LIVE review: Navigator of the Seas ABC Islands (1st-10th March)

EmilyJay

54 minutes ago, Cruising305 said:

Given the poolside location (where many cruise lines have free and easy grab and go food), a bit disappointed that a family of 4 is looking to spend probably close to $40 just for a simple order of a burger and fries. 

Funny math.  More like $32.  Simple burger = $5, Fries = $3.  

I think the issue is the Johnny Rockets brand.

If it were like Celebrity it would be an unbranded venue like the mast grill (I think that's what it was called).  There they are free... burgers, fries and dogs, etc...

Dan

3 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

If it were like Celebrity it would be an unbranded venue like the mast grill (I think that's what it was called).  There they are free... burgers, fries and dogs, etc...

Dan

The Celebrity ones are good as well! Best free burgers as sea go to Princess. So tasty. 

Fine print has the 18% gratuity automatically added also for JR Express.   Compared to doghouse on the Boardwalk and the cafe next to the basketball court & pool deck on the Oasis ships, this is a bit disappointing.

Edited by atricks

It will be interesting to see what drinks are included in the package at the Bamboo room! 

I am a fellow Brit flying out to join the Navigator (in April). Not looking forward to the flight!

Edited by Guest

17 minutes ago, atricks said:

Fine print has the 18% gratuity automatically added also for JR Express.   Compared to doghouse on the Boardwalk and the cafe next to the basketball court & pool deck on the Oasis ships, this is a bit disappointing.

Wonder if that is for the whole order or just the shakes?  If it’s for the entire bill that definitely starts making it less attractive!  Why would they even need to put a service charge on there?   Doesn’t seem to fit.  It’s a walk up food counter!

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Dan

Was adding gratuity as well which brings it up to $38.  Just seems pretty pricey for a grab and go option on a ship. 

Agree the brand may may be part of the problem, but Carnival has the partnership with Guy and they manage free burgers and fries poolside.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cruising305 said:

Agree the brand may may be part of the problem, but Carnival has the partnership with Guy and they manage free burgers and fries poolside.  

Ok, gotcha.  

That’s a very good point about Guys burgers on Carnival being free!  My in-laws rave about them. ( they only sailed Carnival until they started joining us on Royal)

Dan

Definitely hard to pay for burger and fries when it's FREE on Carnival. IMJS

But if it was Whataburger. Maybe I would pay. LOL!

Thx for the pics. 

Edited by cynt
  • Like 3

Considering that a lot of drinks are now in the $12 range, each, a burger for $6 (including tip) doesn’t feel so bad.   The tough part is paying for it when there are other very good free options like the Windjammer, who’s fries I already love.  Not so much the burgers though!

Dan

51 minutes ago, Glitterati said:

It will be interesting to see what drinks are included in the package at the Bamboo room! 

I am a fellow Brit flying out to join the Navigator (in April). Not looking forward to the flight!

Is the package limit $13? I always forget. The Bamboo Room menu on Mariner has classic cocktails at $12 and specialty cocktails at $14, so may only have to pay $1 extra for those. 

52 minutes ago, atricks said:

Well, El Loco Fresh is free, so that solves your problem. Just go there instead.

• Like 1

Like some else mentioned we'll be on the April 12th cruise and am sooo excited!  Thank you Emily Jay for doing this live review, it's going to get me even more pumped up for our cruise (which I have been talking about non-stop for months lol).  This post has already come in very handy because you have answered some questions I had.  Might try the JR as we don't have that were I live but probably only once seeing as I have to pay.... unless they are spectacular and I can't stop craving it lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cot427 said:

Is the package limit $13? I always forget. The Bamboo Room menu on Mariner has classic cocktails at $12 and specialty cocktails at $14, so may only have to pay $1 extra for those. 

Well, El Loco Fresh is free, so that solves your problem. Just go there instead.

Good to know.  (I'm on the April 12th final Navigator ABC cruise)

• Like 1

Oh and we will be dinning at Jamie's and Hooked for lunch.... any info on that would be great.  Oh, and if it's okay one more thing..... I know it is asking a lot (but you can chose to ignore me ;)  )  would there be anyway to see main dining room menus?  If you are enjoying your trip and don't even think about it I totally understand. 

Safe travels and have a blast!

Thanks again, I will live vicariously through your post for the next 9 days which will get me to close to one month away for ours :) :) :)

Let the daydreaming begin!

• Like 1

The Royal App also works for Navigator, and the daily planner comes up on there which is great and it can be used without paying for wifi. 

Some have said families can use it to keep in touch with each other for free.  Is this true?  How does that work?

That is a fantastic time for leaving hotel to on ship.  Enjoy every minute of it.

32 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Considering that a lot of drinks are now in the $12 range, each, a burger for $6 (including tip) doesn’t feel so bad.   The tough part is paying for it when there are other very good free options like the Windjammer, who’s fries I already love.  Not so much the burgers though!

Dan

Yes, but drinks were always an upcharge on cruises. Seems like more and more things that used to be included on ships are now becoming upcharges as well. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jasonmom said:

The Royal App also works for Navigator, and the daily planner comes up on there which is great and it can be used without paying for wifi. 

Some have said families can use it to keep in touch with each other for free.  Is this true?  How does that work?

That is a fantastic time for leaving hotel to on ship.  Enjoy every minute of it.

I'm not the expert in this but from what I understand it's the RoyaliQ that has the free messaging and not the royal app that is available for our cruise.  I was excited about the messaging feature but it's okay that we don't have it.  I never carry my phone around on the ship unless I want to take a specific picture, so doesn't faze me.

Another question- have they implemented the technology where they know your location and bring your drinks to your location? I know it was showcased last year!

I was scanning through the app and noticed the Adventure Ocean registration and teen club is on deck 14 (cosmo club), so it appears Adventure Ocean and the teen club rooms aren't quite done yet.

Edited by atricks

4 hours ago, EmilyJay said:

Day 2: EMBARKTION 

I was up at 5am thanks to Jetlag, plus the noise from the extremely thin walls of the hotel. 

We stayed at YVE hotel, 5 mins from port. The hotel is clean, great location but the noise was on another level. 

We left at 9.50am on a shuttle from our hotel, and were onboard by 10.20am. Rooms were available immediately which was lovely! 

We have an inside deck 7 cabin which was new carpet and from what I assume a new sofa. 

The ship has fresh carpets throughout and it smells incredible. 

I can comfirm there are 2 Freestyle soda machines on the Promanade and I haven’t been anywhere else but if I find anymore I will post about them. 

Wifi has been down up until now, and seems to be working ok at the moment. 

We have the famous hand washing song (which I actually like haha) at 4pm and sailaway at 5pm. 

I will write again later at the end of our day! 

So far so good. 

@EmilyJay  I have an inside cabin on the 3/29 sailing. What room are you in? Just curious if mine will be similar. Thanks for doing this to help prepare me for my trip.