Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
djhsolara

One Main Course

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, wombatKY said:

 

I agree that the industry is headed that way, but they can head that way without me. I don't HAVE to go on a cruise. Do I enjoy it? I did for about 40 years but, I'm beginning not to because every time I book one, they tack on another fee or take something away from my experience.   

 

Surely, most people have a line in the sand?

 

If you don't, then you have an extra cabin available to invite one of your friends.

For many years, DW and I spent our winter get away vacations diving and enjoying Caribbean resorts, mostly all inclusive. We considered cruises, but kept thinking that the cruise lines were gouging the passengers. Paying for "specialty" restaurants; charging for drinks; even asking passengers who had paid thousands for their cruise to pay for soft drinks. We eventually decided to give it a try in spite of this pricing strategy and have enjoyed cruising ever since. This $10 charge really doesn't upset us as much as many others here because see it as a simple continuation of a trend that has existed for many years, since before we started cruising.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RuthC said:

As my cruising life is winding down, I feel blessed that I was able to cruise so much when cruising was so much different than it is now. Not to mention what it is becoming.


Cruising when I started was a real get-away, with very limited means to get in touch with the outside world. It was a true way to relax. It was an elegant, refined way to spend sea days, with interesting and fun activities. Passengers truly were made to feel like guests. Food was delicious, varied, and there was plenty of it. People were outgoing, friendly, and went far outside the insular groups we see aboard today. The only 'rule' we were given to follow was "There are no strangers on board; there are only friends". People acted that way, too.

 

I certainly don't have as much cruising history as you do, RuthC, but HAD to say "thank you" for that remembrance of cruise days gone by -- I smiled thinking of some of the wonderful people we met, during relaxed, wonderful dinners -- dining stewards had (I think) 4 tables to look after, as did the assistant stewards.  And yes, as you mention, not only was the food interesting, our fellow passengers were, too ❤️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2019 at 7:39 PM, rkacruiser said:

I have been.  Not just two entrees, but other items as well.  A woman at our table was a severe over-order.  Her husband did not follow her example, but she would almost always order several of the entrees, take a bite or two or three--that's it.  The waste of food was obscene in my mind.   The Steward would then serve the next item.  I was seated at a table for 7, second seating, and we never made it out of dinner in time to see the full show except for once on a 14 day cruise.

 

Roz:  it happens, as God is my witness.

If charging $10 stops this kind of behavior, I am all for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, whogo said:

If charging $10 stops this kind of behavior, I am all for it.

 whogo,

 

Kindly look at my CC signature on my post.  What dining room behavior I described on this one cruise is extraordinarily atypical from any of my other cruises.

 

It's this "experimental" $10 charge for another entree in the MDR that is atypical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, RuthC said:

HAL has already started that, though. There is no place to sit in the inside cabins on the Pinnacle class ships. Baby steps, but steps nonetheless.

 

Haven't sailed any Pinnacle class ships yet, but have recently sailed inside cabins on Vista (Oosterdam) and Signature (Eurodam) class. We had no problem with comfortable places to sit on either of these vessels; both had a couch and at least one or two chairs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, wombatKY said:

Surely, most people have a line in the sand?

 

 

I believe that most do, but please don't call me Shirley..  Lol. :classic_biggrin: Let's see who gets it..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

 

I believe that most do, but please don't call me Shirley..  Lol. :classic_biggrin: Let's see who gets it..

 

Roger, Roger. :classic_biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

 

Haven't sailed any Pinnacle class ships yet, but have recently sailed inside cabins on Vista (Oosterdam) and Signature (Eurodam) class. We had no problem with comfortable places to sit on either of these vessels; both had a couch and at least one or two chairs.

The Koningsdam was the first HAL ship (excluding the Prinsendam, which wasn't designed as a HAL ship) that didn't have a love seat, or at least a chair, in the inside cabins. The Nieuw Statendam continued this change.
Other than the Prinsendam, most HAL inside cabins have both. Fewer love seats on the Vista/Signature ships, though. Even the newer insides on the Prinsendam, the cabins HAL added, have a love seat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

 

Roger, Roger. :classic_biggrin:

I picked a bad day to stop smoking...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KroozNut said:

 

I believe that most do, but please don't call me Shirley..  Lol. :classic_biggrin: Let's see who gets it..

 

Does anyone here speak Jive?

 

The 25 funniest quotes from Airplane!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

 

Does anyone here speak Jive?

 

The 25 funniest quotes from Airplane!

