Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
blakesta12

Road Constructions / Delays

Recommended Posts

Hello all!

 

We are headed to Roatan on March 20th on the Carnival Magic.  It will be our first time visiting the island and we are pretty excited.

 

I was just curious.  I have been reading a little about some road construction and delays going on right now.  Has anyone been there recently and dealt with it or know how much of delays to expect and what not?  Just curious for planning purposes, etc.  We are using Victor Bodden tours and doing a Best of Roatan. 

 

Thank you all for any insight!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It maybe worth while to ask on the Trip Advisor Roatan forum. I believe there are three members living on the island. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My son lives on Roatan part time and there always seem to be road delays. I'm sure Victors guides are well aware where the road construction is going on but that does not mean there won't be a unexpected one. I always recommend going with a tour op who has been doing this for a - long time and about whom there are not complaints about not getting back in time. There is only one main road. If you decide to book a non ship tour just be clear that they know when you need to be back at the port, not what time ship leaves

Edited by Host Carolyn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since you'll be on a Carnival ship, you might consider just going to the "free" beach within the port terminal area.  :classic_wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 9:14 PM, OCruisers said:

Since you'll be on a Carnival ship, you might consider just going to the "free" beach within the port terminal area.  :classic_wink:

 

Thought about that.....then realized that the Vista will be ported with us that day.  Figured the beach would be crazy crowded lol.  Plus my wife and daughter are dead set on holding a sloth lol.  We are planning on getting back to the port early though and walking over to the beach for a couple hours.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was there for a week at the beginning of this month and they had traffic stopped one way 24 hours a day (yes there are actually guys with signs and flags out there at all hours) between the Roatan Rum Company by the lighthouse on the hill on West Bay Road to down past some of the resorts. They are in the middle of finally doing the roads the right way by making them concrete. Problem being that they need to cure for almost a month before they can let any traffic on them. At least that’s what I was told by a local. So there’s a large section that while it is poured and looks good, you can’t drive on it. 

 

If you’re going that that way I would allow at least an extra hour each way for transportation time. They seem to stop traffic for a very long time instead of alternating quickly like we’re used to here in the US. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much for your reply.  It looks like we may be able to miss that mess if it is on West Bay Road, I think.  We are just planning on the Sloths at Victor Boddens, some scenic photos with Roatan signs etc, a little shopping, and the only one i am concerned about is snorkeling.  We were wanting to snorkel the Blue Channel, it is over that way a bit, so we will have to see how that shakes out. 

 

Again, thanks for the input. :classic_biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, blakesta12 said:

Thank you so much for your reply.  It looks like we may be able to miss that mess if it is on West Bay Road, I think.  We are just planning on the Sloths at Victor Boddens, some scenic photos with Roatan signs etc, a little shopping, and the only one i am concerned about is snorkeling.  We were wanting to snorkel the Blue Channel, it is over that way a bit, so we will have to see how that shakes out. 

 

Again, thanks for the input. :classic_biggrin:

You’re welcome. Have fun on my favorite island!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm, we are going to Little French Key in April. Is construction going on along the way they will take us to get there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, pirate4me2 said:

Hmmm, we are going to Little French Key in April. Is construction going on along the way they will take us to get there?

I didn’t go that way this time so don’t know if they have construction there or not but there wasn’t any from the port to LFK in December, just coming from Sandy Bay and they had put gravel down on both sides then. But I wouldn’t worry too much about it. It’s the same way that they go to get to BFK and the drivers will make sure you’re back in plenty of time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blakesta12 said:

Thank you so much for your reply.  It looks like we may be able to miss that mess if it is on West Bay Road, I think.  We are just planning on the Sloths at Victor Boddens, some scenic photos with Roatan signs etc, a little shopping, and the only one i am concerned about is snorkeling.  We were wanting to snorkel the Blue Channel, it is over that way a bit, so we will have to see how that shakes out. 

 

Again, thanks for the input. :classic_biggrin:

Blue Channel is much closer to West End than it is West Bay. One could walk to the end of West End businness and swim almost straight out to Blue Channel. 

 

Ask your driver about road construction on West Bay road and where your snorkel boat is going to collect you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, firemanbobswife said:

I didn’t go that way this time so don’t know if they have construction there or not but there wasn’t any from the port to LFK in December, just coming from Sandy Bay and they had put gravel down on both sides then. But I wouldn’t worry too much about it. It’s the same way that they go to get to BFK and the drivers will make sure you’re back in plenty of time. 

Thanks for that info. Your reviews and info on LFK are part of what made me book it this time, that place looks gorgeous!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, pirate4me2 said:

Thanks for that info. Your reviews and info on LFK are part of what made me book it this time, that place looks gorgeous!

You’re welcome and thanks. You’ll love it! Some of my friends that I met when we all stayed in the Beach House just went back for a week and got home yesterday. They had an awesome time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, firemanbobswife said:

I was there for a week at the beginning of this month and they had traffic stopped one way 24 hours a day (yes there are actually guys with signs and flags out there at all hours) between the Roatan Rum Company by the lighthouse on the hill on West Bay Road to down past some of the resorts. They are in the middle of finally doing the roads the right way by making them concrete. Problem being that they need to cure for almost a month before they can let any traffic on them. At least that’s what I was told by a local. So there’s a large section that while it is poured and looks good, you can’t drive on it. 

 

If you’re going that that way I would allow at least an extra hour each way for transportation time. They seem to stop traffic for a very long time instead of alternating quickly like we’re used to here in the US. 

 

Thanks for the info. We have never been to Roatan but will be stopping there on our cruise April 4. We are thinking of taking our kids to Infinity Bay, West Bay for the day. Not knowing the geography, I’m unsure if this construction will impact our journey. Would this construction zone impact a trip from Coxen Hole cruise port to West Bay? Thanks for any input!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Gatordad815 said:

 

Thanks for the info. We have never been to Roatan but will be stopping there on our cruise April 4. We are thinking of taking our kids to Infinity Bay, West Bay for the day. Not knowing the geography, I’m unsure if this construction will impact our journey. Would this construction zone impact a trip from Coxen Hole cruise port to West Bay? Thanks for any input!

Yes. That is on the way to where you will be going. Allow about an hour and a half travel time each way for possible delays. That may be a little much, but I would rather be safe than sorry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, firemanbobswife said:

Yes. That is on the way to where you will be going. Allow about an hour and a half travel time each way for possible delays. That may be a little much, but I would rather be safe than sorry. 

Thank you for the info. Much appreciated. I’m hopeful the delays won’t be so significant when we are there but it’s always best to plan with possible delays in mind so thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gatordad815 said:

Thank you for the info. Much appreciated. I’m hopeful the delays won’t be so significant when we are there but it’s always best to plan with possible delays in mind so thank you!

If they are allowing travel still on only one side I don’t see it being any different then, but there’s still a little bit of time before your trip, so you never know. You’ll just have to see how it is going and plan accordingly for on the way back. Have fun and bring bug spray. I got eaten alive on West Bay Beach this last time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We went on Victor Bodden's Fun in the Sun tour last week.  Construction did slow things down but we still got to do everything and got back to the ship in plenty of time.  They did change the route at one point and at another point we had to sit in one place for almost half an hour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to post an update in case anyone did a search and found it. I was in Roatan earlier in this month (May) for a week and all the road construction has been completed so there aren't any more delays. It was MUCH easier to get around!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is definitely easier but it's still just one main road. Electrical grid work closed it for an hour last week. Ship tours and the bigger reputable book on your own companies learn to plan for  this unless it's accident related

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Destination Awards
      • Forum Assistance
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a 7-day Caribbean cruise for two!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...