Great Mediterranean Cruise 11/2019

I have cruised several times on Carnival to the Caribbean, this will be my first time ever going to Europe. I am a simple country girl from Tennessee, myself (40) and my daughter (20) will be headed to Barcelona November 2019. I have a TON of questions! I am hoping for lots of information. I have always searched this site for info on cruises, I now have the Caribbean mastered, lol. I have never cruised NCL, so I am not sure if there are really anything different that they do and dont allow that Carnival does.  I have added my itinerary, I have a balcony room booked. My initial plans were to take our cameras and just go with the flow, but the planning part of me cant decide what to do! I have read so much that I am at a loss. My daughter isn't much on the long long lines of things, I am afraid she will just want to miss out on several great once in a life things if I don't push her. (I think this is the typical teen/spoiled child action)

Things I would like to know:

1. What will the weather be like then? What do I pack? I am sure swim wear will not be needed?

2. What are some of the best things to do DIY style?

3. What are some MUST do's and dont's?

4. Please help!

5. Where and how do I exchange currency?

6. My flight leaves Barcelona @ 10a and I am hoping that isn't too early!

7. I don't know what else I need to know! A lot I am sure!

THANKS IN ADVANCE,

Lost Future European Cruiser

Day Cruise Ports Arrive Depart
Day 1 Barcelona, Spain (EMBARK) --- 6:00 pm
Barcelona, Spain
  • Day:
    Day 1
  • Arrive:
    ---
  • Depart:
    6:00 pm

Barcelona, Spain

The capital of Catalonia, and one of its provinces, Barcelona, is a place of palpable history, where you can lose yourself strolling down the medieval streets of the Barri Gotic. It's a city designed to delight the senses: visit other-worldly Modernista churches like Gaudi's La Sagrada Familia, or treat yourself at a street side cafe to Patatas Bravas or a Passion Fruit Mojito. Explore more of Barcelona on a European cruise!
Day 2 At Sea --- ---
Day 3 Valletta, Malta 7:00 am 6:00 pm
Valletta, Malta
  • Day:
    Day 3
  • Arrive:
    7:00 am
  • Depart:

Valletta, Malta

Although somewhat scarred by World War II, Valletta prides itself on its magnificent Baroque palaces, piazzas, gardens and churches. The Magisterial Palace, built between 1571 and 1574, now houses the Maltese Parliament and offices of the President of Malta.
Day 4 At Sea --- ---
Day 5 Santorini, Greece 8:00 am 8:00 pm
Santorini, Greece
  • Day:
    Day 5
  • Arrive:
    8:00 am
  • Depart:
    8:00 pm

Santorini, Greece

Whitewashed villages clinging to the sides of the sea cliffs have made the volcanic island of Santorini one of the most widely photographed places in the world. The island's charm and subtle mystery have even made it a target of speculation as the location of the lost city of Atlantis.
Day 6 Mykonos, Greece 8:00 am 5:00 pm
Mykonos, Greece
  • Day:
    Day 6
  • Arrive:
  • Depart:
    5:00 pm

Mykonos, Greece

Mykonos is a classic Greek Island with whitewashed houses, blue-domed churches and windmills. Add a reputation for beautiful beaches and you'll understand why Mykonos is the most popular island in the Cyclades. Explore the island in a 4 x 4 or take a ferry to the tiny island of Delos. Explore more of Mykonos on a European cruise!
Day 7 At Sea --- ---
Day 8 Naples, Italy 7:00 am 7:00 pm
Naples, Italy
  • Day:
    Day 8
  • Arrive:
  • Depart:
    7:00 pm

Naples, Italy

Cruise to Naples, located on Italy's stunning Amalfi coast, a city rich in history. A tour around Naples' grand piazzas, cathedrals and castles in the old center will take you back centuries. Pompeii is not too far either, a dashing city which boasts diverse cultural offerings and charming streets. Explore more of Naples on a European cruise!
Day 9 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 6:00 am 7:00 pm
Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy
  • Day:
    Day 9
  • Arrive:
    6:00 am
  • Depart:

Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy

Endless adventures await in Rome. With two and a half thousand years of history, art and culture, it is no wonder Rome is one of the most visited cities on the planet. Gaze at the masterpieces of the Vatican or walk into the past with visits to ancient relics, historic monuments and legendary museums. Or people-watch while sipping on an espresso in a quaint cafe.
Day 10 Florence/Pisa (Livorno), Italy 7:00 am 7:00 pm
Florence/Pisa (Livorno), Italy
  • Day:
    Day 10
  • Arrive:
  • Depart:

