Cruise Critic Community
Cruzmama

Post cruise - Basel or Lucerne

After our Rhine Getaway to Basel we are trying to decide whether to stay in Basel or Lucerne for a few days.  We definitely want to go to Lucerne for one of the days to do the mountain and lake tour.  Not sure yet if our flight leaves from Basel.  If we stay in Basel, we are looking at Hotel Steinenschurze.  Any thoughts about this hotel or any other in either place?

Is it too late to fly out of Zurich?  There are several trains a day from Lucerne to the airport (train station in basement of airport).  With Zurich also being a bigger airport than Basel, there is more choice in flights.

I would certainly prefer Lucerne to Basel. And I agree that flying out of Zurich if you can is a better choice than Basel.

Definitely stay in Lucerne. It is absolutely breathtaking! And I agree about flying out of Zurich. Are you booking your post cruise excursion through the cruise line? We booked out pre-cruise stay through Viking. We flew into Zurich and stayed in Lucerne. Viking arranged the flight and all  transportation from the airport and to the ship.

34 minutes ago, cruisergrandma said:

Definitely stay in Lucerne. It is absolutely breathtaking! And I agree about flying out of Zurich. Are you booking your post cruise excursion through the cruise line? We booked out pre-cruise stay through Viking. We flew into Zurich and stayed in Lucerne. Viking arranged the flight and all  transportation from the airport and to the ship.

Doing it yourself is also simple. There is a train directly from Lucerne to Zurich Airport.

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

Doing it yourself is also simple. There is a train directly from Lucerne to Zurich Airport.

And hourly trains from Basel SBB to Lucerne, whose station is right in the middle of town.

12 hours ago, gnome12 said:

How do you find the train schedule for Lucerne to Zurich airport? I want to make sure to go to the airport and not the non-airport location. Our flight is around noon.

website is sbb.ch, look for Luzern to Zurich Flughafn

But even if you mistakenly get off at Zurich Hauptbahnnhof (Hbf) there are a ton of trains from there to the airport. 

Edited by jpalbny

35 minutes ago, travelnut4 said:

How do you find the train schedule for Lucerne to Zurich airport? I want to make sure to go to the airport and not the non-airport location. Our flight is around noon.

Check out loco2.com. It's all in English. In destination put in Zurich airport.

You will be getting off at Zurich Flughafen which is the airport.

Thanks.  We have changed our flight to leave from Zurich and will be staying in Lucerne.  Looking for a reasonable, air conditioned hotel that's not too expensive.  Any thoughts??

Thanks so much for the links to the train schedules! It was very easy to see the train options to the airport with no changes on the loco2 website. My understanding is I don’t need to purchase the tickets until the morning of travel, correct? If I purchase them online in advance is it only good for the particular time I book or can it be any scheduled that day? 

It is Switzerland after all...so the definition of "reasonable" is perhaps at a different level than you'd expect. The prices can be a real eye-opener.

We stayed at the Renaissance Hotel once, which I am pretty sure had decent climate control. I don't remember them being too exorbitant but again, it is Switzerland. 

The hotel is opposite the old town and two blocks from the Bahnhof.

37 minutes ago, travelnut4 said:

Thanks so much for the links to the train schedules! It was very easy to see the train options to the airport with no changes on the loco2 website. My understanding is I don’t need to purchase the tickets until the morning of travel, correct? If I purchase them online in advance is it only good for the particular time I book or can it be any scheduled that day? 

If you click on the specific trip you will see the choices of fare type by clicking the pink arrow on the row with the price. Any restrictions will be shown there. In checking for April 10 I find fares are semi-flexible and allow travel on any conventional train. My quick search isn’t showing any highly discounted restricted tickets, but you are heading to the airport so you should know exactly when you want to get there, and I don’t see why you would change your time. 

1 hour ago, travelnut4 said:

My understanding is I don’t need to purchase the tickets until the morning of travel, correct? If I purchase them online in advance is it only good for the particular time I book or can it be any scheduled that day? 

That is correct. Swiss trains usually don't give you a discount for advance purchase. But...

When you buy a full-price ticket, you're NOT bound to any particular train. So show up whenever you want, on the day of  your ticket, and hop on any train going where you want to go. 

However, if you do find an advanced saver ticket, it WILL be only valid on a particular train. If you happen to find one on a train that works for you, grab it.

The man in seat 61 has a good explanation on his web page.

We have stayed in both and definitely Lucerne. Fabulous city.