Cruise Critic Community
horatio123

On Equinox now and motion sick..what to do

So sorry you are having this issue, the first cruise I was on, I was fine.  The second cruise I was sick the minute we left port.  Since that time I take the Transderm Scop patch and next week am going the Equinox and it will be my 12th cruise and never have had an issue at all.  Simple to use, just put the patch on behind your ear a couple of hours before you get on the ship and they last for three days.  I highly recommend it.  Get well soon!

This may be too late,  but what I did when first cruising was to take a Original Dramamine or Benadryl the night before the cruise.  It knocks me out and I would sleep well.   I would also take one the morning of the cruise and by the second day my inner ear was calmed down that I didn't need anymore for the remainder of the cruise.

Different medications will affect each of us different.   I tried the Scopolamine patches once and they didn't agree with me, causing  dehydration and really bad dry mouth.   I ended up pulling it off after about 12 hours.   

Sit facing the direction the ship is moving (dining room, etc.).  If you must get on tenders, be the last person on before it leaves - just tell the person loading the tender, and stand aside until it is ready to go.  Feel better soon. 

Thanks all.  In the library here trying to get over it.  Am taking their meds,green apples, bread as per the chef,  ginger ale, etc.  Seas around Cancun are a bit rough for me tonight and even chair in lIbrary moves.  Had to leave show, btw, it is worse on the lower floors. We are midship deck 10.

I seem fine, or better during the day...supper hour on is not good.

Think this is not for me....so sad as I have a viking cruise in Italy next year....

I am one that doesnt like to fly at all. I am clasutrophobic, hate heights also. I can do 3 steps on a ladder which is my max height.

So when I took my first cruise 10 years ago I wasnt aure what to expect. I took it all (meds) with me just in case - wrist bands, behind the ear patches, bonine, dramaine. I tryed them all of course not at the same time to see what would work best.

i settled on the round small patches behind my ear that must be prescibed by a doctor.as cruises came and went I am now to a point I dont even use them.

TIP: if you want the behind the ear patches stay on wipe off area with rubbing alcohol and put on ptach then cut a small piece of surgical tape and put it over the top of patch.

Works great then they wont be stuck to your pillow or find them in ahower drain.

i too am very suseptable to motion but if there a real issue during the night i go uptop by pool and get fresh air and watch the crew clean the deck. Watching the horizon during the day helps too. Also if I get bothered by it I have a couple drinks but if you have a suseptable stomach stick with ginger ale.

See if the store onboard has any "Motioneaze" for purchase. It's an all natural herbal liquid and you just put a drop behind each ear and it should work within 5 minutes. It's used on charter fishing boats down here to keep their customers happy (and catching fish, not "feeding" them over the side LOL):

https://motioneaze.com/stop-seasickness-with-motioneaze/

I make sure I take one tablet of non drowsy Dramamine starting the day of my flight.  Since you are already queasy ,  I would max dose with  original Dramamine, then once I felt fine, switch to non drowsy as a preventive.

I have heard that if you float in the pool, it may stop the motion sickness. I never tried that.

Edited by 2+2

Zofran. It’s prescription only so you’d have to talk to the ship’s doctor about it. I took it when I had severe nausea and vomiting that caused weight loss during my second pregnancy. It was a miracle drug for me. Obviously, your situation is a bit different than mine, but the doctor might be willing to prescribe it for night time use for the remainder of your cruise.

10 hours ago, horatio123 said:

Thanks all.  In the library here trying to get over it.  Am taking their meds,green apples, bread as per the chef,  ginger ale, etc.  Seas around Cancun are a bit rough for me tonight and even chair in lIbrary moves.  Had to leave show, btw, it is worse on the lower floors. We are midship deck 10.

Think this is not for me....so sad as I have a viking cruise in Italy next year....

Hope you begin to feel better..keep eating very lite..broth, bread, crackers..

Hopefully seas will calm down.!

2 hours ago, GAcruiser2 said:

Zofran. It’s prescription only so you’d have to talk to the ship’s doctor about it. I took it when I had severe nausea and vomiting that caused weight loss during my second pregnancy. It was a miracle drug for me. Obviously, your situation is a bit different than mine, but the doctor might be willing to prescribe it for night time use for the remainder of your cruise.

Zofran works great. We got our doctor to prescribe a few pills for us before our first cruise and I think we only had to take it once.

To anyone wearing the patch, just be careful not to touch the patch and then touch your eyes.  I didn't realize I did that....but I guess in the shower I touched it to make sure it was still on and then must have touched my eyes....one of my eyes got dilated!  I didn't realize it at first....just wondered why on earth I was suddenly unable to read!  My husband helpfully said "Well,  you did just turn 40."  OK, thanks.  I didn't think my eyesight was going to go bad overnight!  Finally read the small print with the patch and was relieved to understand what was doing on.

