One Main Course

djhsolara

27 minutes ago, richwmn said:

It appears to me that NA might have been a trial for an Upcharge on the Culinary Council meals on Saturday night, and the Server/Supervison didn't understand that it was for that particular meal only.

Maybe so. Here is the Sat Feb 9th Navigator MDR menu. Screenshot_20190209-175613.thumb.png.0ec26be6b7a653950279dcc3b44a35ef.pngScreenshot_20190209-175618.thumb.png.92244a33d8fdd687049c81ca50a4478b.pngScreenshot_20190209-175623.thumb.png.d117c1e1f2571f15005cf2aff9b9d494.png

Edited by fatcat04

5 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

Maybe so. Here is the Sat Feb 9th Navigator MDR menu.

Funny, currently on NA and when I try to get the MDR menu on my phone I get a message to check with guest services. That is MDR only, other menus are available on my phone. I can get the menu on my laptop.

Edited by richwmn

5 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Funny, currently on NA and when I try to get the MDR menu on my phone I get a message to check with guest services. That is MDR only, other menus are available on my phone. I can get the menu on my laptop.

Yay technology!! :classic_laugh:

I generally got my new menu screenshots in the afternoon and even then the wine and drink of the day might not be filled in. 

• Like 1

After some thought and investigation, my two (euro) cents worth is that Nieuw Amsterdam has just finished 3 charters in the last few weeks.  Perhaps they charge the extra on charters, maybe even just for the Culinary Council meal.  Then they uploaded the wrong menu to the Navigator.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, TAD2005 said:

That MDR charge makes no sense.   If you go to the Lido, you can tell the server to pile on as many slices of beef, or whatever you want.  You can even go back for seconds or thirds.  If you do the same  in the MDR, they charge you $10 ??? ridiculous !!

I have not cruised on HAL in a few years.... Are you saying that in the lido.. it is a serve yourself ! 

If so, the cross contamination  possibility are enormous.... and health risks likewise.     I have  been used to asking  for an item to be placed on a plate they have and keep clean. Isn't this the norm to keep down Noro and other GI issues?    Hope this is not the case  A 30 day cruise in the tropics could  go real bad if not

In distant past years I watched people attempt to pile as much food on a plate...It was like a feeding frenzy for people starved for weeks getting their first meal food from one tray falling in to another and people using their fingers over tongs......   

As far as the $10 having worked in a restaurant  there was normaly a $5 to$ 20  split an order charge,  Why, Well more china, table wear, scullery  time waiter, food runner... its a big labor issue you might not think

15 hours ago, Jareds_mommytoo said:

I have a 17 year old that can finish off 2 meals without blinking 

One of my parents favorite stories was of 15 year old me at a steak house we favored. I had just finished off a 16oz Prime Rib and apparently was still hungry, I asked if I could have another and they acquiesced it was delivered and I finished that off too (including a second baked potato).  

As for ordering 2 entrees, the only time we do this is on Surf and Turf night, when we will order extra lobster(s). As for appetizers, if I see 2 or 3 interesting ones I will for sure order them, expecially if none of the soups are appealing. One of the advantages as I see it, is that I get to try out new appetizers that I would be a little leery of plopping down $10-$15 for in a restaurant for something new. This was how I found out that I don't care for duck. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

I have not cruised on HAL in a few years.... Are you saying that in the lido.. it is a serve yourself ! 

If so, the cross contamination  possibility are enormous.... and health risks likewise.     I have  been used to asking  for an item to be placed on a plate they have and keep clean. Isn't this the norm to keep down Noro and other GI issues?    Hope this is not the case  A 30 day cruise in the tropics could  go real bad if not

In distant past years I watched people attempt to pile as much food on a plate...It was like a feeding frenzy for people starved for weeks getting their first meal food from one tray falling in to another and people using their fingers over tongs......   

