One Main Course

djhsolara

Ok guys,

I started a maybe explosive discussion, questioning why everything has to be supersized.

and I am keeping that view.

the current main courses are more or less the size of a standard main course in Europe, and larger than in most of Asia.

It is plenty for most when having multi courses ( which is the main idea of the MDR)

this does not mean however that one should not have the opportunity to order additional and free dishes if so desired. I do too on occasion. But I do take offence of those who sample one or two bites and then discard the rest of the dish for other reasons than it being unsatisfactory.  It is simply bad manners and an insult to the chefs and more general Humanity.

• Like 4

Why couldn't it be a published policy (on the menu!) that HAL needs passenger assistance in limiting food waste.    The dining room staff know who is ordering and not eating and could easily mention to the Maitre'd who could make sure the passenger see's the food waste policy.    If the offense happens again....it's out of the MDR and ?????

If it isn't just another revenue source.......then there could be other ways to address it.   I do think people often have an "I paid for it attitude" which is still promoted in cruise line ad's......food is necessary, but it's also promoted as limitless on ships and that has a very long history!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Despegue said:

But I do take offence of those who sample one or two bites and then discard the rest of the dish for other reasons than it being unsatisfactory.  It is simply bad manners

I wholeheartedly agree that customer food waste (different from poorly prepared) is something that should be watched and managed. Maybe a variation on @thyme2go's idea...

23 minutes ago, Despegue said:

and an insult to the chefs and more general Humanity

Well, that's a bit over-dramatic. The chefs I'm very close to know that tastes are different and although they prepared a dish well, some customers may not like it. They accept it as "different strokes for different folks".

And the insult to humanity? If you're talking about food waste, that would be way down on my list. I'd start with water waste and energy waste -- both of which are more damning to humanity. Or simple "common" courtesy and respect.

That being said, I've done my part to beat this discussion to death.

For me, what HAL does with this issue will help determine if what HAL offers and I what I look for in a vacation are in line, or whether other cruises or air/land vacations will provide me more enjoyment.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

How would you observe this unless you were in each of those venues at the same time?

Thanks Cruzaholic,,, I was thinking  the same thing

They must also be at Lido followed by dinner in MDR in order to make those  comments.    But, they probably only went  to do  research,  for  their 'paper' about gluttony and over eating on

cruise ships...  going    for  Phd   as Dietician    Thy didn't eat  in Lido and only nibbled later in MDR. 😉   

Hmmm, what about late night snack in Lido?

image.png.b006fdcf6ccf3457ec61071ec91508f5.png

Sail.Noordam@gmail.com

Edited by sail7seas

1 hour ago, Despegue said:

Ok guys,

I started a maybe explosive discussion, questioning why everything has to be supersized.

and I am keeping that view.

the current main courses are more or less the size of a standard main course in Europe, and larger than in most of Asia.

It is plenty for most when having multi courses ( which is the main idea of the MDR)

this does not mean however that one should not have the opportunity to order additional and free dishes if so desired. I do too on occasion. But I do take offence of those who sample one or two bites and then discard the rest of the dish for other reasons than it being unsatisfactory.  It is simply bad manners and an insult to the chefs and more general Humanity.

People will react negatively to those things closest to themselves...

When having to dine in the MDR with a group of strangers, it seems a bit selfish to have the others at the table wait while you have a server order another round for yourself and then have to wait as you eat the second round.  If you are at a table yourself, or your family, go ahead.  How about that idea? 

I love the idea of a tasting plate.  Someone should kick that idea up to Seattle.  Produce the same amount of food, less waste when people order multiple courses "to see if they like it", and don't finish all they ordered.  When done with the MDR dinner, if you are not satisfied, head over to the buffet to augment.   Personally, I think the portions are just right.  In Italy, I am able to order maybe 2 courses (appetizer and main) and not feel gluttonous and overstuffed at the end of the meal.  In the US, I can't order both without either leaving some behind or feeling overstuffed because the food was too damn good.  I love food.  I love the buffet because I can custom-create a good salad as a main course for myself, or take a 2-bite sample of something.  Yes, I get squeamish when I see people with plates loaded with 10 pieces of bacon, 5 Danish, eggs, etc.   I believe food and my meal should be a celebration and experience (regardless of it's origin - McDonalds or La Pergola), not just an intake of however much I can eat.  

I was married to a high-energy athlete - I knew him since I was introduced to him by a friend our freshman year in college.  His eating habits were no different from the rest of us.  When he retired from his sport competitively, he didn't have a trouble with weight.  Now, one of his friends was a Center for an NFL football team.  Linemen are known for all the weight they carry (NFL average is around 300lbs) - he never met a morsel of food he didn't like.  When he retired, he struggled with that weight.  Different strokes, I guess.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Jareds_mommytoo said:

My teen was worried and emailed them about it 

70E7F56E-28EA-48FA-9DE7-DFA18CA40693.jpeg

Good for your teen to take action and ask!

The language is pretty waffly, though. "No general change" whatever that means and  "At this time" which could mean don't bet on tomorrow.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

He could probably send several emails and get several different answers.  The bottom line is that in the real world, they're experimenting with this as a trial per people's reports + the ship's services response the poster earlier received.  

