One Main Course

djhsolara

15 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

The menu used to separate out appetizers from the soups/salads.  Now they're jumbled together as starters.  So we oftentimes also order an app, and then a soup or salad, then our main course. We are creative with the "starter" category.

Seems  HAL menu 's are strange.... this  makes things interestting

33 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

There is a restriction on 3P links so I did not include it -- but it is a cruise oriented website - on the history of the industry. I find if I cut out a part of the text above and put that verbatim text into a search function line it will bring up the original article.  

Thanks I found it (Chapter 11 of the study:->)

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Yes  your right ...I think the  complaints posted here  will only serve to allow people to vent. 

In the big picture, I dont think  management will be affected  to any extent. 

Seriously I think the $10 is both minuscule and appropriate to the situation.   Hey don't they charge $15 for Caneleo ( the worst Italian I have ever tasted)  that used to be free?   Don't they charge like $20 on top of  $35  for the pinnacle for some entrees or a second course ?       No one is complaining about  those..... that is my point about $10 ( which people lay down close to that. without a second thought for a happy meal without a second thought)

I will confess that personally, I feel ordering 2 of anything is just plain excessive and poor manners.   In a 4 course dinner I seldom order more than 2 or 3 courses and savor them.  The exception being tasting menus..    That's me, that's where I am coming from...you dont have to agree..that's OK... if you disagree I dont hate you !

Well, I'll complain about them....I don't eat there either, EVER! 

Well, let me tell you our scenario. My husband doesn't waste his time on an appetizer or a salad, he's a meat man. So he's going to order 2 of them. He doesn't do dessert, either. So, now are you calling that excessive and poor manners? Please tell me now, because I can't tell if your last name is Post. If so, let Emily speak.

There are lots of things I can't stand in restaurants and the people that eat in them, but I'm not going to be telling anyone what they can or can't order. I've seen a huge amount of waste, but most of it is in the Lido and if you really want to see waste, see what parents and their kids waste on Disney Cruise Line.

My pet peeve is people who don't chew with their mouth closed. Hey, HAL, how about a fee for that?

The charge for an additional entree is asinine. If people are ordering food that they don't eat, then have the head waiter come to their table and inform them that if they do that again, that there will be an additional charge. 

So, my husband and I don't waste food and if HAL wants to charge us as though we do, we will look into other cruise lines or we will do our vacations on land on our own terms.

Edited by wombatKY
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, wombatKY said:

Well, I'll complain about them....I don't eat there either, EVER! 

Well, let me tell you our scenario. My husband doesn't waste his time on an appetizer or a salad, he's a meat man. So he's going to order 2 of them. He doesn't do dessert, either. So, now are you calling that excessive and poor manners? Please tell me now, because I can't tell if your last name is Post. If so, let Emily speak.

There are lots of things I can't stand in restaurants and the people that eat in them, but I'm not going to be telling anyone what they can or can't order. I've seen a huge amount of waste, but most of it is in the Lido and if you really want to see waste, see what parents and their kids waste on Disney Cruise Line.

My pet peeve is people who don't chew with their mouth closed. Hey, HAL, how about a fee for that?

The charge for an additional entree is asinine. If people are ordering food that they don't eat, then have the head waiter come to their table and inform them that if they do that again, that there will be an additional charge. 

So, my husband and I don't waste food and if HAL wants to charge us as though we do, we will look into other cruise lines or we will do our vacations on land on our own terms.

Bingo. Find another cruise line. Problem solved. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, kazu said:

There’s lots of people on board.  few complain - in fact usually only 1 of 9 do fervently.  The rest just talk with their wallets and leave.

If HAL isn’t smart enough to listen to those that are complaining they are definitely going to be missing the boat.  JMVHO though of course.

Feel free to agree to disagree but it’s a fact.  I worked in business long enough to know that if someone spoke up and it was justified, they were doing you a favour.

