One Main Course

djhsolara

5 minutes ago, VennDiagram said:

I have to ask 🙂  is it MY post you agree with? 😄

As a shareholder of CCL, it is your post with which I agree.  I don't approve of surcharges for anything in any dining venue.  

Even in the Pinnacle Grill, realizing that Caviar is expensive, is the surcharge applied to ordering this item reasonable?  How much profit is built into that price?

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, VennDiagram said:

Our recent experiences indicated that most of the "newbies" we met don't even go to the MDR, preferring the Lido for the more casual atmosphere.

We simply don't understand the fascination with the MDR.  Some seem act as if the MDR is the highlight of the cruising experience.  After a few attempts on several cruise lines, we rarely dine there.  Much prefer the Lido experience.

8 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

We simply don't understand the fascination with the MDR.  Some seem act as if the MDR is the highlight of the cruising experience.  After a few attempts on several cruise lines, we rarely dine there.  Much prefer the Lido experience.

Is it so hard to understand that everyone has their own preferences?  We are not all the same.

I work 45-50 hour weeks with a long commute each way and dread having to come home and make and serve dinner every night. When I'm on a cruise I want to sit down at a nice table with a table cloth and fine china and let someone else be the chef, server and clean up person. An interesting shared conversation with others is a big plus. 

No, I don't think it's a Michelin star event, but it beats having to wait in line, juggle things on a plate and then locate somewhere to park myself and my accoutrements. Only to do it all again if I want to eat my dinner in more than one course.

YMMV.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

To each his own and I truly do appreciate what you are saying about what you enjoy.

Why do I enjoy a MDR experience?  For dinner at home, I plan the menu, set the table, cook the dinner, serve the dinner, hopefully enjoy the fruits of my effort, clean up when done, and load the dishwasher.  In the MDR, I am welcomed to my table, presented a menu, served a glass of water with the Wine Steward visiting (soon after being seated, I hope), my order taken, courses graciously served one at a time, dessert order taken and served, and when I am ready to leave the table, I am wished a pleasant evening by one or both of my Stewards.

Maybe this explanation will help you to understand why the MDR experience is important to some of us cruisers?

• Like 7

2 hours ago, richstowe said:

Oh Brilliant . While we're at it I'm sick of subsidizing other people's sickness . I've never had any medical issues so let's get rid of the medical staff or make people pay though the nose . Also I've never had any security issues so let's can them . Plus why not charge those who have special dietary requirements , special need or children's programs as I don't use these . Why I bet there are tons of other staff whose services that I don't use so lets cut them out or charge people directly . Why I don't use the shampoo or hair caps either come to think of it .

Excellent ideas . We should all be furious about subsidizing other people's demands if we don't use those services . 

I do think there is a need for all the services you have mentioned and I don’t mind having them included in the cost or people making use of them.  FWIW I have never used the medical staff or children’s programs and I bring my own toiletries.  Security is always a necessity.  (Even if only to protect others from extreme reactions.  😜)

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, richstowe said:

Oh Brilliant . While we're at it I'm sick of subsidizing other people's sickness . I've never had any medical issues so let's get rid of the medical staff or make people pay though the nose . Also I've never had any security issues so let's can them . Plus why not charge those who have special dietary requirements , special need or children's programs as I don't use these . Why I bet there are tons of other staff whose services that I don't use so lets cut them out or charge people directly . Why I don't use the shampoo or hair caps either come to think of it .

Excellent ideas . We should all be furious about subsidizing other people's demands if we don't use those services . 

Hey, I hear you.--------Many seem to wonder why the cruise industry has gravitated to an extra charge policy on most stuff, or, in other words, the nickel and dime cruise. Well, there are a number of reasons, but here is one I notice quite often when we sail on an all-inclusive, ever been on one, interesting experience indeed, listening to your fellow cruisers.

"Free" booze?--Except many who don't drink constantly complain they are subsidizing drunks and those who do.-----Lobster, steak, caviar or escargots?---You constantly hear complaints from those on restricted diets, etc. that they don't like these extravagances included in the overall price of their cruise. Shore excursions are included--Except, many don't want to take those and suggest extra charges for shore excursions would be appropriate. Evening entertainment---Many don't like the theatre shows so prefer not to pay for such up front.

And this is on the "all inclusives"!!--- Anyway, you get the drift.

Edited by kennicott

2 hours ago, VennDiagram said:

That has also been our experience over 20ish cruises. 

Our recent experiences indicated that most of the "newbies" we met don't even go to the MDR, preferring the Lido for the more casual atmosphere.

I am also a shareholder, and not ALL shareholders appreciate this move.

This shareholder also votes NO to a surcharge 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

To each his own and I truly do appreciate what you are saying about what you enjoy.

