Sugar Shacks in Montreal or Quebec City

Sunny AZ Girl

Just to clarify - no Sugar Shack will be actually doing the thing they are named for in October as sugar season starts in Feb-March and runs into May at most. There are temporary urban spots that offer some kind of a 'Sugar Shack-like experience' within that timeframe, e.g. in a couple of the big parks around Montreal, but even the really good places (like Martin Picard's cabane à sucre) which are open in October are not sugaring, they're doing a seasonal harvest menu with lots of local veggies.

If you're good with a not-actually-anything-to-do-with-maple-syrup-production visit, I'm sure there are offerings of supposedly-traditional Quebecois 'cultural experiences' with music & dance and food (like a permanent tourist's Kitchen party/Farm Show/Ceilidh sort of affair) - but I can't offer reviews of them as that is so not my kind of thing! Some of these may be co-located at a sugaring site so you could see the equipment and maybe get some info on the process - hopefully someone who has attended such a thing will come on the answer you, but it's a rare sort of query here so Googling/contacting tourist info might be your best bet...

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

We are thinking of booking the RCI Sugar Shack experience through the ship on our first night on the ship (the cruise starts with an overnight in QC).  I know it won't be the full experience as we are not there in sugar season, but it may give us an idea of what goes on.  That way we don't have to worry about transportation since we won't have a car while we are in Montreal or QC.  The tour includes a tour of a Sugar Shack museum. folklore, music, and a Sugar Shack family style dinner.  

Hi, we are also on the same cruise as yourselves in October , we did the sugar shack tour through Celebrity when we overnighted  in Quebec 2 years ago. It was good fun , food was good with plenty of maple syrup then we went over to the museum and explained the process of maple syrup production. Made a maple taffy and of course could buy maple syrup

• Like 1