Florence/Pisa (Livorno), Italy

How lucky to visit the Tuscan region, Florence & Pisa, resplendent in art and history. What's even more fortunate is that all the main attractions in Florence are centrally located for the perfect walking tour. See Santa Croce, Piazza del Duomo and Michelangelo's David. Explore more of Florence & Pisa on a European cruise!
Day 11 Cannes, France 8:00 am 6:00 pm
Cannes, France
  • Day:
    Day 11
  • Arrive:
  • Depart:

Cannes, France

Drive up Suquet Hill for a view of the city, sea and Lerins Island - fabulous dahling! How many rich and famous can you spot, walk the palm-lined promenade de la Croisette and count. The French Riviera at its best...the International Film Festival calls this home. Explore more of Cannes on a European cruise!
Day 12 Palma, Majorca, Spain 1:00 pm 8:00 pm
Palma, Majorca, Spain
  • Day:
    Day 12
  • Arrive:
    1:00 pm
  • Depart:
    8:00 pm

Palma, Majorca, Spain

On the one hand, this city, founded by the Romans some 2,100 years ago, is replete with (literally) wall-to-wall history and architectural splendor. You can journey back in time and wander the mazes of alleyways and cobblestone paths that surround the Gothic cathedral. On the other hand, Palma is bustling with life, showcasing the island's best restaurants, shops, nightlife and a vibrant art scene. Explore more of Palma on a European cruise!
Day 13 Barcelona, Spain (DISEMBARK) 5:00 am ---
Barcelona, Spain
  • Day:
    Day 13
  • Arrive:
    5:00 am
  • Depart:
    ---

Barcelona, Spain

The capital of Catalonia, and one of its provinces, Barcelona, is a place of palpable history, where you can lose yourself strolling down the medieval streets of the Barri Gotic. It's a city designed to delight the senses: visit other-worldly Modernista churches like Gaudi's La Sagrada Familia, or treat yourself at a street side cafe to Patatas Bravas or a Passion Fruit Mojito. Explore more of Barcelona on a European cruise!

Your post opens many questions before you can get answers.  Are your plane reservations already firm?  If so when do you arrive in Barcelona prior to your cruise.   There is lots to see and do there.  Generally at the top of the list is the Sagrada Familia and you should pre purchase tickets to avoid spending excess time inline.  Lots of other Gaudi sites, as well as wonderful museums for Picasso and Miro.  Just walking Las Ramblas is part of the experience.

Not sure about your 10:00AM departure.  When does ship arrive and are you planning self debarking?

You will be able to use Euros everywhere.  I prefer to just withdraw from a bank ATM in town, just as you take money out at home. Hopefully you have a card that reemburses fees.  Also let your bank know you will be traveling. That’s true for you CC’s as well.  Your CC’s should work throughout Europe.  If you want to bring some Euros from home just check with your bank or AAA. 

You might want to get a book like R. Steve’s Mediterranean cruise ports to begin your research.  Another good source is Tom’s Port Guides.  Just search online.

Most of these ports can be done OYO or with local tour companies but you need to have some idea in advance of what you want to see and book.

Lastly be aware of the fact that in some of these ports, Livorno, Civitavecchia, you are docking at considerable distance from the town listed, so you do not just walk off the ship into port.  Even in Naples, while you are in town, most of the popular attractions, Pompeii, Herculaneum, the Amalfi Coast are a distance away.

You should search ports of call on these boards as well and join your Roll Call for the cruise.

34 minutes ago, wheezedr said:

Your post opens many questions before you can get answers.  Are your plane reservations already firm? YES  

If so when do you arrive in Barcelona prior to your cruise. 1600 11/9/19  There is lots to see and do there.  Generally at the top of the list is the Sagrada Familia and you should pre purchase tickets to avoid spending excess time inline.  Lots of other Gaudi sites, as well as wonderful museums for Picasso and Miro.  Just walking Las Ramblas is part of the experience.

Not sure about your 10:00AM departure.  When does ship arrive and are you planning self debarking? ship arrives at 0500, plan to self debark, flight from Barcelona to Miami is scheduled to leave at 1005

You will be able to use Euros everywhere.  I prefer to just withdraw from a bank ATM in town, just as you take money out at home. Hopefully you have a card that reemburses fees.  Also let your bank know you will be traveling. That’s true for you CC’s as well.  Your CC’s should work throughout Europe.  If you want to bring some Euros from home just check with your bank or AAA. Got it! I read something about a Revolut Card, but if I can just withdraw money there, I would think that would be just fine!