1 hour ago, bEwAbG said:

He could probably send several emails and get several different answers.  The bottom line is that in the real world, they're experimenting with this as a trial per people's reports + the ship's services response the poster earlier received.  

Of course I would get one of the two ships in the entire fleet that would have this stupid policy. 

I felt cheated on my cruise. Why do I get a different dining experience when others get to treat the MDR as a buffet, esp since one of my guests specifically called to ask that there was no fee for additional entrees. 

First and last time I sail with HAL (there were other more egregious reasons why I won't be sailing too. To clarify, this was just the tip of the iceberg)

18 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

No, no it really doesn't. I don't dwell on others eating habits nor do I judge people and find them "disgusting" for enjoying some happy indulgence on their vacation, generally hard earned. And I certainly wouldn't be "scarred for life" over a rank stranger's eating.:classic_rolleyes:

Did it ever occur to you that those same people you malign as gluttons may produce far more revenue for the cruise line than you do? Maybe they gamble or buy various cruise line services? 

Goodness, some folks must have  a great deal of spare time on their hands for hand wringing and pearl clutching over what and how much other people eat.

👏

This is just dumb in so many ways.      

Yes, we've done it.    We've ordered a pasta entree for all to share at the table.    But there have been plenty of meals where we have all skipped dessert or an appetizer.    So if we order a pasta to share, will HAL reduce the $10 fee to allow for the desserts we skipped?    Of course not.     I have no doubt there are some who order A LOT of food.    But I would argue there are plenty who eat like birds and order very little.    I volunteer at a homeless shelter and there are some who come through the line and ask for extra and then throw it away after eating only two bites.    There also some who eat every single morsel.     And third, there are those who come through the line and ask for smaller portions or will ask you to leave something off their plate.

You'll never get me to believe this doesn't even out.   

How many on here eat a lot on the first couple of days and find yourself eating a lot LESS by the end of the cruise (especially on a 12 or 14 day)?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Crusinsusan2 said:

Oh come on! Anyone that can not find something desirable to their individual or dietary needs and the needed quantity of it they require on a HAL cruise 24/7 regardless of venue is most likely eating way too often or WAY too much or taking advantage because they feel they can. Over the years we have observed more than some folks at the early Lido buffet dinner for "pre-game" dinner then on on to MDR for "real dinner", then back to Lido for "post" before it closes and back again to the 10:30 buffet. I for one would welcome an additional charge for this gluttony that in most cases unless just doing small tastings is disgusting. This behavior diminishes the quality Hal can afford to provide for what they charge and hurts the average loyal consumer that desires HAL 's quality much less than quantity. Can you order another entree or two or three at any land based restaurant at the same meal without paying for it?  Makes one wonder how much the grocery bills are at home for these people. Do they actually provision and cook? Can they abuse the local restaurants they frequent and demand more food  if they feel short changed?  Maybe cheaper to cruise. Sorry for the vent but our last two cruises we saw it all and it scarred me for life on the overeating and over ordering 🙂 

This raises the question of why are you following some people around the ship and taking notes on their eating habits ?   A pretty boring way to enjoy a cruise.   Do you also monitor the number of drinks that people with the beverage package have ?

• Like 5

18 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

No, no it really doesn't. I don't dwell on others eating habits nor do I judge people and find them "disgusting" for enjoying some happy indulgence on their vacation, generally hard earned. And I certainly wouldn't be "scarred for life" over a rank stranger's eating.:classic_rolleyes:

Did it ever occur to you that those same people you malign as gluttons may produce far more revenue for the cruise line than you do? Maybe they gamble or buy various cruise line services? 

Goodness, some folks must have  a great deal of spare time on their hands for hand wringing and pearl clutching over what and how much other people eat.

Bravo fatcat04, very well stated.   Following people around the ship and taking notes of what they eat and where they eat it..... wow.... what a strange way of enjoying a cruise.

These are the same folks that consider anyone that purchases the signature beverage package as candidates for the daily Bill W. meetings. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, TAD2005 said:

Following people around the ship and taking notes of what they eat and where they eat it..... wow.... what a strange way of enjoying a cruise.

Someone orders a nice desert, and pays for it, or doesn't, that doesn't even matter, then eats the strawberry on top, and then asks the waiter to take away the rest. Explaining to the rest of the table that he really likes strawberries. I don't need to take notes to decide how much I like that person or whom I'm not sitting next to the next evening.

Edited by AmazedByCruising
  • Like 1

FYI- on our Roll Call it's reported by people on the current Eurodam cruise that there IS  $10 surcharge for extra entree at dinner.

"We're currently on board Eurodam,  and yes there is $10 surcharge for 2md entree. Same in Pinaccle Grill."

On 2/26/2019 at 4:48 PM, OlsSalt said:

Be sure to tack on the "empty calories" provided by alcohol, that add heavily to the daily calorie consumption when cruising.

Booze is like drinking liquid sugar....I agree  like 100Kal per oz.... add mixer  and you have more Kal than a 4 oz steak   or 10 oz of lobster.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Once upon a time?  No.  Now?  Yes! 