OP, don't decide for certain cruising isn't for you.  As others have posted, with the correct meds you can acclimate yourself to the motion.  And if you do give it another try, the most important thing is to start taking the medication BEFORE you set foot on the ship.  Just like pain, it is so much easier to stop it than to try to get on top of it once it has started.

14 hours ago, horatio123 said:

Dining rooms tend to be in the back of the ship, which to me is the worst place.  I always feel the motion there more.  Maybe you could eat in one of the specialty restaurants, if they are closer to midship?

I tend to get seasick on small boats but I've only been seasick on a cruise once and that was when we were leaving Cozumel.  There must be something about the seas in that area.  I always bring Bonine with me and take it preventatively if I can feel much ship motion.

I hope things get better for you soon!  I know it's miserable to feel queasy.

I’m sorry you aren’t feeling good. You have an unusual cruise critic name, are you the person that was ill with sickness pre cruise? It may be a recurrence of your illness 

Great point helen haywood I didnt realize that. If you use a small piece of surgical tape that may help protect your fingers from coming in direct contact with the patch.. and yes put the patch on prior to getting on ship..

Excellent info!

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 8:17 AM, CruisinCrow said:

I prefer Bonine to non-drowsy Dramamine.  It lasts all day and doesn't make me sleepy.  Just be sure to stay on top of it.  Once you get sea sick, it takes longer to get it under control but it will kick in eventually.  And don't let your stomach get empty.  Tea and crackers help.  I've heard ginger but never tried it.  I hope you feel better soon!

You do realize Bonine and non-drowsy Dramamine are exactly the same medication in exactly the same dose?  I am not trying to be snarky here - but check the labels and you will see.  Your other tips are helpful.  

8 hours ago, emmas gran said:

I’m sorry you aren’t feeling good. You have an unusual cruise critic name, are you the person that was ill with sickness pre cruise? It may be a recurrence of your illness 

Looks like same poster--started out sick before sailing

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

You do realize Bonine and non-drowsy Dramamine are exactly the same medication in exactly the same dose?  I am not trying to be snarky here - but check the labels and you will see.  Your other tips are helpful.  

All I know is that the couple of times I've used Dramamine, it has knocked me out for hours so I won't take it again unless I'm desperate.  Maybe it wasn't the non-drowsy kind though.  Sounds like the OP is having more problems at night, so maybe getting knocked out isn't a bad thing.

Edited by CruisinCrow

1 hour ago, CruisinCrow said:

All I know is that the couple of times I've used Dramamine, it has knocked me out for hours so I won't take it again unless I'm desperate.  Maybe it wasn't the non-drowsy kind though.  Sounds like the OP is having more problems at night, so maybe getting knocked out isn't a bad thing.

That's why regular Dramamine or Benadryl is great for night time. Being knocked out is preferable to laying in bed, awake, with your stomach churning. 

Horatio mentioned that she had to leave the theater. I had that experience on my first cruise. The seas were a little rough and the ship was rocking. The theater is at the front of the ship, plus there are no windows to help your eyes and brain make sense of the motion. It's best to sit out on deck and watch the horizon, rather than an inside area of the ship.

Edited by Marelaine

Why don’t you do a nice live review for us, that may take your mind off all the uneasy-ness.

feel better!

I agree with all the sea sick remedies that have been recommended.  One time while cruising I was feeling sea sick and couldn't eat dinner.  The waiter brought me Bonine (or whatever they have on the ship) and CLASSIC coca cola.  Not diet cola.  I was feeling better by dessert time.  I was amazed it worked so quickly.  

For the record I am here and still alive.  Appreciate all your responses.  For the record, my flu before this trip had nothing to do with my motion sickness.  Flus dont differentiate between morning and night, location and sea conditions,

Looking forward to being home.

9 hours ago, horatio123 said:

For the record I am here and still alive.  Appreciate all your responses.  For the record, my flu before this trip had nothing to do with my motion sickness.  Flus dont differentiate between morning and night, location and sea conditions,

Looking forward to being home.

I'm so sorry you're not enjoying your cruise. :classic_sad:  Your flu could actually have made the seasickness worse.  One of the times I felt most queasy on a cruise was when I was recovering from a cold.  If our inner ears get clogged up at all, it makes it much harder to adjust to the sea motion.  The flu is miserable.  I had it a few years ago and it took a good month to be totally well.  Hoping the rest of your trip goes better.