NJ Couple Forced Off Allure of Seas ... medical

Marbel69

I just did a "dummy"  insurance buy on one of the poplular websites that give quotes from various insurance companies.

For a party of 2 with the age of 80, you can buy insurance for a total of $556 for a trip that $5000 total with waivers for the 60 day look back period that would normally apply to that policy.  You have to purchase the policy within 21 days of the initial booking.

Let me clarify that this was price for "comprehensive" insurance but not including cancel for any reason.  As that was what I could initially find in regards to policy that included the waiver for look back for pre existing conditions

Edited by gatour

4 hours ago, cajinyank said:

just medical ins is not that expensive. If you just get the medical coverage  not covering the trip itself for someone their age it would around 300 -400 dollars. that's 500000 evac and 500000 medical.

Actually, if you don't insure the cost of the cruise fare, it can be VERY cheap.  I pay $32 per trip (so far covering up to a 3 week period for that price).    It covers medical and med evac, non-medical evac, lost luggage, delays, etc.  Just not missing the cruise.

3 hours ago, ShillyShally said:

This is really good to know, and I'm sure it's true in many places. 

There are good private hospitals in many port areas.  More so if the area is heavy on American or European expats.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

That's not our experience.  US third party travel insurance pricing is solely a function of age and cost of trip.  Pre-existing conditions don't factor into price and are covered in full so long as policy is purchased shortly after initial deposit.  There has been no look-back on the policies we've purchased.  Lots of good choices available at Insuremytrip.com and tripinsurancestore.com.  Also check out cc's travel insurance forum.

I typically purchase via Insuremytrip.com  

Theres always a lookback clause from my experiance. 

Going to run a quote for my forthcoming trip to Alaska and see what pops up.

Definitly a lookback period on all quotes offered.

$508 for a 60 day lookback

$380 for a 180 day lookback 

PRE-EXISTING CONDITION means a Sickness or Injury during the 180-day period immediately prior to your effective date for which you or your Traveling Companion: (1) received, or received a recommendation for, a diagnostic test, examination, or medical treatment; or (2) took or received a prescription for drugs or medicine. Item 2 of this definition does not apply to a condition which is treated or controlled solely through the taking of prescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or change in the required prescription throughout the 180-day period before coverage is effective under this Policy.

Almost cheaper to get an annual plan

Edited by Magnetchief

9 minutes ago, Btank said:

Yeah, it can be worse.  Returning to port on our second cruise, the ship was met by four ambulances... and one unmarked van.  Full disclosure: we cruised through what was left of Hurricane Jose - a little stressful, and not very safe to move around in.  The captain actually made an announcement encouraging everyone to "enjoy the comfort of your cabin"... then turned on the emergency lighting in the hallways.

--bruce T.

When my mother was removed, my dad went in the ambulance, and I packed a couple of small bags for us, then went to the dock.   The port agent called a cab for me, and while we were waiting, I got to talking to him.  This was Halifax, NS, Canada.

There was another person also headed to the hospital, his wife had fallen and broken her collar bone. He had a HUGE stack of luggage (8 night cruise) and spent the whole time complaining about various things.

After he left, I asked the port agent about the most people coming off for medical.    He said he was port agent for more than one line.  And one time, he had an NCL ship, that pulled and replaced the gangway SIX times for medical evacs off the ship.  One would get off, they would wait a bit, pull the gangway, get notified of another one, replace the gangway, let those off, then removed it, and ......

The port agent was FABULOUS.  After waiting for a while, HE drive me to the hospital.  And actually took my inside and stayed with me until I hooked up with my Dad.  And then gave me his cell number in case I needed any more assistance.

16 hours ago, mattb31 said:

Also, not to discredit their story, but from a quick search online, the drive from Costa Maya to Cancun doesn't exactly seem like a super horrible area.

Nope.  We go to Cancun every year... our next trip is next week.  As part of our trip, we take ADO - Mexico's equivalent of Greyhound :classic_biggrin: - down to Playa del Carmen for lunch (family tradition).  We never feel like we're taking our lives in our hands.

The article's reference to Quintana Roo being under a Level 2 travel warning is also somewhat sensational.  Level 2 just means "exercise increased caution".  For comparison: the U.K. is also currently under Level 2 (United Kingdom Travel Advisory).

--bruce T.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, SRF said:

No, she passed 5 days later.  Actually, SHE was gone the instant it happened.  The body lived on for a few days.

But, she was 87, had a full life, and was doing what she enjoying, traveling, drinking some wine, and making trouble. 😄

I am so very sorry!  What a wonderful way to go though, truly, may we all be in the midst of living life to its fullest!  My mother passed quickly but refused help or visitors except for me, it was what she wanted but heartbreaking to those who wanted to further support her!

10 minutes ago, Magnetchief said:

PRE-EXISTING CONDITION means a Sickness or Injury during the 180-day period immediately prior to your effective date for which you or your Traveling Companion: (1) received, or received a recommendation for, a diagnostic test, examination, or medical treatment; or (2) took or received a prescription for drugs or medicine. Item 2 of this definition does not apply to a condition which is treated or controlled solely through the taking of prescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or change in the required prescription throughout the 180-day period before coverage is effective under this Policy.

Interesting, good information as most don't read the fine print and that's what insurers are hoping.  While insurance is protection, insurers don't stay in business by having to pay, they're banking on more buying protection than needing it!