The number I have always heard is that 1 customer who actually complains represents 10 customers who were dissatisfied and stop dealing with the business.  Whether it is 9 or 10, though, a complaining customer is NOT -just- one customer.  That one customer is a representative of other dissatisfied customers.  (Assuming, of course, that the complaint is reasonable, justified, and not some attempt to scam.....)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, wombatKY said:

If people are ordering food that they don't eat, then have the head waiter come to their table and inform them that if they do that again, that there will be an additional charge. 

I can totally see that happen. "Excuse me sir, but I've been brought to the attention that you didn't eat all of your lobster tail". "Who said that?" "Your waiter, whose tip should not be affected by this event in any way as he's just following the procedures in order to protect the environment, reduce waste and general happiness aboard this ship, which is expected from all of our employees". "*****" "Please do allow me to guide you to the naughty chair"

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Bingo. Find another cruise line. Problem solved. 

Really?  Rather than fix the problem you'd rather HAL lost customers?

HAL would far rather people played Bingo than lose customers, I'm betting.  JMVHO though.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

As to HAL, their business model seems to be almost no model at all :(.  Different ships seem to operate with different rules/standards

Consistency of cruise product offered on whatever ship one sailed used to be a hallmark of HAL.  For some time, that consistency is the inconsistency that one experiences during a cruise.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

The menu used to separate out appetizers from the soups/salads.  Now they're jumbled together as starters.  So we oftentimes also order an app, and then a soup or salad, then our main course. We are creative with the "starter" category.

That is exactly what I do.  Since the advent of this type of menu, it  has sparked conversation along my cruise experienced tablemates and me as to why appetizers, soups, salads are all jumbled together.  Usually, we all agree:  it is to discourage the novice cruiser from ordering more than one item from that category.  

I experienced this on my Nieuw Statendam cruise.  At my table, a newbie was seated with a friend who had sailed on HAL.  The others of us also had HAL experience.  The gentleman indicated that he had trouble choosing between an appetizer and a soup for that first course.  We ALL said:  choose both.  "I can do that?" was his response.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

I can totally see that happen. "Excuse me sir, but I've been brought to the attention that you didn't eat all of your lobster tail". "Who said that?" "Your waiter, whose tip should not be affected by this event in any way as he's just following the procedures in order to protect the environment, reduce waste and general happiness aboard this ship, which is expected from all of our employees". "*****" "Please do allow me to guide you to the naughty chair"

Good post and this brings up a point.

How many people will remove the HSC because they are ticked at their waiter for doing this?

Heck, I don't always finish my entree - might not like it, might just be too much, whatever.  Going to chastise me for that?

The day someone comes and chastises how I eat my food they will get a LOAD of feedback why I didn't.

the first question should be "was everything not to your satisfaction?  Would you like something else?"  

I have read a lot of this topic but admit I skipped a few pages in the middle so I hope this is not redundant.  My concern about this policy is less about being charged for an extra entree (which I will admit to ordering on occasion) and more about whether this is just a test run at up-charging for other things in the MDR.   If they find they can get away with charging extra for the second serving, then maybe they start charging for the first serving of the better entrees, or even have one side of the menu available at an extra charge.   It is one thing to offer specialty restaurants or even special parts of the ship to those willing to pay more.  It is quite another to charge in the MDR.  

I would also mention if anyone at HAL is "listening" (since my two efforts to email you on your miserable webpage went down in flames) that my DH and I, recent HAL converts and close to retirement travelers, had been planning a HAL cruise this fall and have pretty much decided to go with another line.  Not because of this food issue per se,  but more because of what it reflects in terms of customer service.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kazu said:

Good post and this brings up a point.

How many people will remove the HSC because they are ticked at their waiter for doing this?

Heck, I don't always finish my entree - might not like it, might just be too much, whatever.  Going to chastise me for that?

The day someone comes and chastises how I eat my food they will get a LOAD of feedback why I didn't.

the first question should be "was everything not to your satisfaction?  Would you like something else?"  

I thought about that also. You are charging me 10, I’ll just remove 10 from the HSC,

Maybe they could make this a new 5 star benefit and only $5 for 4 star.

Forget about contacting them thru the website, try emailing: office of the president @hollandamerica.com.