Please don’t post pictures of me on the forum Copper 🤪😇

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Despegue said:

Please don’t post pictures of me on the forum Copper 🤪😇

 

Me thinks your pilot's hat is a tad on the small side Commandant. Having said that, you have a pleasant smile :classic_wink:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As one of the passengers that will be included in this so called "test" (cash grab) on the NA in late March, I am extremely unhappy. Not because this will affect me monetarily wise, but the fact that HAL made no mention of this when I paid for the cruise. I expect to pay for the specialty restaurants/drink packages, etc, but not if by chance on one of the dinner nights, I feel like having a 2nd entree from their hit and miss MDR menu.

 

If HAL wants to properly test this out, they should give adequate notice to prospective cruisers on when and which ships would be affected. That way, people can book a cruise being fully informed. What HAL has done is cr*ppy business practice. I am surprised that not more people are looking at this as a bait and switch tactic from HAL.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just off Oosterdam.

 

On one of the gala nights ($10 for extra entree), my wife wanted a lobster tail to go with her veal chop rather than the "surf and turf" entree.   The entire surf and turf entree was brought to our table and we were charged $10.

 

I actually ordered the surf and turf.  The lobster tail was actually pretty good.  The "turf" may have been the worst steak I have ever had.  It had the appearance of a 6 oz fillet that had been slice in thirds.

 

I complained to the maitre d who was sympathetic but offered nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SJunie said:

I am surprised that not more people are looking at this as a bait and switch tactic from HAL.

As HAL has never stated that you are entitled to a free second main course, they really can't be accused of using a bait and switch tactic. Besides, if you take the time to read all the fine print in your cruise contract, you'll find that HAL can make changes to just about anything at just about any time. That port that you were dying to see and was the main reason that you booked your cruise? Well, HAL can change the itinerary at the last minute for any number of reasons and you have no recourse. This isn't just HAL, but industry wide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, SJunie said:

As one of the passengers that will be included in this so called "test" (cash grab) on the NA in late March, I am extremely unhappy. Not because this will affect me monetarily wise, but the fact that HAL made no mention of this when I paid for the cruise. I expect to pay for the specialty restaurants/drink packages, etc, but not if by chance on one of the dinner nights, I feel like having a 2nd entree from their hit and miss MDR menu.

 

If HAL wants to properly test this out, they should give adequate notice to prospective cruisers on when and which ships would be affected. That way, people can book a cruise being fully informed. What HAL has done is cr*ppy business practice. I am surprised that not more people are looking at this as a bait and switch tactic from HAL.

 

 

 

They probably wanted to slip this in "under the radar," knowing that it would be unpopular and might affect bookings--people might avoid the "test" ships and book a different ship. Doing it sort of last minute means they will have a typical passenger population to use as test subjects.

 

I hope HAL does some serious data collecting on this "test." Will there be fewer second orders compared to other ships/cruises? Will fewer people go to the MDR? Will the Lido see more food served?  Or is the only data to be collected "how much money did we rake in tonight?"

 

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, CruiseRQA said:

On one of the gala nights ($10 for extra entree), my wife wanted a lobster tail to go with her veal chop rather than the "surf and turf" entree.   The entire surf and turf entree was brought to our table and we were charged $10.

On our last cruise on the NA, I did the exact same thing with my veal chop and of course no $10 charge or complaints from the server. My wife had the steak with her lobster that she couldn't eat as it was overcooked and tough. She just ordered a second lobster tail. This was probably the only time I can remember ordering a second entrée on any cruise. I have sent some back because they were under or over cooked, but that shouldn't be the same thing as ordering a second entrée, but going forward who knows.

Edited by terrydtx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, CruiseRQA said:

Just off Oosterdam.

 

On one of the gala nights ($10 for extra entree), my wife wanted a lobster tail to go with her veal chop rather than the "surf and turf" entree.   The entire surf and turf entree was brought to our table and we were charged $10.

 

I actually ordered the surf and turf.  The lobster tail was actually pretty good.  The "turf" may have been the worst steak I have ever had.  It had the appearance of a 6 oz fillet that had been slice in thirds.

 

I complained to the maitre d who was sympathetic but offered nothing.

 

How did they handle the extra charge? Did the waiter ask for her cruise card when your wife ordered the extra lobster tail?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you think they will get a lot more food compaints now? Before on a cruise of something wasn’t cooked well, i woukd just order something else. On land if a steak or something isnt cooked well i send it back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

 

How did they handle the extra charge? Did the waiter ask for her cruise card when your wife ordered the extra lobster tail?

He explained that the extra entree would be $10 and as I was not to deny my wife her hoped for lobster tail, we said okay and he took our card.