You might want to get a book like R. Steve’s Mediterranean cruise ports to begin your research.  Another good source is Tom’s Port Guides.  Just search online. I was going to order this, but the newest one is set to release September 2019, so my plan is to purchase the newest version!

Most of these ports can be done OYO or with local tour companies but you need to have some idea in advance of what you want to see and book.

Lastly be aware of the fact that in some of these ports, Livorno, Civitavecchia, you are docking at considerable distance from the town listed, so you do not just walk off the ship into port.  Even in Naples, while you are in town, most of the popular attractions, Pompeii, Herculaneum, the Amalfi Coast are a distance away.

You should search ports of call on these boards as well and join your Roll Call for the cruise.

Thank you for your time to reply! I am looking forward to this, just need to know who, what and when we want to do. Lol. We're both pretty spontaneous and tend to fly by the seat of our pants and just wing it most of the time, but I see we have to work on that with this cruise@

You can certainly wing it in most of those locations, but you may miss out on major draws for those ports.  For example, Naples is the entry point for Pompeii.  It will be easier to get there if you've done a bit of research first.  Civitvecchia, as mentioned, is the "port" for Rome, but it's an hour drive.  Winging it there also, is possible, but if you  want to see Rome, or some of the other more well known excursion locations, some planning will help.

Mallorca you can easily wing it. Livorno is an easy train ride to Pisa and Lucca, and both cities are easy to DIY. 

• 2 weeks later...

Oh so many things!!  So excited for you.  I'll try to keep this brief.... (And stick to the ports I know best)

Swimwear - it won't be that warm in November.  I wouldn't necessarily plan on any beaches. Light shirts should be OK with a jacket.

Easy to wing it in Valetta - loads of churches in particular. Easy cruise terminal. Unlikely to be lines. 

Santorini - massive lines if you want to go to Fira.  No way around that.  Please don't use the Donkeys to get up and down.  Walk if you are fit enough or queue for the cable car. (You can get advance tickets online)  Worth it when you get to the top which is really lovely.  Or opt to take the ferry to Oya which is quieter.  You'll tender into Santorini too - so plan for lines to get out and back.

Mykanos - absolutely wing it. Get lost in the back streets.  But if you see something in a shop you like get it there and then.  Don't plan on finding the shop again!  One of my absolutely favourite Islands!

Naples - you can wing it but it isn't an entirely safe port.  Moped Muggings are relatively common. There are HoHo buses in the port itself.  Pompei is spectacular - but for fewer queues try Herculaneum. Quieter and closer.  And - to my mind - more interesting.   The sights are better if you go in the morning as the sun is at the right angle to see down into the excavations.

Rome - Rome is over an hour away by coach, or you can get a train from the port.  There isn't a great deal at the port itself but it is pretty.  If you go into Rome independently watch for your travel time returning.  Not such an issue on the train but traffic can snarl up and delay a journey back by road.  If you want to avoid queues don't go to the Vatican.  (If you just want to minimize you can buy advance tickets on line).  There is loads to do in Rome otherwise.  It is just  the travel to / from.

Cannes I know well as a tourist but not from a Cruise.  Certainly easy to wing it - head up and slightly left from Nike beach into the old cobbled town for the markets.  But I have no idea how to get to Cannes town from the boat.  If you are still feeling flush get a taxi up into the hills to Le Bastide Hotel for Bellinis on their terrace.

Cruise sounds great Barcelona is a great place to visit and to start your cruise would arrive at least one day before, also 10am flight leaving would scare me. We loved Naples great city with best pizza in the world, Pompeii is a amazing side trip and so is the island of Capri. Florence is my favorite city to visit, we did a great tour with a tour company called papillon which also stoped at Pisa and finished with a wine tasting at a local vineyard. Need to join your roll call it’s fun to take some trips with others on your cruise and can save lots of money over cost of ship tours.roll call members can answer many more of your questions.

If you don't want lines, instead of Pompeii go to Herculaneum and you can DIY!!  My parents did this and they are in their 80's!

You just need to get on the train and get off at the station for Ercolano Scavi and you can walk to the ruins.  This town was covered by the same eruption that blanketed Pompeii, but there are fewer crowds and the site is more covered. I think this is a must see if you can get on the train from Naples.

• 3 weeks later...