One Main Course

djhsolara

Here's another aspect of this surcharge that will be a nuisance. The waiter is going to have to take your card and process the charge. They're already overworked, and this is another thing they have to deal with. And another thing you're going to have to monitor on your account.

• Like 5

On 2/25/2019 at 1:34 PM, TiogaCruiser said:

There would be a record of that.

But after the MDR you could go to the buffet for a top up., lol.

Edited by NSWP

7 hours ago, VTcruisenut said:

This appeared on a FB page today: 

March 1, 2019

(9:50 a.m. EST) -- In an effort to crack down on food waste, Holland America Line is testing a menu upcharge in the main dining room of four ships.

Passengers sailing on Nieuw Amsterdam, Eurodam, Zuiderdam and Oosterdam will notice the option to order a second entree for $10. First courses as well as starters, desserts and other menu items will continue to be offered on a complimentary basis, in traditional main dining room fashion; there will be no additional fee to order a second starter or dessert.

"Over the years we have upgraded the menu, and we have experienced that guests occasionally order additional main courses they simply can't finish," a spokesperson for Holland America told Cruise Critic. "Holland America Line has made great efforts to reduce food waste and with this we can better determine if guests who order a second entree will truly enjoy it."

One test involves charging $10 for a second entree only on Gala Nights, while a second trial charges $10 every night. Holland America plans to evaluate the results in late March 2019 and make a decision based on its findings.

Sounds like a good test! Thanks for posting this.

From the article it says to reduce food waste as a reason for the upcharge... what a ridiculous explanation. Is there a person that inspects every plate as the waiter tosses it in the garbage? Also what if I don’t like a dish that I ordered? Will I have to pay $10 for a new entree because my original order will add to the food waste pile? Just a ridiculous move HAL

• Like 2

I think it’s terrible. I understand a dining room upcharge for an entree from a specialty restaurant, but to me charging for regular menu items just cheapens the whole cruise dining experience. Ordinarily I would never order an extra entree, but there have been many times our waiter has brought out something extra for the table to try. Is that gone? What about asking for an appetizer sized portion of an entree? I know that’s gone from the Pinnacle Grill without paying for a second entree, and I have to assume it will now be gone from the dining room too.

I have so many questions...Why single out the MDR when the greatest food waste is in the buffet? What if someone genuinely dislikes something? Where do they draw the line? What’s next? A la Carte pricing in the dining room? Oh, you want your pie a la mode? Cruise card, please!

I realize cruising has changed and all the lines are looking for ways to save money, but I hate to feel like I’m being followed by someone holding out a collection plate for my whole vacation. This seems like HAL is trying to pry every last nickel and dime they can get out of the passengers. I think this is a slippery slope that most of us don’t want to see the cruise lines go down.

Just my opinion.

• Like 4

If HAL want to cut down on Food Waste, they should start with the Buffet! There is where people fill plates and don't eat ALL. This $10 Charge in the MDR is BS, it's just to make more profit!! If your first choice isn't to you liking order something different. If they charge you Dispute it with you Credit Card Co. They will take it off your statement. Complain Direct to Guest Services. DON"T wait until you get home. That's too late!!

• Like 3

On 2/26/2019 at 6:06 AM, cruisemom42 said:

Indeed. Between this and reading a long discussion yesterday on the Princess board about how they are removing the one chair with arms from all cabins below the mini-suite level, I feel Carnival has reached a new low.

Can't wait for 20 years from now when cruising will be "Bring your own sleeping bag" and all meals are a la carte.

Removing the chairs is another ridiculous move. I can’t imagine being on a long cruise or a cruise with lots of sea days in a cabin where one of two people has to use the bed as the only place to sit.

