Jump to content
jennas_mum

Travel insurance

Recommended Posts

We just booked a cruise for next year and I want to get travel insurance. I know a good place to go and get it (not sure I can post it here) but with there being so many options I want to know what everyone else finds important to include. 

 

I definitely want evacuation insurance (my mother had a heart attack in Cancun a few years ago and did not have it) but beyond that what is a must have. My son has special needs and has complex medical issues but he loves to cruise so I will continue to take him but want to make sure I don't forget something important. 

 

Thanks, 

 

Donna

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, you definitely want to ensure that your policy covers Pre-exsisting medical conditions.

i would ensure my policy was Primary rather than secondary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Well, you definitely want to ensure that your policy covers Pre-exsisting medical conditions.

i would ensure my policy was Primary rather than secondary.

Agree on both counts, especially the pre-existing condition situation with the OP's son. We too would not like to deal with two insurance companies so picking one that isn't secondary to the policy holder's own health insurance is a good practice. They are more expensive but worth it IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And note that most policies require that they be purchased within 10 - 15 days of the date you made the deposit on the cruise in order to have coverage for pre-exisiting conditions.  Check your policy for details.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What travel policy is primary? All the policies I have ever studied indicate the travel insurance is secondary for health. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have used insuremytrip and just did a what if insurance for our trip coming up (already purchased my plan) and Travelex had one that was not primary, you pay more but if you don't want one that is secondary this that could be a good one to look into.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jennas_mum said:

We just booked a cruise for next year and I want to get travel insurance. I know a good place to go and get it (not sure I can post it here) but with there being so many options I want to know what everyone else finds important to include. 

 

I definitely want evacuation insurance (my mother had a heart attack in Cancun a few years ago and did not have it) but beyond that what is a must have. My son has special needs and has complex medical issues but he loves to cruise so I will continue to take him but want to make sure I don't forget something important. 

 

Thanks, 

 

Donna

 

 

 

 

We have used Travel guard for the past 30+ years. Extremely easy to work with. Have only filed two claims in 35 cruises and that was due to ice storms and cancelled flight. Essentially paid up front and then got money refunded. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks so much everyone for the replies. Will definitely check out the insurance forum. We booked on the 20th so want to make sure we get this set up before the pre existing deadline. 

 

Donna

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love this company.  If you have preexisting conditions you can just insure your DEPOSIT and then pay more when you make your final payment.  So if you cancel cruise, you are only out a few hundred dollars vs. the full amount your agent might charge.

Also you MAY NOT have preexisting condition.  Read the fine print.  Example: You have diabetes, but have been on the same meds for a year or more.  If you did not change your dose or have a problem with it for X months before buying the policy, it is NOT a preexisting condition if you have a diabetes related incident on the trip.  The amount of time can be 3-6 months before policy purchase.  Check.

And read the fine print.

 

 https://www.tampabay.com/business/she-read-the-fine-print-on-her-insurance-policy-it-won-her-10000-in-a-contest-20190305/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

tripinsurancestore.com is the best. Contact Steve.

 

He has been incredibly helpful to many of us. Also check out his Q&A here on CC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2019 at 5:36 PM, Purvis1231 said:

What travel policy is primary? All the policies I have ever studied indicate the travel insurance is secondary for health. 

 

TravelInsured WorldWide Trip Protector Plus has primary coverage, with a pretty high coverage amount ($100,000). Pre-existing conditions covered if purchased within 21 days of initial deposit. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, SG65CB said:

TravelInsured WorldWide Trip Protector Plus has primary coverage, with a pretty high coverage amount ($100,000). Pre-existing conditions covered if purchased within 21 days of initial deposit. 

 

After a lot of research I concluded This was the plan that fit our needs and is the only plan I’ve ever purchased.

 

A word about the primary part though. 

The base plan provides SECONDARY coverage. When purchasing the plan, be certain to follow the drop down menu and select PRIMARY. 

Doing so costs $25/pp but well worth it to us. 

Failure to do this will provide you with only secondary coverage and may lead to dissspointment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ep010835 said:

 

After a lot of research I concluded This was the plan that fit our needs and is the only plan I’ve ever purchased.

