On-Board Camera Purchase - Assistance Appreciated

I would really appreciate if anyone with experience of purchasing a camera on-board would consider it both good economically and was accompanied by some well-informed assistance from the salesperson ?

I have cruised extensively and indeed, consistantly looked at the rather limited choices on most cruises but never actually purchased, mainly because I have just never been convinced that I am getting a good deal and really know so little regarding the technical side of what I am looking at.

Specifically, I am looking to buy a camcorder (or are they just called digital cameras) and really don't know if I should purchase prior to my next June voyage or wait and get a good deal on-board? 

Any recommendations or suggestion would be really appreciated - I doubt that I will use it other than on a cruise and so suspect I would likely be looking at a price range of say £200-£300 ($250-$350)?

With grateful thanks.

Edited by johnsuttoncoldfield
Error

From time to time I have watched the ship prices for a particular camera that I was interested in purchasing and comparing it to what I have seen here at home as well as certain ports.  My finding so far in my limited search has been that the ship prices are more than one can get by searching at home using the internet.  Always do an internet search as well as a search at businesses at home before buying ship products.  

Here is the website I have used in the past to research digital cameras!  There is more than enough information for you to make an educated decision on what best fits your needs!

https://www.opticsplanet.com/s/digital-cameras

As suggested by others, I highly recommend becoming comfortable in using the new camera! 

Happy Hunting,  Whitetrike

From the Cruise Critic web site:

Whether you're itching for a new camera or forgot some equipment back home, we advise you to refrain from purchasing any electronics onboard (unless it's something small, like a memory card). Any money you save won't be worth the hassle of trying to deal with product returns/exchanges, warranties or any post-purchase maintenance -- and we've heard some horror stories from Cruise Critic members. You're better off buying the camera online, or, depending on your itinerary, you might have better luck shopping for electronics in port.

1 hour ago, famski740 said:

One problem you will have with purchasing a camera on board is if there is a problem with the camera after purchase, repair or replacement can sometimes be extremely difficult.

1 hour ago, famski740 said:

One problem you will have with purchasing a camera on board is if there is a problem with the camera after purchase, repair or replacement can sometimes be extremely difficult.

19 minutes ago, isosika said:

From the Cruise Critic web site:

Whether you're itching for a new camera or forgot some equipment back home, we advise you to refrain from purchasing any electronics onboard (unless it's something small, like a memory card). Any money you save won't be worth the hassle of trying to deal with product returns/exchanges, warranties or any post-purchase maintenance -- and we've heard some horror stories from Cruise Critic members. You're better off buying the camera online, or, depending on your itinerary, you might have better luck shopping for electronics in port.

I agree!  

IMO....

Better prices with Amazon/Costco.

3 hours ago, johnsuttoncoldfield said:

I would really appreciate if anyone with experience of purchasing a camera on-board would consider it both good economically and was accompanied by some well-informed assistance from the salesperson ?

I have cruised extensively and indeed, consistantly looked at the rather limited choices on most cruises but never actually purchased, mainly because I have just never been convinced that I am getting a good deal and really know so little regarding the technical side of what I am looking at.

Specifically, I am looking to buy a camcorder (or are they just called digital cameras) and really don't know if I should purchase prior to my next June voyage or wait and get a good deal on-board? 

Any recommendations or suggestion would be really appreciated - I doubt that I will use it other than on a cruise and so suspect I would likely be looking at a price range of say £200-£300 ($250-$350)?

With grateful thanks.

You will definitely get one cheaper on line...try Amazon

Sorry to say there is little, if anything, I have ever found cheaper to buy aboard a cruise ship !

Check out the price of what you would like to buy, at home or online, then compare with ship's onboard prices..sad thing is you may go home without a purchase ! Remember to compare the exact same model number.

Others may have had a different experience but you can only speak as you find.

I greatly appreciate all of your comments and will take them on-board (excuse the pun) - I will do some research regarding what deals are out there. It is obvious by the responses that there is no benefit to waiting and purchasing on-board.

If I can just ask one further follow-on question to those of you who are far more experienced on the photographic scene - is there any particular make/model of digital camera/camcorder that I should be looking at in that £200-£300 ($250-$350) range? I enjoy taking "still" photographs but just fancy branching out to a more "video" based concept. Something fairly compact that has an acceptable battery life and adequate memory I guess is important, albeit I do accept that the price range I am looking at will likely restrict. If I need to pay more I certainly would but as I will only use it on vacations I am thinking it would not be worth the additional expence.