Why do I enjoy a MDR experience?  For dinner at home, I plan the menu, set the table, cook the dinner, serve the dinner, hopefully enjoy the fruits of my effort, clean up when done, and load the dishwasher.  In the MDR, I am welcomed to my table, presented a menu, served a glass of water with the Wine Steward visiting (soon after being seated, I hope), my order taken, courses graciously served one at a time, dessert order taken and served, and when I am ready to leave the table, I am wished a pleasant evening by one or both of my Stewards.

Maybe this explanation will help you to understand why the MDR experience is important to some of us cruisers?

I'm in charge of our dinners at  home so I can understand why you enjoy the MDR.  We might enjoy too if the tables were further apart where we didn't feel like we were a part of the adjacent tables conversations.  We don't hear as well as we used to either.  It would help immensely if the noise level were reduced.  In the Lido, we can have our own conversations and we don't have to speak so loudly.  In fact, sometimes we simply get our dinner plate and take it too our balcony.  Or, we order room service.

18 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I'm in charge of our dinners at  home so I can understand why you enjoy the MDR.  We might enjoy too if the tables were further apart where we didn't feel like we were a part of the adjacent tables conversations.  We don't hear as well as we used to either.  It would help immensely if the noise level were reduced.  In the Lido, we can have our own conversations and we don't have to speak so loudly.  In fact, sometimes we simply get our dinner plate and take it too our balcony.  Or, we order room service.

I certainly agree with that. You don't want to be part of the nearby table's discussion, but can't help but overhear---sort of like going to a decent restaurant but one where they got a huge jumbo TV blaring the daily obnoxious news happenings down on you, all very unappetizing, might as well eat the plate sometimes.

On our most recent cruises table separation has been pretty good. Three months on three cruises on the Pacific Princess and one month on Regent's Seven Seas Voyager. On some cruises we simply had to go to the specialties due to the MDR atmosphere or the wait staff and kitchen staff being overworked and short-handed. Wife goes along with the buffet for breakfast and lunch but if we have to start using those instead of the MDR then we probably bag the cruise habit.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

We might enjoy too if the tables were further apart where we didn't feel like we were a part of the adjacent tables conversations.  We don't hear as well as we used to either.  It would help immensely if the noise level were reduced.

Noise in any dining venue at sea or on land is irritating.  "We don't hear as well as we used to either."  May I join your Club?  There are several local dining establishments that I no longer patronize because of the unpleasant noise level because of that reason.  It becomes tiresome in asking a dining companion to repeat he/she has just said because I could not clearly hear it due to the background noise.

Thankfully, at least in my experience, HAL's specialty restaurants do not suffer from noise pollution.  

I appreciate your response.  Happy Sailing!

7 hours ago, avian777 said:

Assuming you are correct in your assessment of HAL's motivation for charging for extra MDR entrees, I can only add, Thank you, HAL, and keep up the good work.  We CCL shareholders appreciate your efforts to protect and enhance our investment in CCL!

I am a CCL stock holder as well. I think this sets a very bad statement if they want to cut in places where there is maybe a savings of 1 or 2 percent what will be next 1 dollar roll of toilet paper. Profits are up CCL has more lines coming on line with better rates and extra bang for the buck if CCL does not take care of there customers someone else will and our stock will be worth a Hot Dog 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, kennicott said:

I certainly agree with that. You don't want to be part of the nearby table's discussion, but can't help but overhear---sort of like going to a decent restaurant but one where they got a huge jumbo TV blaring the daily obnoxious news happenings down on you, all very unappetizing, might as well eat the plate sometimes.

On our most recent cruises table separation has been pretty good. Three months on three cruises on the Pacific Princess and one month on Regent's Seven Seas Voyager. On some cruises we simply had to go to the specialties due to the MDR atmosphere or the wait staff and kitchen staff being overworked and short-handed. Wife goes along with the buffet for breakfast and lunch but if we have to start using those instead of the MDR then we probably bag the cruise habit.

If I can touch your table, we're too close.

Funny thing, my wife prefers the Lido.

• Like 1

Charging for a second MDR entree comes across as tacky and unfair to certain passengers.  Over nine cruises, I've never seen wasted MDR entrees, but have noticed many passengers with traditional Italian tastes ordering a pasta entree before their principal dish and health conscious diners ask for the main salad as their appetizer before their main entree and fruit plate.

We're looking forward to Alaska on the Volendam and hope on principle this fee doesn't apply.

23 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

f I can touch your table, we're too close.

I agree.  One major exception was on a Carnival Freedom cruise when a table of 4 Ball State College Seniors were celebrating their impending commencement during a Spring Break cruise was next to mine at an empty table for 4 except for me.  The young women had an empty seat because of one of their group did not attend.  They invited me to join them (there had been friendly greetings prior to this evening among us).  It was a most pleasant dinner and obviously a favorite cruise memory for me.