As far as the $10 having worked in a restaurant  there was normaly a $5 to$ 20  split an order charge,  Why, Well more china, table wear, scullery  time waiter, food runner... its a big labor issue you might not think

Looking forward to you finally taking another cruise on HAL so you can transform your alarmism into something more realistic. You will find many changes on HAL ships from whenever you had your last experience. Onboard safety is always key. As well as welcome cost savings. No self-serve. No trays.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, drowelf said:

One of my parents favorite stories was of 15 year old me at a steak house we favored. I had just finished off a 16oz Prime Rib and apparently was still hungry, I asked if I could have another and they acquiesced it was delivered and I finished that off too (including a second baked potato).  

As for ordering 2 entrees, the only time we do this is on Surf and Turf night, when we will order extra lobster(s). As for appetizers, if I see 2 or 3 interesting ones I will for sure order them, expecially if none of the soups are appealing. One of the advantages as I see it, is that I get to try out new appetizers that I would be a little leery of plopping down $10-$15 for in a restaurant for something new. This was how I found out that I don't care for duck. 

I do the same on surf-n-turf night.  I get an extra lobster tail and DW and I split it.  The usual tail they serve is only a 3 or 4 oz size, which is about 3 bites.

I also love  Wienerschnitzel and they usually have it a few times on a long cruise.   I always ask for a 2nd entree and they put it on the same plate, so there are no extra dishes to wash.   

I don't think that the occasional person who orders a 2nd entree is a major problem on cruise ships, especially with HAL's older demographics.   To prevent waiters from having to apologize to guests, "Sorry we just ran out of XXXX", they always prepare way more than would normally be needed.   So, if 5 people in the MDR ask for a 2nd filet, or 2nd piece of fish, that will not create a hardship for the cruise line.   They probably end up throwing away a lot of the extra portions that were prepared. 

23 minutes ago, TAD2005 said:

I do the same on surf-n-turf night.  I get an extra lobster tail and DW and I split it.  The usual tail they serve is only a 3 or 4 oz size, which is about 3 bites.

On our last cruise on the NA our waiter refused to give us any extra lobster tails explaining that they had to have enough to make sure everyone wanting one gets theirs first. I wanted one with my Veal chop I ordered instead of the regular surf and turf offering. My DW's lobster tail was so pitiful anyway I didn't really care if I got one or not. As I said earlier in a post I never get excited about having the terrible lobster tails they serve in the MDR anyway.

20 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Looking forward to you finally taking another cruise on HAL so you can transform your alarmism into something more realistic. You will find many changes on HAL ships from whenever you had your last experience. Onboard safety is always key. As well as welcome cost savings. No self-serve. No trays.  

Thanks   from the last few posts  I was worried  that the days of the hog-trough might be expected.    I , and you I suspect, have witnessed  some amazing  piles on plates that  seem to defy gravity .    

21 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

On our last cruise on the NA our waiter refused to give us any extra lobster tails explaining that they had to have enough to make sure everyone wanting one gets theirs first. I wanted one with my Veal chop I ordered instead of the regular surf and turf offering. My DW's lobster tail was so pitiful anyway I didn't really care if I got one or not. As I said earlier in a post I never get excited about having the terrible lobster tails they serve in the MDR anyway.

They had lobster the lobster tails  in the Lido the same night as they had it in the MDR on our cruise in October.

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

On our last cruise on the NA our waiter refused to give us any extra lobster tails explaining that they had to have enough to make sure everyone wanting one gets theirs first.

One of the advantages of dining late is not having to worry about them rationing the lobster tails. 🦞🦞

• Like 1

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:

They weren't rationing lobster tails in the Lido last winter (K'dam). I saw a man get three to start with and then go back for two more. Maybe they weren't really rationing, but the waiter didn't want to have to get something non-standard.

This past January, three people at my table asked for two lobster tails but no steak. I asked for two steaks but no lobster tails. I wonder what the billing system would do about that???

3 minutes ago, Despegue said:

last summer, some sailings onboard Koningsdam had a charge for Dive Inn burgers and hotdogs..

Now how did HAL get away with that when the HAL website shows the Dive an included eating option?