NJ Couple Forced Off Allure of Seas ... medical

Marbel69

Yeah, I have some trouble believing that the staff just dumped 'em at the pier and ran away. I'm guessing it went more like "We need to get you to a hospital right now." "No."  "But your life might be in danger. We'll off-load you here and call you an ambulance."  "No."

And after enough no's, for liability purposes they had to tell them they'd just have to leave and take responsibility for themselves because if the woman was about to die, and they let her stay on-board under their doctor's care, and then she died, they'd probably get sued for exercising bad judgment. 

And the reason I suspect that is that they've just been "tossed off the ship" for internal bleeding, and instead of going to a doctor to get checked out, they decide to take a long cab ride, then a long plane ride, then another long plane ride before going to the doctor. That seems fishy to me. No matter how angry I am at a vacation getting short, if I'm bleeding internally and a doctor tells me I need a hospital, I'm going to the hospital immediately.

The end of the article also made me roll my eyes -- the "what would people who can't afford to drop 3 grand on plane tickets do?" bit.   They'd have travel insurance like every other responsible adult who goes on vacation, and insurance would cover it.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Taken off the ship and royal wanted them to go to the local hospital which they chose not to do.

royal aranged transport back to Miami. 

Bad situation and the word kicked off the ship seems strange.  It was a medical concern that could not be handled by the medical staff on the ship.

• Like 2

Well said!  We definitely would have gone to the nearest hospital.  Sounds like someone mentioned compensation to them and they ran with it.  We had a friend get hurt on the Anthem bumper cars and medical bent over backwards for her.  No charge and they gave her a disc of the knee X-ray to take to her Doctor.

I can see if the doctor was trying to be lighthearted when talking with the patient that he might say if xyz doesn't happen, I'm going to have to kick you off the ship because she said she wouldn't leave.  I don't believe that IF he did say that, he was just going to kick them off alone etc.

I feel the couple jeopardized the health of the wife by not having her get the medical treatment she needed.  To me, it seems they were both more concerned about spending the money for medical care so they chose to go home.  I know that a bleeding ulcer can result in death as that is what happened to my husband.  He developed a bleeding ulcer and four days later he was dead.

The reason I feel they didn't want to spend money is that they didn't purchase medical insurance that covers medical evacuation etc. At their ages, it is almost suicidal.  I would never cruise without insurance and I know many do and have been lucky, but that one time when it's needed and not purchased can prove to be a disaster.

It appears to me that everything the doctor and Royal Caribbean wanted to do to help them was refused and they decided to do what they wanted.  Fortunately, she didn't pass, but I think this was because someone was looking out for them.  JMO.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The article also appeared on front page of my local NJ newspaper today.  The online version has a video interview with the couple.  In it wife admits both she and husband had serious health issues before the cruise (yet no insurance?).  Said medical staff had her disembark because Allure would be at sea next two days and if her condition deteriorated further she would need blood transfusion which ship was incapable of administering.  Don't know what else she expected Royal to do.  Only legitimate point I saw is med staff appears to have waited until close to sailaway from Costa Maya before deciding to put them ashore, leaving little time to pack and plan trip home.      

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/morris/2019/02/25/nj-couple-pays-thousands-get-home-after-being-forced-off-royal-caribbean-cruise/2669094002/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eslader said:

Yeah, I have some trouble believing that the staff just dumped 'em at the pier and ran away. I'm guessing it went more like "We need to get you to a hospital right now." "No."  "But your life might be in danger. We'll off-load you here and call you an ambulance."  "No."

And after enough no's, for liability purposes they had to tell them they'd just have to leave and take responsibility for themselves because if the woman was about to die, and they let her stay on-board under their doctor's care, and then she died, they'd probably get sued for exercising bad judgment. 

And the reason I suspect that is that they've just been "tossed off the ship" for internal bleeding, and instead of going to a doctor to get checked out, they decide to take a long cab ride, then a long plane ride, then another long plane ride before going to the doctor. That seems fishy to me. No matter how angry I am at a vacation getting short, if I'm bleeding internally and a doctor tells me I need a hospital, I'm going to the hospital immediately.

The end of the article also made me roll my eyes -- the "what would people who can't afford to drop 3 grand on plane tickets do?" bit.   They'd have travel insurance like every other responsible adult who goes on vacation, and insurance would cover it.

I agree with this, unfortunately it seems like there are not many responsible adults any more.