 

A word about the primary part though. 

The base plan provides SECONDARY coverage. When purchasing the plan, be certain to follow the drop down menu and select PRIMARY. 

Doing so costs $25/pp but well worth it to us. 

Failure to do this will provide you with only secondary coverage and may lead to dissspointment. 

 

I really like this policy too and have purchased it. 

 

An interesting note is that the base plan offers primary medical coverage for Ohio residents instead of secondary. A couple of other states too, but not Texas. Must be something about our insurance regulations.

 

Edited by SG65CB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's great that people are getting better informed about travel insurance.  It is so easy to buy the cruise insurance--especially once you are Platinum and get the better policy for the lower price.  A lot of people also purchase from their travel agent.  I used to as well, but agent's get a commission, so the policies are more expensive.  My agent gives great service if you have a claim--she does all the paperwork--but some of the claims can be done online and are not difficult.  A friend was going on a cruise this winter and spent 2 weeks in Florida prior to the cruise. (He's not from the USA) . He ended up in the hospital here and discovered his travel policy ONLY covered the cruise and ended up with a $100,000+ bill!  (We negotiated it down to $15,000!)

 

So, if like us, you often extend cruises to time before or after the cruise, you need a policy that covers the whole trip.

 

One of the best ways to find what you need are on the insurance comparison sites.  The one I used in January was not the best one for this trip.  Prices fluctuate.

 

People also MUST educate themselves about pre-existing conditions and how they affect the date you must buy insurance.  (What YOU think is a preexisting condition, is often NOT the case, if you have been stable with no new meds or treatment for X long.  X is different in every policy.) . You do NOT have to put down all the money at once to have pre-existing coverage.  You just have to cover your deposit and add to it when you get plane tickets or final payment.

 

And the coverage is so much better for the money, but as you see here, PRIMARY medical is essential and not expensive.  Otherwise, you may have to pay up front and attempt to get reimbursement from your regular insurance first--or wait till all or some is denied.  Somewhere on CC there should be a permanent insurance section.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Egret32 said:

but agent's get a commission, so the policies are more expensive. 

 

Excellent point. There is at least one exception to this rule. Policies purchased through tripinsurancestore.com are sold at the exact same cost as buying directly from the insurer. When I go to their website and enter all of my information and hit "purchase now", I'm linked over to the insurer's website where I re-enter my information and finalize the purchase. The commission Steve receives is paid by the insurer, not the insured. 

There are other consolidators like tripinsurancestore.com. I don't know how they handle the commission issue but it's nice to know that there is at least one consolidator out there that does not charge a commission to the consumer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

 

Excellent point. There is at least one exception to this rule. Policies purchased through tripinsurancestore.com are sold at the exact same cost as buying directly from the insurer. When I go to their website and enter all of my information and hit "purchase now", I'm linked over to the insurer's website where I re-enter my information and finalize the purchase. The commission Steve receives is paid by the insurer, not the insured. 

There are other consolidators like tripinsurancestore.com. I don't know how they handle the commission issue but it's nice to know that there is at least one consolidator out there that does not charge a commission to the consumer. 

Not sure who Steve is.   At Squaremouth.com, you can find the best policy and CALL them, and pay less based on what you have put down.  Probably can do on tripinsurancestore too.    ANY time there is a commission paid, it is factored into your price, of course.  If you are happy with the price, that's fine.  But you are paying it.  Just like when you pay your travel agent, they get a commission from Princess.  Sometimes you can get it cheaper, sometimes there is only one retail price.  That said, the reasons some of us get perks--like specialty meals, excursions etc. paid by our travel agents (and not when you buy directly) is because they are taking a cut in their commission by giving you goodies so you will continue to book with them.  It's the system, which is fine as long as you know it.  The only thing that matters is that you get could coverage for the best price AND they make a claim easy and fair.  I prefer one company now since their claim process was so easy, quick, and fair.  And they are often the cheapest policy for the best coverage.  

