Cruise Critic Community
poss

advance tickets for La Sagrada Familia?

We'll be in Barcelona the last several days of May.   I tired to purchase advance tickets on line, but the calendar did not go that far.  I'm wondering if I'm using an incorrect website?

Thanks.

Edited by poss

I am also waiting to get tickets for June 1st.  I read on another forum that they sell two months out.

Their website opened up to pre purchase tickets on 8/8/2018 for a tour date of 10/16/2018. That was my experience. I checked their website everyday starting on 7/16/2018.

Thanks for the replies.

WallyNDiane:   How did you tour the basilica?   guide or not?   About how much time did you spend there?

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the replies.

WallyNDiane:   How did you tour the basilica?   guide or not?   About how much time did you spend there?

We did the guided tour. We spent over 3 hours at the church. After the guided tour was over, we spent additional time in the church. Before the tour, spend time outside the church and in the small park across the street that allows for great views of the church.

Our tour was at 5:30 pm and the late afternoon sun magically lit the church through the orange/red stained glass windows. The stained glass show was a treat and something you don't see on European churches.

We took the metro over from our hotel so transportation timing was not an issue.

Edited by WallyNDiane

We did the self guided audio tour in November. We too spent about three hours but could have stayed longer if not for our lunch reservations. We didn’t get to visit much of the museum in the basement. 

We had 10 am tickets and by the time we left the sanctuary was getting very crowded.  We are back next month to take my DMILand have booked the guided tour for 9 am hoping to have the place to ourselves for at least a little bit. I will try to come back and post which tour we liked the best. 

For both purchases we booked directly with the Sagrada, it is easy to get to a site that sounds official If you use a search engine. Here is where we booked:https://sagradafamilia.org/en/home

As the previous poster mentioned they open the ticket window 2-3 months ahead but there seems to be little rhyme or reason to when exactly.  We bought our November tickets in mid August but couldn’t buy or April tickets until early February. So I suggest you bookmark the site and check it every day or three starting about three months before you want to go. 

Have a great visit-it is AMAZING!

Posted (edited)

We purchased our tickets directly on their website about a month before our visit (we were there last November so it may have been "low season" and availability on the website was wide open). I purchased basic admission tickets for 9:30am. I can explore for hours, but unfortunately my wife is more of a "walk in, been there, lets go" kind of person and doesn't have the patience to move at a guided pace. 

When we arrived, there were zero lines, and upon entering the Basilica, there weren't many other tourists inside. We walked around at our leisure,  uncrowded. Even at our "less than slow" pace, we still spent about an hour inside the Basilica. After that, we went across the park and had a light lunch at a restaurant that I had pre-selected. We then walked back towards the Basilica to find a taxi to take us to our next stop. By then, lines to get in had grown, and there were several large guided tour groups waiting as well.

So my recommendation is that you purchase your tickets for an early admission in order to avoid the crowds that do show up later in the day. 

Edited by Tapi

I used the audioguide and was more than happy.    I found a lot of "oh I just want to sit here and take in the colours and lights" moments which I suppose with a live guide I would not have been able to do.  My husband never wants any sort of guide and had gone for a walk after about 15 minutes but I have given up on him.

The advice to arrive early and explore the outside of the basilica is good.  It is absolutely amazing.  

Waiting "im"patiently for August to open up in a couple days. Did I read somewhere that if you choose the audio guide and one tower, you get to choose which tower to tour? Those that have been to both towers, which one do you recommend? We plan on going the morning of embarkation (9:30) as we will be arriving a few days early in Barcelona and the hotel has lockers to hold our luggage. Then we can head over to the ship for a smooth embarkation after the morning rush. 😊

18 hours ago, erby2283 said:

Waiting "im"patiently for August to open up in a couple days. Did I read somewhere that if you choose the audio guide and one tower, you get to choose which tower to tour? Those that have been to both towers, which one do you recommend? We plan on going the morning of embarkation (9:30) as we will be arriving a few days early in Barcelona and the hotel has lockers to hold our luggage. Then we can head over to the ship for a smooth embarkation after the morning rush. 😊

Yes you can chose which tower- we chose Nativity. Will be there Saturday morning 😊

59 minutes ago, kittinfeld1966 said:

Yes you can chose which tower- we chose Nativity. Will be there Saturday morning 😊

Have a wonderful time! Let me know what you think about the tower.

We were also pleased with the audio guide and spent about 2 hours exploring - we also arrived early before the hordes arrived. When we left, the queue to enter was huge.

On 3/3/2019 at 1:53 PM, WallyNDiane said:

Thanks for the replies.

We did the guided tour. We spent over 3 hours at the church. After the guided tour was over, we spent additional time in the church. Before the tour, spend time outside the church and in the small park across the street that allows for great views of the church.

Our tour was at 5:30 pm and the late afternoon sun magically lit the church through the orange/red stained glass windows. The stained glass show was a treat and something you don't see on European churches.

We took the metro over from our hotel so transportation timing was not an issue.

Great experience - perhaps the effect of the stained glass reflections breaking down into the rainbow seemed "magical" as you say,  and indeed it is, but it was absolutely planned for by the architect Gaudi.

P1080776.JPG