Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Marbel69

NJ Couple Forced Off Allure of Seas ... medical

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Every travel policy I have ever purchased doesn’t even inquire about health history if the policy is purchased within 2 weeks of initial deposit being made on the cruise. 

Yes, that's typical for many US travel insurance policies.  The premium is the same, the pre-exisiting coverage is just a benefit of purchasing your policy early.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Balsam12 said:

 

Come on people.... use your brains. If insurance companies cover pre-existing conditions in travel insurance policies, people that know they need hospitalisation for a medical condition would just book a short cruise and take out a cheap travel insurance policy.

This makes zero sense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Balsam12 said:

Rubbish.

 

You're saying that if I take out travel insurance, tell the insurer I have a history of heart problems and have been taken to hospital by ambulance numerous times because of that condition, they will cover me for that with no increase in the premium?

 

What planet are you living on?

 

Until someone posts an example of a policy document to back up your claim,  it's a moot point.

Challenge Accepted!

https://www.travelguard.com/pre-existing-medical-waiver

 



If you're worried about traveling because you have a pre-existing medical condition, you should know that on many Travel Guard policies purchasing your travel insurance the same day you make your first trip deposit (or shortly after) may qualify you for the pre-existing medical condition exclusion waiver.

Pre-Ex Exclusion Waiver
The Company will waive the pre-existing medical condition exclusion if the following conditions are met:
  1. Purchasing the travel insurance with your first trip deposit, or shortly thereafter as explained in the policy;
  2. The amount of coverage purchased equals all prepaid, non-refundable trip payments or deposits, and the cost of any subsequent arrangements added to the same trip are insured by the date of payment or deposit for the additional arrangements;
  3. You are medically able to travel when your travel insurance policy is purchased.

 

This one had to be purchased within 15 days of initial trip payment.

Edited by S.A.M.J.R.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is not an insurance policy... it's advertising. 

 

Even there, note the use of the words "may qualify you".

 

Also note point 2... this is where they bump up the price.

 

Finally, point 3, which is the loophole where they say you were not medically fit to travel and deny your claim.

 

Next...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Balsam12 said:

That is not an insurance policy... it's advertising. 

 

Even there, note the use of the words "may qualify you".

 

Also note point 2... this is where they bump up the price.

 

Finally, point 3, which is the loophole where they say you were not medically fit to travel and deny your claim.

 

Next...

Where are you getting that from? As far as the waiver is concerned all the matters is when you purchase the policy. The policy costs the same whether you buy it the day after you  purchase the cruise or 6 months later

 

 

Do you have actual examples of people purchasing these policies and being denied claims?

Edited by dcgrumpy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Balsam12 said:

That is not an insurance policy... it's advertising. 

 

Even there, note the use of the words "may qualify you".

 

Also note point 2... this is where they bump up the price.

 

Finally, point 3, which is the loophole where they say you were not medically fit to travel and deny your claim.

 

Next...

Please climb down off your high horse, viist  a reputable online agency like insuremytrip.com and educate yourself.  You can view dozens of policies from many insurers.  Just about all provide pre-existing condition waiver if policy is purchased soon after booking cruise.  They make money because they are only insuring you for duration of sailing.  Most folks with significant health problems think twice about traveling overseas, even with insurance coverage.  Over 25 years of cruising I have purchased many policies and verified coverage with agents and insurers.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, after looking at one of the linked insurance sites above, the plot becomes clear.

 

These insurers may be providing cover to people with pre-existing conditions, but only for the cost of the trip and maybe getting you home.

 

They do not cover any medical expenses unless you pay extra. Not much use when you're in another country and need urgent medical care, which was the position the people were in on Allure.

 

As I have said all along, if insurance is cheap, there's a reason why.

Screenshot_20190305-084437_Chrome.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your statements are wrong.  Medical expenses are covered under these policies.  You’re listing medical expense upgrades.  I’m not wasting time arguing with you.  You have absolutely no experience with, or understanding of US policies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 6rugrats said:

Your statements are wrong.  Medical expenses are covered under these policies.  You’re listing medical expense upgrades.  I’m not wasting time arguing with you.  You have absolutely no experience with, or understanding of US policies.

 

Well said.  No use trying to argue with this poster.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Balsam12 said:

So, after looking at one of the linked insurance sites above, the plot becomes clear.

 

These insurers may be providing cover to people with pre-existing conditions, but only for the cost of the trip and maybe getting you home.

 

They do not cover any medical expenses unless you pay extra. Not much use when you're in another country and need urgent medical care, which was the position the people were in on Allure.

 

As I have said all along, if insurance is cheap, there's a reason why.

Screenshot_20190305-084437_Chrome.jpg

 

 

Wrong again.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mayleeman said:

"Don't confuse me with facts! My mind's made up!"

