twin beds made into K vs. Queen bed

samom

We normally sleep in a king. We have the option to have the twin beds made into a king or a queen. Sometimes when they make those beds up they are not comfortable so we were thinking a queen. Also wondering if the king would really eat into our room. We would take a balcony stateroom. Any thoughts as to comfort of the combined twins and space issue.

Are you sure you have that choice?  Most cruiselines use two twins together to make one bed, many are queens, some are kings, some are in between.  I can't remember what size it is on the PG (a nice big queen I think), but I can't imagine you having a choice.  Did they tell you there was a choice?

We have always had a queen bed at home. We've been on the Paul Gauguin twice in a B veranda stateroom, and haven't been asked if we wanted a king or queen, nor have we been asked that on our September cruise. On our last cruise, we were on HAL for the first time, and the 2 twins in our Neptune suite had a large bump at the edge of each twin mattress. It was very uncomfortable. We didn't experience that on any of our previous cruises.

Oh I am so sorry. I did not make myself clear. My question is since we normally sleep in a king would we be better to have the twins made up into one bed or stick with the Queen. Sometimes it is not comfortable to have the twins made up as one bed and sometimes it is. I was wondering in this case if anyone had chosen to do this. If so, was it comfortable and more room than a traditional queen.

12 hours ago, samom said:

Oh I am so sorry. I did not make myself clear. My question is since we normally sleep in a king would we be better to have the twins made up into one bed or stick with the Queen. Sometimes it is not comfortable to have the twins made up as one bed and sometimes it is. I was wondering in this case if anyone had chosen to do this. If so, was it comfortable and more room than a traditional queen.

On most cruise ships, and I believe this includes the PG, "twins" are not true "twins" but rather slightly smaller. Thus when pushed together they do not make a true king. The beds in most cabins on most cruise ships are not standard sizes even though the cruise lines tend to refer to them as twin, queen or king.  I believe that you will have the same size bed regardless of whether you have a bed that can be split vs. one that can't be.  

On 3/3/2019 at 1:00 AM, minabruuke said:

On most cruise ships, and I believe this includes the PG, "twins" are not true "twins" but rather slightly smaller. Thus when pushed together they do not make a true king. The beds in most cabins on most cruise ships are not standard sizes even though the cruise lines tend to refer to them as twin, queen or king.  I believe that you will have the same size bed regardless of whether you have a bed that can be split vs. one that can't be.  

That's my belief too.  Whether it's a king or a queen, it's splittable, that is, they don't move the beds in and out depending on your preference, but just divide or join them as needed.  I believe there's some kind of pad, so the channel between the two is not very apparent or bothersome.

• 2 weeks later...

The whole bedding thing is confusing to me as well. The PG web site just mentions Twins or Queens, but when we booked our upcoming June 2019 seven-night cruise, we booked Deck 8, Category B, and the PG rep on the phone said those rooms included a King. Our email confirmation even says "805/King". I guess we'll find out for sure when we get there.

I just checked our reservation online, and what it says for our Deck 8, Category B reservation is "joined" for the bed type. Our invoice does not say what type of bed we have. What does your invoice say?

We book through a cruise TA. We were put in touch with her after asking for a quote on the PG website when we decided to start taking cruises a few years ago. She's been great to work with and we have booked all of our cruises since then with her, even when they aren't with Paul Gauguin.

Is the email confirmation from Paul Gauguin, of a cruise travel agent? We don't normally receive any email directly from Paul Gauguin and there's nothing in any of our correspondence or in our invoice that says "room number/bed size".

They definitely aren't moving mattresses in and out of state rooms. I doubt that any cruise line does that since turnaround time is very limited, and where would they store mattresses on a small ship like the Paul Gauguin? You will have 2 twin mattresses pushed together (and they do that nicely). Is it a true California King? It doesn't feel like it, but it is plenty roomy.

Edited by SWFLAOK
typo

40 minutes ago, SWFLAOK said:

I just checked our reservation online, and what it says for our Deck 8, Category B reservation is "joined" for the bed type. Our invoice does not say what type of bed we have. What does your invoice say?