Well I think me  and about everyone else..... Too the same goes for drinking    This is where the company makes $$$ on the liquor package.... Imagine buying a  20 ro 30 Day.        Maybe when you were 21-22 you might   break even.... not at 60

On 2/27/2019 at 1:12 PM, sail7seas said:

The fares I just paid for my two upcoming cruises, are not "cheap fares'.

sail.nordam@gmail.com

Compared  to many other options... yes I consider them  very reasonable as long as you dont book a cabin above Ocean View.  Above Ocean View  the prices are, in many cases  Higher than the inclusive and partial inclusive lines..  A  lot more

On 2/27/2019 at 1:47 PM, cruisemom42 said:

For the most part, yes.

Sometimes on lower category cabins you may "only" pay 175% or 180% rather than 200% -- but that almost never happens for any category from veranda upward.

As a long-time solo cruiser, it's less maddening to look at the overall cost per day rather than the supplement. Thus, I tend to look for cruises that are being discounted for one reason or another rather than looking for a reduction in the solo supplement.

I some times sail Solo...and HAL always nails me with 200%....... so I dont book upper classes    I choose HAL  for the  itinerary   I know its strengths and weaknesses  and I accept that......   When I want ambiance on a cruise and cuisine  I book other options..  And pay surprising little more pp/pd    It is surprising to me how little difference in cost there really is.

15 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

FYI- on our Roll Call it's reported by people on the current Eurodam cruise that there IS  $10 surcharge for extra entree at dinner.

"We're currently on board Eurodam,  and yes there is $10 surcharge for 2md entree. Same in Pinaccle Grill."

That is the second ship doing the test besides the NA.  Then two other ships are testing the concept of the extra charge just on the Gala nights.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Well I think me  and about everyone else..... Too the same goes for drinking    This is where the company makes $$$ on the liquor package.... Imagine buying a  20 ro 30 Day.        Maybe when you were 21-22 you might   break even.... not at 60

"Imagine buying 20 or 30 a day".  I assume you mean drinks.   A little education is needed here.  The regular beverage package (SBP) costs $51.70 per day including the 15% service charge.   An average drink on HAL is $7.95 plus 15 %, or $9.14, if you are paying as you go, without the package.   Divide $51.70 by $9.14 and you get 5.6 drinks.   Your 6th drink, and up to 15 are free.   On cruises with lots of sea days, it is very easy to go over 5 drinks.   If your cruises have a port every day,  and you're off the ship from 9 to 4,  the SBP may not pay for itself.  We have always found the SBP to save us money on our cruises, because we always take longer cruises, 21 days and up, with loads of sea days, and we are both 70.  And before you say it, we are not stumbling drunks, or ready to join the Bill W. crowd.   

"Me and about everyone else"

If you have your personal opinions on how much people should eat or drink on cruises, that's wonderful.  But it appears that you think that everyone agrees with your personal choices for food and beverages on cruises.  Everybody has their own personal standards and are on vacation, so they don't need others monitoring or criticizing their food or beverage consumption.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TAD2005 said:

"Imagine buying 20 or 30 a day".  I assume you mean drinks.   A little education is needed here.  The regular beverage package (SBP) costs $51.70 per day including the 15% service charge.   An average drink on HAL is $7.95 plus 15 %, or $9.14, if you are paying as you go, without the package.   Divide $51.70 by $9.14 and you get 5.6 drinks.   Your 6th drink, and up to 15 are free.   On cruises with lots of sea days, it is very easy to go over 5 drinks.   If your cruises have a port every day,  and you're off the ship from 9 to 4,  the SBP may not pay for itself.  We have always found the SBP to save us money on our cruises, because we always take longer cruises, 21 days and up, with loads of sea days, and we are both 70.  And before you say it, we are not stumbling drunks, or ready to join the Bill W. crowd.   

"Me and about everyone else"

If you have your personal opinions on how much people should eat or drink on cruises, that's wonderful.  But it appears that you think that everyone agrees with your personal choices for food and beverages on cruises.  Everybody has their own personal standards and are on vacation, so they don't need others monitoring or criticizing their food or beverage consumption.

I was remarking on the average person I have seen on long cruises, myself included, for both eating and drinking.  In the beginning consumption is high for everything.  Then slowly as the days pass, ever so slowly, ones consumption goes down and down and down as  days become weeks.   Its not new any more...      If your different , then your different, your not, however, the  average person I have met.    As for drinking... putting down  half a pint a day  day after day for weeks for most in your age bracket ( which is mine too) just  isn't sustainable without getting ill.      If you can do  it great.    I just offered my observations  as a point to consider. for others. who are weighing the idea..   

By the end of a 28 day cruise, with lots of sea time, I am down to drinking maybe 1 or 2 drinks from 6-7 at the start     I have had the packages on other lines and  they pay off well for the short run  but not for the long run., for me , and  most of the fellow passengers I have met

Too eating  1.5 to 2 meals a day   skipping lunches entirely.

As I said.... you may be unique in your ability  to tolerate a high consumption.    Good for you.