Technology on Harmony

Because this is our first time on Oasis class (Harmony) and I always forget something and also always learn something new when I ask here!  This is what we have:

Voom for one device (and I purchased a Hootoo so we can use a couple devices at the Sam time)

ATT Cruise text and tak just for my phone for $50. (I need to check on work stuff every day)

I will turn data off on my phone

i will put her phone and both IPads in Airplane mode. ( I have had surprises before!!)

I will only make calls & texts when I see “cellular at Sea” or I know I am in a US  Territory  (I have had surprises before!!!)

what at is the best way for my DW and I to communicate while onboard if we get separated or lost?

What else am I forgetting or doing wrong??

Thanks ......we sail on 3/10....can’t wait!!!!

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Simply connect to the WiFi, don't login to VOOM and you'll be able to text each other, free.

Hang on....I was under the impression that we needed to purchase an internet package, or is that not the case?  We are sailing on Harmony next year, and have also never been on an Oasis class ship.

1 hour ago, A2Mich said:

Hang on....I was under the impression that we needed to purchase an internet package, or is that not the case?  We are sailing on Harmony next year, and have also never been on an Oasis class ship.

It could change by the time you sail, but as of now iMessage on iPhones works on Harmony (and only Oasis class) without a VOOM package.

• Like 1

We just got off Harmony several weeks ago. That texting trick only worked about half the time for us. I had heard from another passenger that RCCL is attempting to stop that from working, however  I'm not sure if that is true or not, I just wanted to let you know that texting for us was sporadic on our iPhones.

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

It could change by the time you sail, but as of now iMessage on iPhones works on Harmony (and only Oasis class) without a VOOM package.

Ok.  Good to know.  Sounds like we may need to get the Voom pkg either way.  My wife and I have iPhones, but kids have Android phones, so it sounds like it’s nt going to work either way.  Will have to do some digging for Voom pricing, as we are too far out for Cruise Planner to have any pricing.  Thanks for the info!

19 minutes ago, Old_Folks said:

We just got off Harmony several weeks ago. That texting trick only worked about half the time for us. I had heard from another passenger that RCCL is attempting to stop that from working, however  I'm not sure if that is true or not, I just wanted to let you know that texting for us was sporadic on our iPhones.

Of course they are.... Why do anything unless there is a payback involved?

Edited by A2Mich
Typo

If you connect to internet and go to airplane mode, you can call anyone on the ship or off that has an iphone with facetime audio.  It will be free.  You can also use this method to text people with iphones.  I just got off Harmony yesterday and use this method to call my friend in Germany

12 minutes ago, amybk27 said:

If you connect to internet and go to airplane mode, you can call anyone on the ship or off that has an iphone with facetime audio.  It will be free.  You can also use this method to text people with iphones.  I just got off Harmony yesterday and use this method to call my friend in Germany

Just a slight change to the order you mentioned:  Go into Airplane mode, then turn on WiFi and connect to the internet.