DOG SLEDDING TOURS

coopster

HI WE ARE LOOKING AT THE DOG SLEDDING TOURS IN JUNEAU SEEING IF ANYONE HAS DONE THIS AND HAS SUGGESTIONS ON WHICH 1 OF THE 3 COMPANIES OR THE EXCURSION SINCE 3 HAVE VERY SIMILAR TRIPS AND  1 HAS AN EXTRA LANDING ON IT FOR AN ADDITIONAL $100.00

Edited by coopster
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, PittsburghNative said:

I booked direct with TEMSCO and saved $100. I just did the tour two weeks ago. The staff are FANTASTIC! The tour was a once in a lifetime experience and I highly recommend it!

5B73F707-F3B1-4170-8B38-3995E75AE4E1.jpeg

TY for the feedback! X had a sale on excursions last week so I saved $114 on the tour so I really paid the "real price"

Did you think there were to many people on the excursion or that not enough time was spent sledding?

I found another tour that sleds of Heubert & it's a little more expensive (because it's not discounted)) but by write you spend more time sledding. It's more than 25 min. 

Did you think the kids were well cared for? 

Thank you for any info!

2 hours ago, cruisingnewtoit said:

TY for the feedback! X had a sale on excursions last week so I saved $114 on the tour so I really paid the "real price"

Did you think there were to many people on the excursion or that not enough time was spent sledding?

I found another tour that sleds of Heubert & it's a little more expensive (because it's not discounted)) but by write you spend more time sledding. It's more than 25 min. 

Did you think the kids were well cared for? 

Thank you for any info!

There were two helicopters, including mine, that carried 5-6 people each to the camp. When we got there, they divided everyone into 3 groups.  They divided people by singles and those traveling together. It never felt crowded.

Once in those groups, those people were asked to either stand on the second sled at the back, sit down in front of the person standing, or sit in the first sled behind the dogs in front of the musher. Everyone took turns switching places to get the chance of mushing (which was super cool!). I felt they gave us plenty of time dogsledding.

There weren’t any kids at the time I went, but I couldn’t imagine how they wouldn’t be cared for. The staff on the glacier were so kind toward everyone participating. Kids will absolutely love this excursion! The only bummer (and it’s minuscule) is when I went, there were no small puppies. The puppies they had were about 6 months old. However, that’s nothing to fret about.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, PittsburghNative said:

There were two helicopters, including mine, that carried 5-6 people each to the camp. When we got there, they divided everyone into 3 groups.  They divided people by singles and those traveling together. It never felt crowded.

Once in those groups, those people were asked to either stand on the second sled at the back, sit down in front of the person standing, or sit in the first sled behind the dogs in front of the musher. Everyone took turns switching places to get the chance of mushing (which was super cool!). I felt they gave us plenty of time dogsledding.

There weren’t any kids at the time I went, but I couldn’t imagine how they wouldn’t be cared for. The staff on the glacier were so kind toward everyone participating. Kids will absolutely love this excursion! The only bummer (and it’s minuscule) is when I went, there were no small puppies. The puppies they had were about 6 months old. However, that’s nothing to fret about.

Thank You for all the wonderful info!

😚 Sorry I meant to type dogs (huskies) not kids. I wanted to know if the dogs were well taken of by the camp owners. 

53 minutes ago, cruisingnewtoit said:

Thank You for all the wonderful info!

😚 Sorry I meant to type dogs (huskies) not kids. I wanted to know if the dogs were well taken of by the camp owners. 

The dogs were very content. They are bred for this sport. From what I was told, the dogs are owned by those who participate in the Iditarod. They stay on the glacier during the off season to train. While waiting for the helicopter to take us back, once they heard the sound of the incoming helicopter with the next participants, they began to bark like crazy as they know they were about to have fun. When we were waiting for the “go” signal while on the sled, the dogs would try and run, so every time we stopped, the musher would have to put a stake in the ground to prevent them from running. I’m a huge animal activist and did not get a bad vibe from the camp at all. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, PittsburghNative said:

The dogs were very content. They are bred for this sport. From what I was told, the dogs are owned by those who participate in the Iditarod. They stay on the glacier during the off season to train. While waiting for the helicopter to take us back, once they heard the sound of the incoming helicopter with the next participants, they began to bark like crazy as they know they were about to have fun. When we were waiting for the “go” signal while on the sled, the dogs would try and run, so every time we stopped, the musher would have to put a stake in the ground to prevent them from running. I’m a huge animal activist and did not get a bad vibe from the camp at all. 

Thank you for answering.my questions I appreciate it. I think my DH & I will have fun.

37 minutes ago, coopster said:

we are booked on coastal helicopter tours temsco would not do it on our day day are already booked with ncl for the entire day. 

I looked at Coastal helicopters. I was tempted to go with them. The tour looks good. 

It's just easier for me to go with Celebrity plus my price is lower than Coastal because of a recent sale. 

Have a fantastic time!