We book through a cruise TA. We were put in touch with her after asking for a quote on the PG website when we decided to start taking cruises a few years ago. She's been great to work with and we have booked all of our cruises since then with her, even when they aren't with Paul Gauguin.

Is the email confirmation from Paul Gauguin, of a cruise travel agent? We don't normally receive any email directly from Paul Gauguin and there's nothing in any of our correspondence or in our invoice that says "room number/bed size".

They definitely aren't moving mattresses in and out of state rooms. I doubt that any cruise line does that since turnaround time is very limited, and where would they store mattresses on a small ship like the Paul Gauguin? You will have 2 twin mattresses pushed together (and they do that nicely). Is it a true California King? It doesn't feel like it, but it is plenty roomy.

We booked direct with Paul Gauguin, not through a travel agent, so all of our emails/correspondence is direct from Paul Gauguin.

On the official confirmation Invoice PDF we received from PG it says:    Cabin/Bed Type:  805/King

When I look at our reservation summary on the Paul Gauguin web site, it only shows room number, no bedding type. There is a tab you can click on for "Cabin" information, but it is just the standard boilerplate cabin description for Category B that is also shown on the PG public web site. So PG is representing the bed to be a "king". What that really means will be seen when we get on board.

Could the Cat B cabins have slightly larger twins that combine into a King when joined?

Edited by JIMinNC

Also, when you select your cabin on the PG web site during the booking process, some are noted as "Configurable" (meaning two twin beds that can be combined into a single bed) while others are noted as "Non-Configurable" (which I assume means a single bed rather than two). The Configurable cabins are noted with a black dot in the online PG Deck Plans. So, since 805 is Non-Configurable, my assumption has been it will be one bed. Whether it is a true King as PG represents on the Invoice is yet to be seen.

Interesting that the deck plans have comment that 801 has king, (seems like if others on that deck did they would comment) I can tell you they used to call the PG beds 'European Kings' now they rightly call them queens. The first line under accomodations on the website says what follows so clearly a king size bed would be an exception. If it's important to you, recommend you call PG to get clarity. 

Nearly 70% of suites and staterooms have private balconies, and all feature an ocean view, temperature control, queen-size bed (a limited number can have twin-bed configuration)

14 hours ago, JIMinNC said:

Also, when you select your cabin on the PG web site during the booking process, some are noted as "Configurable" (meaning two twin beds that can be combined into a single bed) while others are noted as "Non-Configurable" (which I assume means a single bed rather than two). The Configurable cabins are noted with a black dot in the online PG Deck Plans. So, since 805 is Non-Configurable, my assumption has been it will be one bed. Whether it is a true King as PG represents on the Invoice is yet to be seen.

You've figured out the mystery between our deck 8 cabin and yours. We have always been in a configurable (black dot) cabin, and will be again on our next cruise. I've never been in cabin without a dot, except for cocktails in 801. That's a bigger cabin and the bed looked like a real King. It also had a coffee maker, which I really envied.

Don't forget to bring a tape measure and let us know the measurements of the non-configurable King bed. But put it in you're checked bag if it's metal. I had a small one on a keychain in my carryon, and it resulted in my bag being hand searched by TSA  to find out what it was.

On 3/20/2019 at 10:29 PM, sita said:

Interesting that the deck plans have comment that 801 has king, (seems like if others on that deck did they would comment) I can tell you they used to call the PG beds 'European Kings' now they rightly call them queens. The first line under accomodations on the website says what follows so clearly a king size bed would be an exception. If it's important to you, recommend you call PG to get clarity. 

Nearly 70% of suites and staterooms have private balconies, and all feature an ocean view, temperature control, queen-size bed (a limited number can have twin-bed configuration)

I needed to call Paul Gauguin to verify that we would have transfers from the airport to our two-night pre-cruise stay at the IC even though we booked our air ourselves (we will), so while I had them on the phone, I asked the question about King vs Queen in cabin 805. The rep checked and said that it is a King. So, I guess we will have to see whether PG defines "King" the same as we do. Either way we'll be fine, but a full King or at least a "larger-than-normal-Queen" would be nice.