Just from the discussion here it is obvious that there are a number of different insurance options available. Some time ago we purchased a policy for medical evacuation that covers us anywhere in the world (even for ambulance cost at home) for the rest of our life. Fortunately we haven't had to use it yet. Since we travel frequently and sometimes for extended periods it seemed cheaper than buying for each trip. And if we ever have an emergency we just call the company and they will coordinate the needed care. Our regular medical insurance will also cover us worldwide, although we would have to pay upfront and then file a claim. Check with your company and see just where and what  it will cover. So, the only benefit we see of buying the ship or travel company insurance each time would be to recover the cost of the trip if we had to cancel. We figure we've saved enough over the years by not buying the travel insurance to cover the cancellation fees should we have to cancel a trip. Different solutions for each person's situation. The main thing is to just be sure you are prepared in case of an emergency. 

I was pleased to see the "mature" responses to the OP.  Most replies appear to be from experienced cruisers who understood the ships position to do the right thing.  And that was to do what was was best for the passenger.

I am sorry to see newspapers picked up the "thrown off" and ran with that rather than doing 5 minutes of research on how the medical staff on cruise ships handle such problems. What do "urgent care centers" do if they can not treat a case?  Throw the people out into the street? Or merely tell them they can not make them better and to go to a hospital.

Edited by peternina
fix typo
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Magnetchief said:

Almost cheaper to get an annual plan

Also from insuremytrip.com, - pre-existing condition waiver eliminates look-back period

https://www.insuremytrip.com/travel-insurance-plans-coverages/pre-existing-conditions/

Annual plan not a bad idea if you travel a lot.  In our 60's Geo Blue Trekker policy only cost around $300

3 hours ago, 40yearcruiser said:

Just from the discussion here it is obvious that there are a number of different insurance options available. Some time ago we purchased a policy for medical evacuation that covers us anywhere in the world (even for ambulance cost at home) for the rest of our life. Fortunately we haven't had to use it yet. 

Is your policy just for medivac?  Does it cover medical expenses?  Is it primary over your health insurance plan?

Where did you purchase your policy?

TIA

It was very interesting this morning. 

I was watching the CBS Morning News.  [Nora O'Donnell, Gayle King etc.] There was a video report on this story.  The interesting thing was after the story they each mentioned that they felt it was a sad situation but they did not see where the cruise ship did anything wrong. 

I was glad to see this.  What I usually see are stories that say someone "fell off" the cruise ship.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Sunset Glow said:

One other tidbit I got from the article....They are 79 and 82 years old with serious pre-existing medical conditions and wrote an impromptu will while on the flight home - so they had no will either. They seem like they are really ill prepared for travelling and should really stay close to home.

And if all went well and they had a great time, they would still be ill prepared, and we wouldn't know a thing about it.  Not everyone is perfectly prepared for trips !  I guarantee the majority of  your fellow passengers aren't well prepared either.  Can we give this couple a break ?  Hopefully their close call will help them (and others) better prepare  for their next trip together.   

Edited by Boatdrill

2 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

I was watching the CBS Morning News.  [Nora O'Donnell, Gayle King etc.] There was a video report on this story.  The interesting thing was after the story they each mentioned that they felt it was a sad situation but they did not see where the cruise ship did anything wrong. 

Gayle King just came home from a HAL cruise with Oprah and several hundred of their fans. She better support the cruise lines !  🙂 

On 2/25/2019 at 5:18 PM, DaniDanielle said:

I find it hard to believe that Medical threw them off the ship.  If they couldn’t help them leaving the ship sounds like the only option.

I witnessed a lady who fell at tulum and broke her hip. She refused treatment in Mexico, and the ships doctor deemed it too risky to allow her on board. She was forced to fly home to Philadelphia. 

On 2/25/2019 at 5:24 PM, Eslader said:

They'd have travel insurance like every other responsible adult who goes on vacation, and insurance would cover it.

On 2/25/2019 at 6:41 PM, AlanF65 said:

I agree with this, unfortunately it seems like there are not many responsible adults any more.

I'll just expand on this a bit. Not buying insurance doesn't make you irresponsible per se, but someone who doesn't get it and is a responsible person will accept the consequences and not blame someone else. I don't buy the insurance usually, but again, that's my risk if something happens, and you'll never hear me complain about it if it does. 😎

My first response to the actions and reactions of these two in the article contains a few words that are unprintable in polite company. :classic_happy:

• Like 2

15 hours ago, peternina said:

What do "urgent care centers" do if they can not treat a case?  Throw the people out into the street? Or merely tell them they can not make them better and to go to a hospital.

They call 911 and do what they can until you get transported to a hospital.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SRF said:

They call 911 and do what they can until you get transported to a hospital.

Only if coding or otherwise unable to travel - I have and have had family members told to head to an ER as the Urgent Care couldn't diagnosis or treat what was going on.  There are so many varying levels of urgent care centers too.

Interesting.

The one I go to says if they cannot handle it, they will call for an ambulance (may not actually call 911).

I guess they don't want the liability if you do not actually go to the hospital, like the original story.

Edited by SRF

17 minutes ago, SRF said:

Interesting.

The one I go to says if they cannot handle it, they will call for an ambulance (may not actually call 911).

I guess they don't want the liability if you do not actually go to the hospital, like the original story.

Hmmm, granted I haven't been to an urgent care in a few years so the ones near me may say that too.  I bet it is liability but given one could still leave AMA I don't know what would happen then.  But again signing AMA may nix any ability to later sue, or so you'd think...