 

Who needs facts when you can just spout rubbish?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll also give up on this discussion as you are all just happy with your own beliefs.

 

I won't be taking out any insurance policies in the US, so it really makes no difference to me.

 

All I will say is that you need to read your policy VERY carefully as the insurance company will use the fine print to their advantage every time.

 

Peace out folks, enjoy your cruising, and hopefully none of us will ever need to put out insurance policies to the test.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was finally brave enough to get through this entire thread.

 

I do have some personal experience dealing with Travel Insurance. While on vacation at an all inclusive resort in the Dominican Republic 4 years ago, my mother suffered from a perforated ulcer, had emergency surgery, spent a week on life support in the ICU and then passed away. I can say that her travel insurance policy (a midrange plan with no upgrades purchased through a popular big box store) did, along with her health insurance that had some international coverage, did reimburse most of the expenses. Basically, we had to pay for some costs up front, medical insurance then covered what it covered and the travel insurance worked as a secondary policy. Some things were reimbursed or handled very quickly and easily, like getting my step dad's flights changed, etc.. And others were more difficult. Some things were just difficult because we had to wait on a death certificate or other paperwork needed from the government (both US and the DR).  I can say it was roughly 13k to transport her body from the DR to the west coast. I don't have and full idea on what the total medical bills were but I know they were well over a 100k. 

 

And in case you were wondering, she did have some pre existing medical stuff but nothing to indicate she was on death's door. She had seen her primary care doctor about a week before traveling. She was 56 when she died, so still quite young. You really just never know what life will bring you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, 6rugrats said:

No, many US travel insurance providers offer this coverage at no extra cost if you purchase your policy within a set number of days after your first trip deposit.  It’s usually 14-21 days.

Thank you all for the education on US travel insurance. :classic_smile:

 

If you book a cruise 15 months in advance (I'm assuming that you can not take out the policy until 12 months before you cruise.) do you have to pay extra for your pre-existing medical condition or just pay a higher premium

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bloodgem said:

Thank you all for the education on US travel insurance. :classic_smile:

 

If you book a cruise 15 months in advance (I'm assuming that you can not take out the policy until 12 months before you cruise.) do you have to pay extra for your pre-existing medical condition or just pay a higher premium

You can take out a policy right after you book, even if it’s 15 months in advance.  I did a look at a Nationwide cruise policy, and the premium price was the same, running the numbers for a cruise booked today leaving June 2019, and a cruise booked today, leaving June 2020.

And yes, this policy covers medical and has a pre-existing conditions waiver.

Edited by 6rugrats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 6rugrats said:

You can take out a policy right after you book, even if it’s 15 months in advance.  I did a look at a Nationwide cruise policy, and the premium price was the same, running the numbers for a cruise booked today leaving June 2019, and a cruise booked today, leaving June 2020.

And yes, this policy covers medical and has a pre-existing conditions waiver.

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2019 at 9:50 AM, Balsam12 said:

They may well cover them, but they will charge extra on the premium. 

 

An insurance company that knew about a condition such as the one described in this story would either not offer cover for that condition, or would increase the premium. This is the basic principle of insurance... the higher the risk, the higher the cost.

 

Why do you think insurance companies even ask about pre-existing medical conditions?

 

Again, my point is to make sure you read the policy carefully. Insurance companies are not there to help you, they are there to make money for shareholders. 

 

Have you ever purchased US travel insurance?

 

There are NO health questions.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Balsam12 said:

Rubbish.

 

You're saying that if I take out travel insurance, tell the insurer I have a history of heart problems and have been taken to hospital by ambulance numerous times because of that condition, they will cover me for that with no increase in the premium?

 

What planet are you living on?

 

Until someone posts an example of a policy document to back up your claim,  it's a moot point.

 

THEY DON'T ASK.

 

Not for travel insurance.  And even many life insurance policies are sold with NO HEALTH QUESTIONS OR EXAMINATION.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Balsam12 said:

Rubbish.

 

You're saying that if I take out travel insurance, tell the insurer I have a history of heart problems and have been taken to hospital by ambulance numerous times because of that condition, they will cover me for that with no increase in the premium?

 

What planet are you living on?

 

Until someone posts an example of a policy document to back up your claim,  it's a moot point.

 

THEY DON'T ASK.

 

Not for travel insurance.  And even many life insurance policies are sold with NO HEALTH QUESTIONS OR EXAMINATION.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Balsam12 said:

I'll also give up on this discussion as you are all just happy with your own beliefs.

 

I won't be taking out any insurance policies in the US, so it really makes no difference to me.

 

All I will say is that you need to read your policy VERY carefully as the insurance company will use the fine print to their advantage every time.

