Picture-A-Week 2019 - Week 09

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, February 25 and Sunday, March 3.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

Opening day for baseball! Team parade and opening ceremonies on Saturday at 9:00 rain or shine! Wake the visiting granddaughters at sunrise so we can drive through the steady rain that had been falling since midnight to our new favorite pre-sport Saturday café for a delicious breakfast. Order an assortment of eclectic Hawaiian-influenced dishes and sit down to some good ol’ family get-togetherness. Phone rings. The opening day? Never mind. Apparently “rain or shine” was an overly optimistic promise that was overridden by several inches of California liquid sunshine which has a detrimental effect on traditional red clay infields. 

Rain Delay

1514613009_2019-09RainDelay.thumb.jpg.cbb3f2600d9dd8661bffbd3cc04867cd.jpg

Dave

12 hours ago, pierces said:

Opening day for baseball! Team parade and opening ceremonies on Saturday at 9:00 rain or shine! Wake the visiting granddaughters at sunrise so we can drive through the steady rain that had been falling since midnight to our new favorite pre-sport Saturday café for a delicious breakfast. Order an assortment of eclectic Hawaiian-influenced dishes and sit down to some good ol’ family get-togetherness. Phone rings. The opening day? Never mind. Apparently “rain or shine” was an overly optimistic promise that was overridden by several inches of California liquid sunshine which has a detrimental effect on traditional red clay infields. 

Rain Delay

1514613009_2019-09RainDelay.thumb.jpg.cbb3f2600d9dd8661bffbd3cc04867cd.jpg

Dave

What a disappointing sight- might be good for a mud-fight ...

And reading your lead-in, I was looking forward to some shots of yummy café b'fast food :classic_wink:

8 hours ago, boeckli said:

What a disappointing sight- might be good for a mud-fight ...

And reading your lead-in, I was looking forward to some shots of yummy café b'fast food :classic_wink:

Ask and ye shall receive...

Spicy chicken, bacon and cheese waffle.

IMG_20190302_072148.thumb.jpg.65b13fecf16d97fafd8d2521aefce898.jpg

Chocolate Chip Hawaiian Pancakes

IMG_20190302_072136b.thumb.jpg.57a418193cf0d816242052fc8a37fdbf.jpg

Very tasty, needless to say.

Dave

That wind farm cloud shot is surreal - very cool - wish you got some more of it too.

And since the others all want the Hawaiian pancakes and are rejecting the chicken cheese waffle, I'll take that one off your hands.

As usual for the weekend, I hit the wetlands on Saturday - weather was lovely sunny and warm, and the birds were out in force;

I discovered where a pair of red-shouldered hawks had built their nest in a palm tree - they're hard to track down when nesting here...apparently the male hawk sitting on the nest was less than pleased that I had found him and was giving me the evil eyes for taking his photo:

original.jpg

Also hiding out in the palm trees - though MUCH better hidden - was the eastern screech owl.  To photograph him, I had to thread the focus through 8 feet of palm fronds, just barely getting a glimpse of him through all the branches:

original.jpg

This lovely gal is a yellow-bellied sapsucker - a type of woodpecker that likes to drill holes in the tree to make it 'bleed' then drink the sap.  Those who follow the weekly threads will know I posted a shot of the male last week:

original.jpg

A very noisy flock of black-hooded 'Nanday' parakeets buzzed over me:

original.jpg

The lovely mating colors of the cattle egret:

original.jpg

Anhingas, aka 'snake birds' because you often only see a skinny neck and head out of the water, often grab fish much larger than their heads with those dagger-like bills.  Then they have to swim over to a nearby shore to eat their catch since it requires some work to get them off the bill:

original.jpg

A great egret, showing off his long mating feathers on his back and his green lore around the eyes, as he banks around in perfect light:

original.jpg

• Like 1

Seriously, Justin. You should be thankful I don't do birding. I would hate to shame you with spectacular shots of our tiny dirty brown sparrows and occasional crow.

*sigh*

Dave

• Like 1

Actually if you drove a little bit, you could make me jealous as one bird I used to see all the time when I lived in California but wasn't into bird photography (those were still film days, so I shot much less frequently anyway) is the roadrunner.  I'd love to have some shots of those!

Plus, we don't have dirty brown sparrows here - so I'd probably snap a few shots of them too!  😉

37 minutes ago, zackiedawg said:

Actually if you drove a little bit, you could make me jealous as one bird I used to see all the time when I lived in California but wasn't into bird photography (those were still film days, so I shot much less frequently anyway) is the roadrunner.  I'd love to have some shots of those!

Plus, we don't have dirty brown sparrows here - so I'd probably snap a few shots of them too!  😉

I really do envy your proximity to the abundance of species and skill at capturing their activity. I will settle for cruising and the occasional wildflower tour when the weather is generous. Finishing the home improvement projects would free up some time too. 

*sigh*,  again.

Dave