• Like 4

I agree that especially at their age some type of trip insurance is a priority, BUT the fact is that you must have enough cash or a high enough limit on the credit card(s) you travel with to cover an emergency evacuation. Trip insurance doesn't pay until after the fact and an airline won't fly you without payment for the tickets in advance. Most foreign hospitals also want immediate payment for services. So even if you have insurance it is wise to be prepared to have funds available to pay for medical services when rendered and then wait for reimbursement from the insurance, sometimes at a much later date. I sympathize with their situation and understand that it was a very frightening time for them and they may have misstated just what the ship doctor said. I can't believe that the staff of RCI didn't offer to arrange transportation for her to the nearest hospital. Often I have seen an ambulance waiting on the dock when the ship arrives in port to take off an ill passenger. The best news is that she recovered.

• Like 3

Unfortunately for them, Costa Maya is probably one of the worst places to have to get off the ship in regards to proximity to an international airport. May have been better off being more proactive and letting them off in Cozumel...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slighty confused here. Why would they go through Mexico City? There are several nonstop flights daily that go to the New York area from Cancun.

Also, not to discredit their story, but from a quick search online, the drive from Costa Maya to Cancun doesn't exactly seem like a super horrible area.

• Like 1

I have no idea what happened here but I can tell you it can be difficult to get insurance companies to honor the medical evacuation part. You can be deemed not stable enough for air transport, followed by too stable to require air evacuation.  They would much rather send you back coach than on an air ambulance. Research your insurance company and policy well. Google complaints against them. Yes, everyone should be covered but it's not a magic button that whisks you safely back home. Have a credit card with room and get yourself out if you are not able to access adequate care where you are stranded.  

So much about this doesn't make sense ---   

Not everyone buys travel insurance --- many repeat cruisers --- and yes not everyone could afford travel on their own

I can also sympathize with the whole get home to get help thing.  I admit, I did this after a fall in Mexico.

I wasn't about to fight doctors and insurance and different medical standards.   I immediately called the airline, booked the next flight nonstop to the US.  took pain meds and after touchdown went straight to the doc.

A buddy of mine got hurt in MX and did the exact same thing.

So yes, I get not wanting to go to the hospital there. 

BUT....

Why the heck would they fly from Cancun to Mexico City to Miami??  There's a ton of nonstop flights from Cancun to Newark, not to mention a million other US cities.   Fly me to the US and get me help, I get that....

But the rest of it is very weird, lots of unanswered questions, and I would expect the RCI I know to be very helpful. 

Sounds like RCI helped (arranging flights) a simple conversation about expectations should have solved all this.   Sigh.

1 hour ago, mattb31 said:

Slighty confused here. Why would they go through Mexico City? There are several nonstop flights daily that go to the New York area from Cancun.

Also, not to discredit their story, but from a quick search online, the drive from Costa Maya to Cancun doesn't exactly seem like a super horrible area.

No Passport?   "The United States has an embassy in Mexico City and nine consulates general and nine consular agencies that act as extensions of the consulates general. There is a consular agency about 9 miles from Mexico City International Airport and a consular agency in Cancún, but the couple did not think to call them"

5 hours ago, badflyer13 said:

I have heard they have the cruise insurance but have not made a claim yet. I wonder what they are waiting for.

If they did actually have travel insurance, I wonder if it will cover them given that they did not follow the medical advice of the ship's medical staff---did refusing to go to a local hospital for help, when they were removed from theship for medical reasons, void any insurance coverage?

In any event, I agree with everyone here that it sounds like the medical team on the ship did nothing wrong (and, while it might have been better to have them disembark in Cozumel to be nearer and airport, it sounds to me like staff probably gave them that option at the time, or a "wait and see until Costa Maya" and then if things get worsre you'll have to get off there---the couple took their chances, and then had to get off).  

13 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

The article also appeared on front page of my local NJ newspaper today.  The online version has a video interview with the couple.  In it wife admits both she and husband had serious health issues before the cruise (yet no insurance?).  Said medical staff had her disembark because Allure would be at sea next two days and if her condition deteriorated further she would need blood transfusion which ship was incapable of administering.  Don't know what else she expected Royal to do.  Only legitimate point I saw is med staff appears to have waited until close to sailaway from Costa Maya before deciding to put them ashore, leaving little time to pack and plan trip home.      

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/morris/2019/02/25/nj-couple-pays-thousands-get-home-after-being-forced-off-royal-caribbean-cruise/2669094002/

So... Knowing they had pre-existing medical conditions, I suggest the cost of travel insurance would be huge.... possibly more than the cost of the cruise. The couple in question therefore decided not to take insurance and just risk it. Bad choice.

Just a theory...

• Like 1