• Like 1

Had dinner with some friends last night who  got off the Zuiderdam last month and they are 4 star mariners. They said the food in the MDR was the worst of any past HAL cruise. It had been 18 months since their last HAL cruise, but they noticed a very big difference in quality and portion sizes since that last cruise. We discussed this new $10 second entrée charge and they said there were several nights that he was temped to order a second entrée because of the portion sizes. One night they had a poached fish that couldn't have been more than 3oz in size and another the 2 lamb chops served were maybe a 1/4" thick. He almost ordered seconds both nights but didn't, instead he got 2 desserts.  They said the overall menus were not very inspiring or well paired with the offered appetizers. My friend was not happy about the new $10 charge and sees it as just more gauging for higher profits by HAL. BTW the $10 charge had not gone into effect on their cruise last month.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

I recommend all onboard the affected ships to order  a second main course if still hungry and REFUSE to pay for it, making a huge issue out of it, demanding to speak to the Maitre D’hotel, organize yourself if you must.

do not accept ridiculous “test” policies when you have payed a large sum for an expected service.

Only by massive backlash onboard will HAL cancel this test and call it a failure. No action will result in implementation.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Despegue said:

I recommend all onboard the affected ships to order  a second main course if still hungry and REFUSE to pay for it, making a huge issue out of it, demanding to speak to the Maitre D’hotel, organize yourself if you must.

do not accept ridiculous “test” policies when you have payed a large sum for an expected service.

Only by massive backlash onboard will HAL cancel this test and call it a failure. No action will result in implementation.

This almost sounds like a mutiny, but if I was on a cruise and this new policy had not been explained prior to booking I would be doing exactly what you are suggesting. For new HAL customers this is probably no big deal, but for those if us who are HAL's loyal customers, this is grounds to start looking to other brands or to resist the change and make our voices heard.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

Is there anyone who has actually experienced the $10 charge?  So far all that has been written is that there may be a charge.  My apology if I missed someone's experience.   We were on the Koningsdam last Oct-Nov and our experience was way different than we are reading here.  The size of the portions in the MDR were more than acceptable and very pleased with them. 

• Thanks 1

Only by assertively, and by mass, objecting onboard will this go away.

this does however not mean to be unpolite to the hardworking crew who are only following orders.

ALWAYS be respectful, but do voice your complaint and kindly refuse the new policy.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, boards said:

Is there anyone who has actually experienced the $10 charge?  So far all that has been written is that there may be a charge.  My apology if I missed someone's experience.   We were on the Koningsdam last Oct-Nov and our experience was way different than we are reading here.  The size of the portions in the MDR were more than acceptable and very pleased with them. 

If you read through this long thread you will see that several CC members have posted that this has been printed on the daily menus in the MDR and they were reporting while on the cruise. Also HAL has confirmed on FB (see post #306) that this is being done currently as a test on 4 HAL ships. The test will be evaluated at the end of this month and a decision will be made whether to go fleetwide.

Edited by terrydtx

16 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

If you read through this long thread you will see that several CC members have posted that this has been printed on the daily menus in the MDR and they were reporting while on the cruise. Also HAL has confirmed on FB (see post #306) that this is being done currently as a test on 4 HAL ships. The test will be evaluated at the end of this month and a decision will be made whether to go fleetwide.

Thank you.  I hope that it will not include asking an extra lobster on the "Surf and Turf" dinner.   I asked for an extra one for the first time on our last cruise and got it.  Won't do it again if it does.

23 minutes ago, boards said:

Is there anyone who has actually experienced the $10 charge?

I've read all of the related posts and have yet to see anyone reporting that they were charged the $10 or were at a table where someone else was charged. There are lots of possible explanations, but maybe it just isn't such a big deal to those on ships experiencing the trial.

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

I've read all of the related posts and have yet to see anyone reporting that they were charged the $10 or were at a table where someone else was charged. There are lots of possible explanations, but maybe it just isn't such a big deal to those on ships experiencing the trial.

Thank you, that is what I was wondering too!!

6 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Here is a link to the dinner menu from another thread from Feb 27th by  richwmn on the NA. At the bottom of the menu you will see the new charge clearly printed.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=433562

Edited by terrydtx

Just now, terrydtx said:

Here is a link to the dinner menu from another thread from Feb 27th by  richwmn on the NA. At the bottom of the menu you will see the new charge clearly printed.

file:///C:/Users/OWNER/AppData/Local/Packages/Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe/TempState/Downloads/Feb27dinner%20(1).pdf

I think you are missing my point. I've no question about the menu, and in fact if you go back you'll see that I provided a link to richwmn's uploaded menu with the new charge printed on it. That said, I have yet to see a post from anyone onboard who has actually reported being charged the $10 or has seen anyone else being charged.

