Anyone know if Royal will cancel the Curacao Port for April 12th Cruise?

Does anyone know if the issues with Venezuela will cause the ship to not be able to go to Curacao ? We have seen on the news that Venezuela is not allowing

ships into there waters according to news and that would mean Curacao because those waters are owned by Venezuela. This is for the April 12th Southern

Caribbean cruise out of Miami.

Just curious if anyone has heard anything? I have not found any info on the boards about this yet. Thanks

7 minutes ago, Luv2Cruiise said:

that would mean Curacao because those waters are owned by Venezuela.

No, they are not. The main/only affect right now is direct flights between ABC island and Venezuela.

Edited by Biker19

21 minutes ago, Luv2Cruiise said:

According to the news media, Venezuela owns those waters and they are not allowing ships to enter the waters. That is why I was asking. I sure hope it is not true.

I find it hard to believe that Venezuela owns the waters of one of the countries of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. What's more those waters are protected by the Royal Netherlands Navy.

Edited by darthvadrouw
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Luv2Cruiise said:

Thank you for the article, I read it but it doesn't say anything about cruise ships one way or another.  It mentions flights but thats about it.

Yes, that is why I posted the link.  I think it is just for direct flights/travel.  It does not seem to be cruise ships.  . . . and that would likely provoke a response from the US and other countries. 

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

8 minutes ago, darthvadrouw said:

I find it hard to believe that Venezuela owns the waters of one of the countries of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. What's more those waters are protected by the Royal Netherlands Navy.

Curacao is NOT part of the Netherlands, 

3 minutes ago, Luv2Cruiise said:

Curacao is NOT part of the Netherlands, 

It's a constituent country of the Kingdom of the Netherlands ...
You do know that the Kingdom of the Netherlands doesn't only include the Netherlands in Europe ? It includes the Netherlands, Aruba, Curaçao and Sint-Maarten. Bonaire is a special municipality within Netherlands proper and not a country.

Edited by darthvadrouw

8 minutes ago, darthvadrouw said:

It's a constituent country of the Kingdom of the Netherlands ...
You do know that the Kingdom of the Netherlands doesn't only include the Netherlands in Europe ? It includes the Netherlands, Aruba, Curaçao and Sint-Maarten. Bonaire is a special municipality within Netherlands proper and not a country.

Interesting, someone told me it wasn't part of the Netherlands. I did some reading on it but never saw the info you posted. Never been to the ABC so was hoping the ports wouldn't change.

4 minutes ago, Luv2Cruiise said:

Interesting, someone told me it wasn't part of the Netherlands. I did some reading on it but never saw the info you posted. Never been to the ABC so was hoping the ports wouldn't change.

You should tell that someone that they are 🙂 100% sure about this fact.
Getting back to your original question, you shouldn't have an issue since you will not be going to Venezuela and I do not think the Venezuela navy would want to get on the wrong side of the Dutch navy 😉

Edited by darthvadrouw

9 minutes ago, darthvadrouw said:

You should tell that someone that they are 🙂 100% sure about this fact.
Getting back to your original question, you shouldn't have an issue since you will not be going to Venezuela and I do not think the Venezuela navy would want to get on the wrong side of the Dutch navy 😉

Yes. There is at least one, maybe two Dutch navy bases on Curacao.

Curacao and Venezuela had close relations for many years.  Curacao's big Isla oil refinery was operated  and supplied by Venezuela's national oil company PDVSA.   That partnership is ending as international creditors seek to attach PDVSA's assets.

Read recently that Curacao (Dutch?) navy is interdicting ships from Venezuela in effort to deter flood of Venezuelan refugees.  

5 hours ago, Luv2Cruiise said:

Does anyone know if the issues with Venezuela will cause the ship to not be able to go to Curacao ? We have seen on the news that Venezuela is not allowing

ships into there waters according to news and that would mean Curacao because those waters are owned by Venezuela.

This image shows the waters controlled by the Netherlands Antilles.  As you can see, there is an established Territorial Sea, Contiguous Zone and Exclusive Economic Zone.  So no, Venezuela does not own or control the waters around any of the ABC islands, especially when approaching from the North.  

image.thumb.png.b7012ac6bcc6f5eb46c3382de244f703.png

That article was irrelevant to the OP’s question anyway.  What the article stated was that Venezuela shut down air traffic between the ABC’s and Venezuela.  It could certainly do that again anytime it desired as well as blocking sea traffic from them to Venezuela but that has no bearing on travel to The ABC’ s either by sea or air from anywhere else. While geographically close to Venezuela theABC’s have no political affiliation with it and their  territorial waters are distinct from it. 

As others post above, Aruba and Curacao are part of the KIngdom of the Netherlands just as Scotland and Wales are part of the United Kingdom. The Netherlands are responsible for defence and foreign affairs including three coastguard vessels. The RNLN always has one frigate  based there for high seas and anti drug operations. I've not heard of any problems with cruise ships visiting.