Room Attendant once a day

Bee Guy

I really do not need my room attendant's service in the evening.  If the room is made up in the morning, I am fine.  Anyone ever request their room attendant service only once a day?  Are they allowed to skip the evening service?

2 minutes ago, M-H-B said:

First timer here: what is it that they do on the second visit and about what time is it? 

Turn down service, touch up bathroom, nothing major. It's done by dinner being completed. 

Edited by Johnamac123
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, M-H-B said:

First timer here: what is it that they do on the second visit and about what time is it? 

Usually around dinner time.  The straighten up a little, sometime leave a "towel animal" and drop off cruise compass for next day.  All nice, but not necessary for me.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, M-H-B said:

We always shower in the evening before dinner, so they exchange the towels, clean up the bathroom and we are a family of 4, so they pull out the bed and turn down the other bed.  

• Like 4

M-H-B...We like the service twice a day. It's always nice to come back to the the cabin later in the day to fresh towels, bed made, curtains opened, fresh ice in the ice bucket. Also nice to come back to the cabin later in the evening  to fresh towels, bed turned down, curtains drawn, lights by the bed on, Cruise Compass for the next day, ice bucket refilled and sometimes towel creatures. Some cabin attendants are very imaginative making them.  The little things that we like about cruising. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, LMaxwell said:

Yes, very easy, use the do not disturb tag and/or communicate your wishes.  No problem.  Have it your way. 

Probably, but I would rather communicate my wishes to him/her than have them wait around wondering if I will leave at some point so that they can get in.

• Like 1

It is nice to come back to the room and everything is made up and refreshed twice a day. Sometimes we may take a nap in the afternoon, or get another shower, and everything is put back together when we come back from dinner.

Now I know there are people on here who will say "that is bad for the environment, washing towels more than needed" or "why make an attendant do twice as much work", so please refrain from negative comments :)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Bee Guy said:

Probably, but I would rather communicate my wishes to him/her than have them wait around wondering if I will leave at some point so that they can get in.

I would definitely speak with your attendant the first day and communicate your wishes, precisely for the reason you stated.

• Like 2

For us - we tend to shower before dinner instead of the morning - so I like the twice daily. Mornings to make the bed and evenings to straighten up the bath. Also like them refilling our ice bucket. Plus - we love towel animals and getting the compass delivery!

If I was going to skip a service - I would let the attendant know but also make arrangements for him/her to leave my compass in the mail slot at the door and also find out how to reach them if I did need something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, Spunky946 said:

We always shower in the evening before dinner, so they exchange the towels, clean up the bathroom and we are a family of 4, so they pull out the bed and turn down the other bed.  

Yea, if it's needed, setting up the pullout bed is definitely the big ticket item on turndown service.

I've never "turned down" the turn down service (wow, an absolutely horrible pun), but agree that it definitely makes sense to let them know in advance.

I know a couple who went on their first cruise a few years ago. He keeps fairly normal hours but she usually doesn't go to bed until 3 or 4 in the morning. I told him to let his cabin attendant know that he or she could skip the morning service and just do the evening service. The attendant had no problem with that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bee Guy said:

I really do not need my room attendant's service in the evening.  If the room is made up in the morning, I am fine.  Anyone ever request their room attendant service only once a day?  Are they allowed to skip the evening service?

We lock them out until aftet lunch.... that works fine! 👍

• Haha 1

It’s always a good idea to communicate what you want as far as cabin servicing. Stewards usually have a couple of hours off during the day.  If they don’t get your cabin serviced before they go “off duty” they usually have to wait to complete their assigned cabins.  Same way in the evening - they have to do all their rooms, otherwise their supervisor will check to make sure they are not “skipping.”  All you have to do is tell them when they first introduce themselves.

• Like 1

I'm a night-shifter and a night owl.  I close down the nightclub every single night, then usually get a snack with newly-minted friends, before turning in, often around 4-5am.  As a result, I typically sleep until almost noon, when it's time to head to the MDR for my beloved Tutti Salad for breakfast/lunch! 😄

I let my room steward know, the very first day, to bring me double the towels (so I have morning and night towels, as needed), and to just skip my room in the mornings if the Do Not Disturb sign is still posted. 

I also let them know that I will not be reducing my tips just because I'm not getting twice-a-day service, and if their supervisor has any questions, to please have him ask me about it.  

On days when I am out of the room in the morning for an excursion, he goes ahead and makes the beds and switches out any dirty towels, but on sea days when I'm dead to the world, he just leaves me be.  

• Like 3

Sometimes I have them come in twice a day but mostly only one time a day. To me if I get on the bed during the day it only takes a minute to pull the covers back up. I don't do it perfectly, but I don't care of it is or isn't. I know that is what they are there for but I find it unnecessary for them to "touch up" stuff if I don't need anything. Since it is random for when I want them in 1 time or 2 times a day I just let them know that day or put out the do not disturb sign. I usually see them in the hall way in the mornings.

8 hours ago, Spunky946 said:

So do we, in fact even if I normally showered in the morning I would still want another before dinner, especially after a day ashore or a sunscreen soaked day round the pool, can't imagine feeling  comfortable during dinner without having showered.

We feel for the cabin stewards. Last cruise he told us he had 20 cabins. We never do the turn down, and usually have him come in every other day. We just get the new towels from him/her when we see them. It is just the two of us and we pick up after ourselves, so the cabin is fine. We don’t reduce our prepId gratuities and usually give an extra 20 at the end of the cruise. We always feel lucky to be cruising and are easy to please.😉😉