Another thing I am sure to buy is 150% trip interruption.  I once had that and it sure is expensive to buy last-minute  tickets in an emergency.  NOW, let's all be healthy and safe for this trip!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Egret32 said:

It's great that people are getting better informed about travel insurance.  It is so easy to buy the cruise insurance--especially once you are Platinum and get the better policy for the lower price.  A lot of people also purchase from their travel agent.  I used to as well, but agent's get a commission, so the policies are more expensive.  My agent gives great service if you have a claim--she does all the paperwork--but some of the claims can be done online and are not difficult.  A friend was going on a cruise this winter and spent 2 weeks in Florida prior to the cruise. (He's not from the USA) . He ended up in the hospital here and discovered his travel policy ONLY covered the cruise and ended up with a $100,000+ bill!  (We negotiated it down to $15,000!)

 

So, if like us, you often extend cruises to time before or after the cruise, you need a policy that covers the whole trip.

 

One of the best ways to find what you need are on the insurance comparison sites.  The one I used in January was not the best one for this trip.  Prices fluctuate.

 

People also MUST educate themselves about pre-existing conditions and how they affect the date you must buy insurance.  (What YOU think is a preexisting condition, is often NOT the case, if you have been stable with no new meds or treatment for X long.  X is different in every policy.) . You do NOT have to put down all the money at once to have pre-existing coverage.  You just have to cover your deposit and add to it when you get plane tickets or final payment.

 

And the coverage is so much better for the money, but as you see here, PRIMARY medical is essential and not expensive.  Otherwise, you may have to pay up front and attempt to get reimbursement from your regular insurance first--or wait till all or some is denied.  Somewhere on CC there should be a permanent insurance section.

 

About what "primary" coverage means... at least almost all of the time (if not all the time?)...

 

It does NOT mean that you do not have to pay upfront.

Almost all travel insurance (*maybe* not cruise-line coverage??) is "you pay for it; you get reimbursed later", be it secondary or primary.

 

"PRIMARY" means the insurer is "it".  No other companies involved.

"SECONDARY" means it will cover whatever the primary coverage does NOT cover.

The biggest annoyance here appears to be with plain Medicare for out of USA care, which is not included in Medicare (with a very few exceptions).  In that case, with "secondary" outside coverage, one must first submit to Medicare, knowing full well it will be denied, WAIT for the denial (and maybe have to answer additional questions first!?), and THEN get the denial of coverage, and only then... finally... submit to the secondary insurer.  This can add a lot of annoyance, inconvenience, and time before getting that reimbursement.

 

We have the same coverage from TI as mentioned above, with $25pp to make the coverage "primary".

 

One other issue:  For those with some sort of lifetime limit (perhaps out of country or whatever) IF you get "primary" travel insurance, you do not first need to use up any of the regular insurance's lifetime limit.

 

ETA:  All of these (and many other) subtle issues are yet another reason to CALL TripInsuranceStore and NOT do it online.  They'll help you get what is most suitable for your specific needs, and also explain many of these other issues to you.  That's how we learned most of what we know, which still isn't "everything", obviously.

 

GC

Edited by GeezerCouple

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the clarification.  In some cases, the company will help pay the bill while you are abroad.  In most cases, you have to file the claim.  We DO have Medicare supplemental that pays abroad.  (Part J) . But this is no longer available.  There are a few policies that will cover.  If you travel a lot, it might be worth it.  Also, ANNUAL travel insurance policies are great if you travel a lot.  We get them some years.  We also add MEDJET (annual), but not this time.  And who is Steve?

 

Next time I will compare prices on your site and see how it works.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the policy language of the Travel Insured policy I buy from Steve at tripinsurancestore.com, there is specific language that they will contact the healthcare provider at your location and provide a monetary guarantee for your treatment. 

 

Means you don't necessarily need to have a high limit credit card (although still highly advised) to check into a hospital, clinic or other emergency care facility wherever you are in the world. 

 

Nice feeling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Egret32 said:

Thanks for the clarification.  In some cases, the company will help pay the bill while you are abroad.  In most cases, you have to file the claim.  We DO have Medicare supplemental that pays abroad.  (Part J) . But this is no longer available.  There are a few policies that will cover.  If you travel a lot, it might be worth it.  Also, ANNUAL travel insurance policies are great if you travel a lot.  We get them some years.  We also add MEDJET (annual), but not this time.  And who is Steve?

