Nieuw Statendam FA. Bunk over bed?

quandrea

Looking to book a category FA (family cabin) as a party of five.  It is very important to me that the pull down bunk be over the sofa rather than the bed.  Does anyone know which FA staterooms have the bed over the couch?  Holland America doesn't seem to know when asked over the phone.  I was thinking that perhaps people who have been on the ship will have some insight.

21 hours ago, quandrea said:

Looking to book a category FA (family cabin) as a party of five.  It is very important to me that the pull down bunk be over the sofa rather than the bed.  Does anyone know which FA staterooms have the bed over the couch?  Holland America doesn't seem to know when asked over the phone.  I was thinking that perhaps people who have been on the ship will have some insight.

Following we found it very odd the bunk over the main bed too, we were used to disney with it over the couch. My husband hit his head a few times our last cruise 

HA is researching this for me. Apparently some cabins have the bed over the couch. I will hear from them in a few days and will report back. 

On on a side note, how did you find the ventilation in that room?  How did you find it for space?  We are a family of five. 

We were on the veendam last easter in a quad ocean view. We are on the Nieuw Amsterdam for spring break this year. On disney we travel with another family of five often. They only have large suites for five, they found it it cheaper and more room to get 2 connecting outside cabins then a veranda suite 

We've booked two (of our 3) staterooms on Eurodam on this summer's Alaska cruise that will be set-up with the upper bunk. Based on what I've seen, I'm expecting them to be over the main bed. I'll be curious to see how it turns out for the kids.

I was in a Koningsdam family room over Christmas.  I've been meaning to post about it.  YES.  Our bunk was over the bed.  It wasn't too bad.  The most irritating part of the room's design was that the bed and bunk are closest to the window.  The couch is between the "master bed" and the hallways/bathrooms/closets.  When the couch is pulled out, it abuts the desk.  Seriously tight.  You have to move the chair.  So in order to get to the bathroom, you have to CLIMB over the pulled out bed (and those in that bed).  

3 hours ago, grsnovi said:

Well that wouldn't be fun in the middle of the night.

NO.  Just...no.  I am about to overshare....

The last night of our cruise the seas were REALLY rough.  My daughter, up in the top bunk, got seasick.  She thought she was ok...and then she wasn't.  She struggled down the ladder, and tried to make it across the bed... but didn't.  

22 minutes ago, 1964IceCreamLady said:

NO.  Just...no.  I am about to overshare....

The last night of our cruise the seas were REALLY rough.  My daughter, up in the top bunk, got seasick.  She thought she was ok...and then she wasn't.  She struggled down the ladder, and tried to make it across the bed... but didn't.  

These rooms sound like a bit of a nightmare. I think I’ll stick to my two connecting staterooms. 

• 1 month later...

I'm currently in 1021.  The bunk is essentially over the couch.  The head/foot of the bunk is about even with the side of the bed.  You should be able to see the outline of the bunk in this photo.

IMG_6657.JPG.6060efdc9f1df19ed1f44d64b3540756.JPG

Roy

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I'm currently in 1021.  The bunk is essentially over the couch.  The head/foot of the bunk is about even with the side of the bed.  You should be able to see the outline of the bunk in this photo.

Roy

It's not a job, it's an adventure! 😀

On 4/26/2019 at 10:47 AM, rafinmd said:

Roy

Seems like a great improvement from the Koningsdam family OV layout (bunk bed over the couch and folding bed not anymore between the main bed and the bathroom). Good job HAL!