9 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I think you are missing my point. I've no question about the menu, and in fact if you go back you'll see that I provided a link to richwmn's uploaded menu with the new charge printed on it. That said, I have yet to see a post from anyone onboard who has actually reported being charged the $10 or has seen anyone else being charged.

So you want to believe that even though its clearly printed on the menu, HAL is not charging the $10 fee? The OP even said they were told by their server that there was a $10 fee for a second entrée ordered, so you can be assured it is happening to passengers who are ordering seconds. Maybe so far no CC member has ordered a second entrée or has reported so in this thread, that doesn't mean it is not happening.

Edited by terrydtx

Just now, terrydtx said:

So you want to believe that even though its clearly printed on the menu, HAL is not charging the $10 fee? 

terrydtx, you need to slow down, read and actually try to understand posts before rushing out a rejoinder. Go back to my post 341 where I said "There are lots of possible explanations". While I suppose that HAL simply not charging the $10 fee is one possible explanation, it is neither the most likely nor one that I "want to believe".

I have ordered an entree based on the description in the menu only to discover when it was served it was something completely different - and not in a good way. I then ordered something I knew I would recognize. If that happens on my next cruise I guess I am going to be charge $10 for it, leaving me with a sour taste in my mouth (pun intended). Is this how HAL wants to treat its long time customers? I usually travel with my two sons who appear to be HALs new demographic - and they won't choose HAL if this policy goes fleet wide. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

terrydtx, you need to slow down, read and actually try to understand posts before rushing out a rejoinder. Go back to my post 341 where I said "There are lots of possible explanations". While I suppose that HAL simply not charging the $10 fee is one possible explanation, it is neither the most likely nor one that I "want to believe".

Maybe you should follow your own advice.

• Like 1

Also, I often do the Food and Wine tour from the ship!

I’m on Voyage of the Vikings this year! Least expensive cabin is $15,000 for a solo!
If I order a salad, they were listed as entree in 2018, and a real entree and they charge me $10 extra, they will never see me again on a HAL cruise!
Furthermore, on port days, I never have breakfast or lunch on the ship! I do often order two protein because I do not eat a high carb diet!
Someone posted this on another page

March 1, 2019
(9:50 a.m. EST) -- In an effort to crack down on food waste, Holland America Line is testing a menu upcharge in the main dining room of four ships.
Passengers sailing on Nieuw Amsterdam, Eurodam, Zuiderdam and Oosterdam will notice the option to order a second entree for $10. First courses as well as starters, desserts and other menu items will continue to be offered on a complimentary basis, in traditional main dining room fashion; there will be no additional fee to order a second starter or dessert.
"Over the years we have upgraded the menu, and we have experienced that guests occasionally order additional main courses they si mply can't finish," a spokesperson for Holland America told Cruise Critic. "Holland America Line has made great efforts to reduce food waste and with this we can better determine if guests who order a second entree will truly enjoy it."
One test involves charging $10 for a second entree only on Gala Nights, while a second trial charges $10 every night. Holland America plans to evaluate the results in late March 2019 and make a decision based on its findings.

The problem is many of the salads are an entree!
Rotterdam and Veendam in 2018 had the salads listed as entree

• Like 1

Also, I often do the Food and Wine tour from the ship!

I’m on Voyage of the Vikings this year! Least expensive cabin is $15,000 for a solo!
If I order a salad, they were listed as entree in 2018, and a real entree and they charge me $10 extra, they will never see me again on a HAL cruise!
Furthermore, on port days, I never have breakfast or lunch on the ship! I do often order two protein because I do not eat a high carb diet!
Someone posted this on another page

March 1, 2019
"Over the years we have upgraded the menu, and we have experienced that guests occasionally order additional main courses they si mply can't finish," a spokesperson for Holland America told Cruise Critic. "Holland America Line has made great efforts to reduce food waste and with this we can better determine if guests who order a second entree will truly enjoy it."

The problem is many of the salads are an entree!
Rotterdam and Veendam in 2018 had the salads listed as entree

• Like 1