet support picking one, but I bet if you wait 6 month or a year, don't be surprised is that feature appears. 

I was impressed with their cancellation policy. I think very fair and probably better than I have seen elsewhere. You really only "lose" your money a month and a half before the cruise, but you still can give it to someone else. Certainly better than nothing. No reason you can't sell your spot and at least recoup some of your money. 

I think it's good policy, I hate it when people book and cancel-----I've wanted to book a cruise which was sold out.  Only later to have a few people change their minds and cancel---that could have been a cabin I would have booked, but know its to late.