1st Time Alaskan Cruiser Advise/Recommendations

arewethereyet615

If your sailing from Seattle, try to spend a couple of days there. Very cool city, Space Needle, Underground Tour and Pikes Mkt to name a few, also Union Lake. Remember binoculars!! lots to see!! (Bring two sets). It's not your typical Caribbean style, but we have done two 7 day cruises from Seattle and booked an 11 day from SF in 2020. You will have a great cruise!!

The Alaska board is great.  Do plenty of reading.

Here's a couple quick ones.

1) Pack for variable weather, including rain.  Prepare yourself to simply deal with it.  We found that we needed one extra bag from our normal Caribbean allotment. 

2) Excursions are expensive.  Bite the bullet.  

I wish I had packed more layering pieces such as short sleeves shirts with sweaters. The weather was wonderful but it did tend to fluctuate a bit depending where you stood on the ship or if in port. I had a good variety of clothes but tended to wear the same sweater every day because everything else was too warm or too cold. I don't think there's any way to predict what you need so you might as well overpack if you can.

My traveling party figured this would be a once in a lifetime trip and we did excursions that we probably would have balked at in the Caribbean (money wise). I don't regret that one bit. If you can, spend the money and get the most out of the experience. 

Read everything you can -- the boards, the reviews. It's informative, fun and gorgeous and it won't take away from the actual experience. 

• Like 1

Like previous poster stated, read, read, read the Alaska boards.  I spent a good 2 years reading reviews to get an idea of what we wanted to do once we got there.  Alaska will be expensive.  Ketichikan is the better place to pick up souvenirs if that's your last port on your cruise.  Book the train in Skagway!!  This is a must.  IMO

Don't wait to book excursions, especially if you want to do any kind of helicopter tour. Most excursions will sell out months before the cruise, even privately booked ones, especially if there are other ships there the same day as yours. 

Layers, layers, layers!  We wore a waterproof heavy windbreaker with a hood, with a fleece and turtleneck under, and were very comfortable.  We cruised at the end of August, and actually hit 85 degree temps in ketchikan!  We spent more on the excursions than the cruise cost.  The highlight for us was taking the helicopter up to mendenhall glacier, and visiting a real dog-sled camp, and dog sledding there!  We also did the Tracy Arms excursion, which gives you and up close and personal view.  Saw a calving of the ice there, and tons of seals, eagles, whales.  We had only done Caribbean cruises also up to that point, and talk about the Alaska cruise to this day.  Beautiful scenery - get a balcony cabin if possible to enjoy every moment.

I forgot to add one more thing, there will be a Naturalist talking while your cruising. They are great to listen to while in the Fjord. it is hard to hear in your cabin as the speakers are in the hallway, however, we found that if you put the TV on the forward facing camera channel you will here them fine.

We have cruised Alaska a half dozen times and will go again this July.  I agree with another poster the train ride in Skagway is superb.  We also did the Helicopter tour in Skagway.  It was a once in a life time event for us and was spectacular.  Both are kind of pricey but well worth the $$.  The Mt Roberts Tram ride in Juneau is not so expensive and gives great views during the rides and from the top. By the way at no cost, just leaning on the railing and watching Alaska go by is also pretty spectacular

I’m going to go against the majority and say, 1) Don’t waste money on a balcony and 2) You can have an excellent time without paying for pricey excursions.

We always choose balcony rooms and the Alaska cruise was the 1st time that I spent no time on the balcony after the first day.  It was just too cold to be outside even when wrapped in a blanket.  There are plenty of other places to see the scenery—both inside and outside. 

We enjoy history and hiking and did not want to spend a lot of money on expensive excursions.  So, by doing some internet research and reading some guidebooks, I found self-guided walking tours in Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway.  We also found hiking trails close to the ports and we did an excellent free historic walking tour led by a US Park Ranger in Skagway.  

Ditto on not getting a balcony.  We had a balcony on our first cruise to Alaska and never used it!  It was too cold for me even with a blanket.  We've cruise four times since then in an inside cabin--I'm warm and toasty, and we love seeing the sights from the public areas.

We also like history and hiking so rarely do expensive excursions (but did spend money/time on the first trip).  My advice is after doing your research, prioritize what pricey excursion is worth spending the money and then DIY on the other ports. (We did the helicopter/dog sledding one.  It was fun but still not convinced was worth the money (there were 4 of us) and cost almost as much as our entire cruise....).

It is so much fun exploring the ports off the beaten path--have met some wonderful people and have had great experiences.  Use the National Park Service while in Skagway.  Great tours (free!!! and sign up early online) and wonderful advice on hiking trails. 

Alaskan cruises are very different from the tropical cruises.  There is still a party vibe but very muted!  I bring drink cosy(sp) so my hands won't get too cold from carrying a cold drink.  You'll spend more time hanging over the railing marveling at the wildlife (whales, dolphins) and less time in the pool!  If I'm on a ship with a thermal spa, I always get a pass.  It is a great way to view the glaciers/scenery and stay warm!  It is amazing what you can see from a sauna....

Edited by disneyochem
grammar!
  • Thanks 1

Avoid bringing a lot of clothing to impress your fellow passengers that you will never see again.  Bring comfort clothes that can be layered.

You cannot see everything so you need to choose from lots of amazing options.  Many folks realize this once in Alaska and plan a return visit soon.

There is lots of free food but to stay healthy, don't try to eat everything or you will have ever-tightening beltlines.

Edited by Crew News