 

Next time I will compare prices on your site and see how it works.  

 

Steve is the owner of TripInsuranceStore.

 

He answered a great Q&A here recently:

 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2441-qa-cruise-insurance-w-steve-dasseos-of-the-tripinsurancestorecom/

 

His staff are also great, but for any "tricky" questions, ask for him.  They'll connect you then and there, or have him call you back (e.g., if he isn't sitting around twiddling his thumbs waiting for your call :classic_biggrin:).  IF he isn't sure - and we've had a few of "those questions"! - he'll call the insurer and get back to you with the *correct* answer.  That alone is of huge value!

 

GC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Egret32 said:

Not sure who Steve is.  He owns tripinsurancestore.com

 At Squaremouth.com, you can find the best policy and CALL them, and pay less based on what you have put down.  Probably can do on tripinsurancestore too.   

Don't know anything about squaremouth but if you are able, and in fact encouraged,  to pick up the phone and speak with the owner of the company to discuss any and all details of your trip, from the overview to the most arcane, then I'm sure they are good.  

ANY time there is a commission paid, it is factored into your price, of course.  If you are happy with the price, that's fine.  But you are paying it. 

Well, of course. This discussion began however,  with the poster's concern about paying a separate commission for a cruise line policy. My point is that by using tripinsurancestore.com, and others I imagine, one can go to the insurers site and pay x for a policy then go to the consolidator's site and also pay x, the exact same amount.  

Just like when you pay your travel agent, they get a commission from Princess.  Sometimes you can get it cheaper, sometimes there is only one retail price.  That said, the reasons some of us get perks--like specialty meals, excursions etc. paid by our travel agents (and not when you buy directly) is because they are taking a cut in their commission by giving you goodies so you will continue to book with them.  It's the system, which is fine as long as you know it.  The only thing that matters is that you get could coverage for the best price AND they make a claim easy and fair.  I prefer one company now since their claim process was so easy, quick, and fair.  And they are often the cheapest policy for the best coverage.  

Another thing I am sure to buy is 150% trip interruption.  I once had that and it sure is expensive to buy last-minute  tickets in an emergency.  NOW, let's all be healthy and safe for this trip!

Competition is grand. It provides us all with better products and services!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now I am really curious.  I went to your site and put in the upcoming cruise and what I insured for.  The policy I bought is for $10,000, 

 

Trip Cancellation: 100% of the trip cost ($10,000)
Trip Interruption: 150% of the trip cost ($15,000)
Accident & Sickness Medical Expense: $100,000 per person, Primary coverage
Pre-Existing Condition Waiver: Included
Emergency Medical Evacuation & Medically Necessary Repatriation: $250,000 per person
Medical Deductible: No Medical Deductible
Trip Delay: $500 per person, $150 daily limit, Covered after 6 hour delay
Baggage Delay & Delivery: $200 per person, Covered after 24 hour delay
Baggage/Personal Effects Loss: $500 per person, $100 first item limit, $100 subsequent items limit, $500 specific items limit Flight Only AD&D: $50,000

 

Cost: $1060.

 

On the other site I cannot come up with any primary medical--where is it?  And weirdly, evacuation is SECONDARY....to what?

 

The trip interruption is 150% and on the other site it is either 50-100%.

 

Of course, I can't get the pre-existing waiver, which I have here.

 

Would love to get other deals because a lot of people ask me to help them with travel insurance (since I've written about it nationally).  We are in our 70s--so age is important too.  This policy is TIN LEG.  I know a lot about this company because they are local and underwritten by Berkshire Hathaway.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

In the policy language of the Travel Insured policy I buy from Steve at tripinsurancestore.com, there is specific language that they will contact the healthcare provider at your location and provide a monetary guarantee for your treatment. 

 

Means you don't necessarily need to have a high limit credit card (although still highly advised) to check into a hospital, clinic or other emergency care facility wherever you are in the world. 

 

Nice feeling. 

 

Yes, that guarantee is what I meant.  You don't have to put up all that cash, since they will pay primary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Awards
      • NCL Sail-Away Giveaway Sweepstakes - Win a 7-Day Cruise on Norwegian Joy!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Community Contests
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...