16 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

That's not very fair is it? "This restaurant has the audacity to charge me extra for ordering extra food, let's punish the waiter". 

It really isn't and I would never do that, but isn't it a shame that the powers that be don't take that into consideration?

59 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

That's not very fair is it? "This restaurant has the audacity to charge me extra for ordering extra food, let's punish the waiter". 

Agreed, it is totally unfair -- but unfortunately it's the way many people think. I've read countless threads on CC where people are unhappy with something that happens onboard -- let's say a port is missed due to rough seas that some feel was a 'questionable' call -- and they take out their displeasure by removing or lowering the HSC. And then they come here and boast about it. :classic_huh:

• Like 3

We are talking about this on the princess board as well. I think this 10 dollars is just another way for the cruise line to make some extras cash. I think we can all agree that cruise lines are cutting everywhere and we all know there profits are up. All we can say going forward is let our cruise line know what we think. Hope they listen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, kazu said:

Really?  Rather than fix the problem you'd rather HAL lost customers?

HAL would far rather people played Bingo than lose customers, I'm betting.  JMVHO though.  

What can I say. I am in the camp with those who think the surcharge is a good idea. Who is HAL supposed to listen to? Do I also represent 10 other voices of approval.

It has gotten a little verbally dangerous to agree with this policy change on this thread, so how does HAL know the real approval/disapproval ration on this policy change test just by reading CC? Certainly the most vitriolic CC disapproval came after the unlimited in-cabin wine bottles change, yet HAL persisted. 

Obviously this test policy is extremely upsetting for many of the posters here - something that upsetting should lead to them seeking a less stressing vacation choice. I validate their choice to move on. Life is too short. 

Edited by OlsSalt

What can I say. I am in the camp with those who think the surcharge is a good idea. Who is HAL supposed to listen to? Do I also represent 10 other voices of approval.

It has gotten a little verbally dangerous to agree with this policy change on this thread, so how does HAL know the real approval/disapproval ration on this policy change test just by reading CC? Certainly the most vitriolic CC disapproval came after the unlimited in-cabin wine bottles change, yet HAL persisted. 

Obviously this test policy is extremely upsetting for many of the posters here - something that upsetting should lead to them seeking a less stressing vacation choice. I validate their choice to move on. Life is too short. 

I would love to know your reason why it’s a good move. What angle are you looking at this from

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tend to eat light breakfasts, I stay away from eggs, bacon, sausage.  Since I am not consuming those proteins do I get a credit?  I'm definitely not having as large a breakfast as many people. 

Maybe the late night buffet should have a $10 entrance fee. 

Maybe HAL should stop behaving like a bottom tier coin operated motel? 

This is just a revenue generator, not about waste.  When I pay THOUSANDS of dollars for a vacation, and know the company maybe spends $8-12 per person, per day, for all meals, I am *not* paying an extra $10 for an MDR entree.  There isn't an MDR entree on a cruise ship WORTH additional money on top of what I have paid. 

Corporate understands ONE language:  Money.  Removing $10 from HSC would get much more notice as to disapproval of this program than sending an email.  They would get the message loud and clear.  We order extra entrees once in a while to share and try something new.  I won't be nickle and dimed after spending thousands and I'll voice my displeasure the same on any cruise line; by speaking their language.  Believe me, it is the ONLY thing corporate understands.  

It's going to cost HAL thousands to get that $10 I think; they won't even recognize people that defected until it's too late. 

They should just charge you 50 cents to use a toilet

• Like 4

2 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Corporate understands ONE language:  Money.  Removing $10 from HSC would get much more notice as to disapproval of this program than sending an email.

Removing the $10 from HSC only penalizes the staff who have no control over the situation and have been put in the crosshairs. I would never advocate that. 

An email and/or comments on Twitter and Instagram will be effective. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

So has it occurred to you that some people might not be upset specifically at this change but because this change is the latest in a string of unpopular changes like the wine issue, the cutting of lido entertainment, the loss of a promenade deck, the Crows Nest change, etc?  HAL is becoming a different line and people don't like that.  I would think a loyalist such as yourself should be able to respect that and sympathize.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1