With my very grateful thanks.  

At one time I was into photography and had a bunch of 35mm equipment ... took a LOT of slides

Then got into video and went thru a handful of video cameras - from when they were huge to smaller 8mm ones

Then started playing with digital cameras and have been thru several of those

on my most recent cruise I had both a small digital camera and my iPhone .... all the video I shot was with an iPhone (and not a new one ... a "5")  The pictures I get from the phone are equal in quality to my simple digital camera - I still carry it because it is easy to change storage cards and I do change them every couple of days to minimize loss 'just in case'

long way to say ... sure you can't get by with a decent smartphone????  The camera in a decent phone is gonna be just fine, unless you are looking at high end dedicated cameras where you can change lens etc ... more than you are looking for.  Then get a decent computer program so you can edit that video!

Edited by Capt_BJ

I had some OBC to burn up so I bought a GoPro-style camera for several hundred dollars in OBC. A couple of years after that point the touchscreen on the back of the camera failed. It's still possible to use the camera in a rudimentary fashion but for example, setting the clock requires the touchscreen. I found a customer service email address online for the camera but they told me that since I was in the US and they are in, IIRC, Italy, they couldn't be on any help.

I then bought a similar camera via a site that primarily direct-ships from China for about $20. It uses menu buttons rather than a touchscreen, so maybe it will last longer. If not, I'm not out as much money.

I purchased a Canon using OBC.  I’d wanted that camera - due to cost purchased the less expensive model. Using OBC, I ended up with the camera with the higher zoom for about the same price as a camera outlet.  No savings but not out of pocket either.

If if you have the OBC, use it rather than lose it. Any electronic can fail, one watch stopped working within one hour, it was returned and no substitute was wanted.

I’m looking at some Apple products next week.

I used to shoot a lot of video and I enjoyed it.  However, there are some things to learn and you will ruin some shots before figuring it out.  Things like moving the camera across a scene too fast will make your viewers dizzy.  You will soon learn to slow down.  Did you shoot enough video for a good scene when you edit it into a movie?  If it's too short you can't use it.

Then you get to enjoy it all again when you edit it into a movie, add titles, music, etc.  You then have your finished product.

This is where I quit shooting video.  I figured out that it wasn't until the final product was done that I actually saw my vacation.  Before that I was always too busy thinking about what I was doing and insuring that I was producing a good product, so I never really paid much attention to the vacation.  My mind was wrapped up in footage.

When I realized that I didn't see my vacation until weeks after I came home, I quit shooting video.  My camera now  resides in a file cabinet, unused for years - and I'm happily enjoying my vacations, shooting an occasional still.

10 hours ago, satxdiver said:

From time to time I have watched the ship prices for a particular camera that I was interested in purchasing and comparing it to what I have seen here at home as well as certain ports.  My finding so far in my limited search has been that the ship prices are more than one can get by searching at home using the internet.  Always do an internet search as well as a search at businesses at home before buying ship products.  

Same experience here.   Have always found on-board prices higher than what I could get at home or online.  

Best advice -- like Satxdiver says, do research before you jump at the ship price.  

Personally, I can't imagine finding a situation where the a camera I wanted would be available on the ship, at a reasonable price and with a warranty that is readily accessible. The ships normally sell the same brands used by onboard photogs.

For a specific camera, I use Canon systems, so am familiar with that brand. In your price range I would look at the Canon SX60, or similar models. Suggest finding a camera shop and actually get an opportunity to try the camera in your hands. Does both photos & film.

The other issue, what happens if you do your research, decide on what you want to buy, then when you get on the ship, they do not carry that brand or model?  So you buy something you don't want?  Or do you do without for the cruise?

The other issue is, if you buy it before the cruise, you can take time and learn how to use it, before your cruise.  Instead of taking time on the cruise to figure out your camera.

Another point, taking good video (and good pictures) is not as easy as people seem to think it is.  And as mentioned previously, the editing of video is what makes it work, but it is time consuming.

And then, what will you do with them?

Just some thoughts.

At some point I realized all I was doing was posting images for sharing on various social sites with family & friends.  When that realization took hold, I gave away all of my DSLRs & accessories.  Kids have some nice cameras now.  I use my iPhone.