 

 

Edited by CruiseRQA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, SJunie said:

As one of the passengers that will be included in this so called "test" (cash grab) on the NA in late March, I am extremely unhappy. Not because this will affect me monetarily wise, but the fact that HAL made no mention of this when I paid for the cruise. I expect to pay for the specialty restaurants/drink packages, etc, but not if by chance on one of the dinner nights, I feel like having a 2nd entree from their hit and miss MDR menu.

 

If HAL wants to properly test this out, they should give adequate notice to prospective cruisers on when and which ships would be affected. That way, people can book a cruise being fully informed. What HAL has done is cr*ppy business practice. I am surprised that not more people are looking at this as a bait and switch tactic from HAL.

 

 

 

Where in the cruise contract did HAL specifically notice passengers they could order as much food in unlimited quantities as they wished, regardless of whether they consumed it or not? Or are you relying on some personal perception of an unwritten sea-going tradition. All things in moderation is probably the better consideration to start with, noticed or not.

Edited by OlsSalt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OlsSalt said:

 

Where in the cruise contract did HAL specifically notice passengers they could order as much food in unlimited quantities as they wished, regardless of whether they consumed it or not? Or are you relying on some personal perception of an unwritten sea-going tradition. All things in moderation is probably the better consideration to start with, noticed or not.

 

For years, you were allowed to order extra or even encouraged by waiters to 'try' a little piece of 'this'.  The cruise lines set the expectation.

 

It didn't need to be in the contract but I do believe it says food is included. 😉 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, kazu said:

 

For years, you were allowed to order extra or even encouraged by waiters to 'try' a little piece of 'this'.  The cruise lines set the expectation.

 

It didn't need to be in the contract but I do believe it says food is included. 😉 

 

 

 

No problem assuming "food is included". The issue under discussion is whether "unlimited" food is included and whether this change deserves upfront passenger notice if it is not. .

 

There is a difference between informal operating procedure and offiicial policy. Used to be informal operating procedure was to not scrupulously bother with the wine punch cards for every glass. We were surprised how casual some of the waiters would be about that. When we mentioned this oversight to the waiters, they  just kind of laughed it off.  The informal "policy" that indicated was the wine is on us. 

 

 Then they got much stricter about wine policies, but I don't remember getting any official notice of this change. It just happened, and it was understood the prior more informal use of punch cards was  just a bit too  lax. Seemed very fair to us. This was a revenue commodity and it deserved its proper charging.

Edited by OlsSalt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CruiseRQA said:

Just off Oosterdam.

 

On one of the gala nights ($10 for extra entree), my wife wanted a lobster tail to go with her veal chop rather than the "surf and turf" entree.   The entire surf and turf entree was brought to our table and we were charged $10.

 

I actually ordered the surf and turf.  The lobster tail was actually pretty good.  The "turf" may have been the worst steak I have ever had.  It had the appearance of a 6 oz fillet that had been slice in thirds.

 

I complained to the maitre d who was sympathetic but offered nothing.

Finally, I have been waiting to hear from passengers who actually experienced the “test”.  Thanks for sharing. 

 

What was the mood / discussions  on board?  Did it seem like folks were upset with this change (aka “test”) or did they take it in stride?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

 

No problem assuming "food is included". The issue under discussion is whether "unlimited" food is included and whether this change deserves upfront passenger notice if it is not. .

 

There is a difference between informal operating procedure and offiicial policy. Used to be informal operating procedure was to not scrupulously bother with the wine punch cards for every glass. We were surprised how casual some of the waiters would be about that. When we mentioned this oversight to the waiters, they  just kind of laughed it off.  The informal "policy" that indicated was the wine is on us. 

 

 Then they got much stricter about wine policies, but I don't remember getting any official notice of this change. It just happened, and it was understood the prior more informal use of punch cards was  just a bit too  lax. Seemed very fair to us. This was a revenue commodity and it deserved its proper charging.

All due respect but I feel that comparison is a bit flawed. The wine cards had an official policy (of counting each glass as a punch) but the waiters just weren’t following it. There was never a policy of charging for an extra entree that people were breaking. It was always implied (and yes often encouraged) that one could order as much as one wanted. This has been the case as long as I’ve been cruising and likely long before my mere 36 years of age. 

 

I do agree with you that it can’t really be considered “bait and switch” in a legal sense since, as you correctly stated, there is nothing contractually stating one can have unlimited entrees. However, that doesn’t preclude it from being a bad business decision; obviously people are upset about it and customer impressions are almost everything in the hospitality business. This is not hospitable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...