 

Peace out folks, enjoy your cruising, and hopefully none of us will ever need to put out insurance policies to the test.

 

Not only have I read the policies, my family has USED them.

 

And everything was covered.

 

You are flat out WRONG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 3monkeys4me said:

I was finally brave enough to get through this entire thread.

 

I do have some personal experience dealing with Travel Insurance. While on vacation at an all inclusive resort in the Dominican Republic 4 years ago, my mother suffered from a perforated ulcer, had emergency surgery, spent a week on life support in the ICU and then passed away. I can say that her travel insurance policy (a midrange plan with no upgrades purchased through a popular big box store) did, along with her health insurance that had some international coverage, did reimburse most of the expenses. Basically, we had to pay for some costs up front, medical insurance then covered what it covered and the travel insurance worked as a secondary policy. Some things were reimbursed or handled very quickly and easily, like getting my step dad's flights changed, etc.. And others were more difficult. Some things were just difficult because we had to wait on a death certificate or other paperwork needed from the government (both US and the DR).  I can say it was roughly 13k to transport her body from the DR to the west coast. I don't have and full idea on what the total medical bills were but I know they were well over a 100k. 

 

And in case you were wondering, she did have some pre existing medical stuff but nothing to indicate she was on death's door. She had seen her primary care doctor about a week before traveling. She was 56 when she died, so still quite young. You really just never know what life will bring you. 

Sorry for your loss. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i really can't understand why people find it hard to believe that insurance co won't cover a policy that only covers the people for the length of the cruise. It is unlikely that one will have to utilize this coverage and the insurance co comes out ahead in most cases. The odds are in their favor since coverage period in most cases is one week. i don't know what the insurance in other countries cover and policy may be a limited policy but it does cover most mishaps and is sold without questions about ones medical past. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, 3monkeys4me said:

I was finally brave enough to get through this entire thread.

 

I do have some personal experience dealing with Travel Insurance. While on vacation at an all inclusive resort in the Dominican Republic 4 years ago, my mother suffered from a perforated ulcer, had emergency surgery, spent a week on life support in the ICU and then passed away. I can say that her travel insurance policy (a midrange plan with no upgrades purchased through a popular big box store) did, along with her health insurance that had some international coverage, did reimburse most of the expenses. Basically, we had to pay for some costs up front, medical insurance then covered what it covered and the travel insurance worked as a secondary policy. Some things were reimbursed or handled very quickly and easily, like getting my step dad's flights changed, etc.. And others were more difficult. Some things were just difficult because we had to wait on a death certificate or other paperwork needed from the government (both US and the DR).  I can say it was roughly 13k to transport her body from the DR to the west coast. I don't have and full idea on what the total medical bills were but I know they were well over a 100k. 

 

And in case you were wondering, she did have some pre existing medical stuff but nothing to indicate she was on death's door. She had seen her primary care doctor about a week before traveling. She was 56 when she died, so still quite young. You really just never know what life will bring you. 

 

I'm sorry for your loss.  This would be devastating at home and a nightmare on vacation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, the mistral wind said:

i really can't understand why people find it hard to believe that insurance co won't cover a policy that only covers the people for the length of the cruise. It is unlikely that one will have to utilize this coverage and the insurance co comes out ahead in most cases. The odds are in their favor since coverage period in most cases is one week. i don't know what the insurance in other countries cover and policy may be a limited policy but it does cover most mishaps and is sold without questions about ones medical past. 

 

I wouldn't say that people find it hard to believe...just one person is finding it hard to believe.  I just went through my last policy in detail (Nationwide) and I am fully covered so long as I meet the pre-existing condition clause (see below). 

 

preexist.thumb.jpg.7c8636503df0d5948720c9c25c391042.jpg

 

Balsam12's logic is that people with pre-existing conditions are a greater risk of collecting against a policy and for an insurance company to make money (which is why they exist), they must charge more for people with pre-existing conditions.  Can't argue with that logic except to say that it is incomplete thinking.  As noted by above, the policy is typically for a very short time period so the odds of someone with a pre-existing condition having a higher payout than someone without pre-existing conditions is greatly minimized.  There's also competition between insurance companies that further compels them to make a travel policy easy and inexpensive.  In my case, Nationwide is protected with the 60 day look back period.  If my pre-existing condition was not "active" in the 60 days before my trip, the odds of it flaring up in the next few days are low enough to allow it in the policy.  And no...this was not an added cost policy.  It was $300 and covered 2 people for 20 days in Europe including a 7 day med cruise.  Included $150K in medical costs and $1M emergency med evac (plus a bunch of other stuff)

 

Not sure why I'm even bothering to say this since apparently no amount of real data will change Balsam12's mind.

 

Edited by bobmacliberty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...