One Main Course

djhsolara

10 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Now how did HAL get away with that when the HAL website shows the Dive an included eating option?

I believe the charge is as part of a special order for room service delivery.

I remember reading about it in the orange book in the cabin.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

That is correct.  Never have seen a charge for Dive-in offerings at the Dive-in.

7 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Correct. My mom and my mil both ordered Dive In room service one evening on our recent cruise and the charge showed up on their bills.

We left ms Maasdam on February 15.  One evening someone at our MDR dinner table said something about an additional charge for a second entree, but we never saw it on a MDR menu.

However, our Pinnacle Grill menu did say there would be a $15 additional charge for a second main entree.  First time we had ever seen that.

I wanted a small order of the wild mushroom ravioli (main entree) as an appetizer.  This was served to me with no extra charge.  If I had ordered it as a second main entree, there would have been $15 extra according to the menu.

Barbara 

Edited by bcummin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kevingastreich said:

Interesting thought.  You may be on tp something!

On second thought, I am going with this being a prior menu glitch left over from a prior charter cruise as another poster suggested,  where they probably do watch the bottomline pennies more than a regular cruise. 

Yes, we got off the Niuew Amsterdam and that Is on all the dinner  menus in the MDR. Quite a shock, although we rarely ordered two entrees. Keeps down the waste, although you can still go to the buffet, overload you’re plate, take 8 rolls and then almost all of it  

Edited by LynnTTT
Typing
  • Like 1

I was just on the NA. I can confirm that there was a 10 charge for extra entrees. I was told that this was "across the entire cruise line," and that it was a "trial."

I made the mistake of thinking that I booked the NS, but instead booked the NA. Can someone confirm that the NS didn't have this $10 penalty plz?

4 hours ago, DrSea said:

I was just on the NA. I can confirm that there was a 10 charge for extra entrees. I was told that this was "across the entire cruise line," and that it was a "trial."

Interesting, could this be another unannounced HAL policy change? Maybe a trial but it will leave a bad taste in the mouths of many here.

4 hours ago, DrSea said:

I made the mistake of thinking that I booked the NS, but instead booked the NA. Can someone confirm that the NS didn't have this $10 penalty plz?

As of the past two weeks, ending Sunday, Feb 24, the NS did NOT have this extra charge.

If this $10 charge is going to become policy fleetwide, what will e next, a $10 upcharge for a 4oz lobster tail on Gala nights? "You want the surf and turf, there will be a $10 charge for the Surf Sir" Seems like the mainstream cruise lines are finding more and more ways to nickel and dime their loyal customers at every turn.

8 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Seems like the mainstream cruise lines are finding more and more ways to nickel and dime their loyal customers at every turn.

Indeed. Between this and reading a long discussion yesterday on the Princess board about how they are removing the one chair with arms from all cabins below the mini-suite level, I feel Carnival has reached a new low.

Can't wait for 20 years from now when cruising will be "Bring your own sleeping bag" and all meals are a la carte.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Indeed. Between this and reading a long discussion yesterday on the Princess board about how they are removing the one chair with arms from all cabins below the mini-suite level, I feel Carnival has reached a new low

I heard about this from a friend, but removing the chairs has nothing to do with cost savings, but more to have more room in the smaller Veranda and below cabins. Supposedly in these cabins there is now nothing but beds to sit on in the cabin. Whether it cost or making more room seems to make no sense. 

Edited by terrydtx

10 hours ago, LynnTTT said:

Yes, we got off the Niuew Amsterdam and that Is on all the dinner  menus in the MDR. Quite a shock, although we rarely ordered two entrees. Keeps down the waste, although you can still go to the buffet, overload you’re plate, take 8 rolls and then almost all of it  

That's the thing that makes this stupid. You can get multiple portions at the buffet. And I don't see how they would charge for that--set up a check-out line at the end of the food line like a cafeteria????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

I heard about this from a friend, but removing the chairs has nothing to do with cost savings, but more to have more room in the smaller Veranda and below cabins. Supposedly in these cabins there is now nothing but beds to sit on in the cabin. Whether it cost or making more room seems to make no sense. 

I disagree that it has nothing to do with cost savings. While Princess is pushing the idea that they are removing the chairs to have more room, most Princess ships with the exception of the new class have had these chairs for 10 years or more -- why remove them now??  I have read the Princess boards for years and while there had been the rare complaint about the small tables in cabins being in the way, I don't recall EVER hearing anyone complain about the chair...

I suspect the real reasons have to do with either 1) getting folks to sit in public areas rather than their cabin, where they are more likely to spend money (buy a drink, pay for an activity) or 2) to save money on having to clean/reupholster/buy new chairs. After all, that's a whole lotta chairs on a fleet of 17 ships....

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Indeed. Between this and reading a long discussion yesterday on the Princess board about how they are removing the one chair with arms from all cabins below the mini-suite level, I feel Carnival has reached a new low.

Can't wait for 20 years from now when cruising will be "Bring your own sleeping bag" and all meals are a la carte.

(bold is mine)

Easycruise tried that model and failed.

4 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I disagree that it has nothing to do with cost savings. While Princess is pushing the idea that they are removing the chairs to have more room, most Princess ships with the exception of the new class have had these chairs for 10 years or more -- why remove them now??  I have read the Princess boards for years and while there had been the rare complaint about the small tables in cabins being in the way, I don't recall EVER hearing anyone complain about the chair...

I suspect the real reasons have to do with either 1) getting folks to sit in public areas rather than their cabin, where they are more likely to spend money (buy a drink, pay for an activity) or 2) to save money on having to clean/reupholster/buy new chairs. After all, that's a whole lotta chairs on a fleet of 17 ships....

Watch for them to appear on ebay?

9 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

That's the thing that makes this stupid. You can get multiple portions at the buffet. And I don't see how they would charge for that--set up a check-out line at the end of the food line like a cafeteria????

That could be next or they could try limiting you to one trip through the line.  On our Italy land trip last year one of our included  dinner  nights was a buffet at the hotel in Sorrento where we were booked, we were given a ticket that only allowed one trip through the buffet line. It was the worse meal on our 14 day tour too, it made us appreciate the food quality on HAL in the Lido buffets. 

Edited by terrydtx