Bringing Flowers On Board?

musicismylife

1 hour ago, Lido deck main said:

Hi,

Just don’t get them x-rayed, it will kill them (or drastically shorten their life)  Hold them in your hand when you go through the security clearance.

Mary

Just wondering, wouldn't fresh flowers that are shipped from other countries to the U.S. by air be x-rayed like almost everything else that goes into an airplane?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lido deck main said:

Hi,

Just don’t get them x-rayed, it will kill them (or drastically shorten their life)  Hold them in your hand when you go through the security clearance.

Mary

5 hours ago, HamOp said:

Just wondering, wouldn't fresh flowers that are shipped from other countries to the U.S. by air be x-rayed like almost everything else that goes into an airplane?

Maybe they give each flower a little lead apron before x-raying them. 😇

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Lido deck main said:

Hi,

Mary

Any time I have brought flowers on board, the security officer has either taken them, given them the once over or they have told me to carry them through the scanner.  They have never gone through the X-ray.

I brought flowers on without anyone questioning it in Hawaii (Hilo). $6 for an arrangement that would easily cost $50 anywhere else. A lady was selling arrangements at the farmer's market in town. They were still going strong when we got back to the mainland so we gave them to our favorite bartender. My understanding is that they're fine to bring on, but you can't bring them off when you return to the mainland.

9 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

How about in Amsterdam? Has anyone brought flowers on board? Isn’t there a flower market?

There is a lovely flower market in Amsterdam.  We got off there but I know CC friends who were staying on and did take flowers on the ship.  They asked in advance and were told no problem.

I've brought flowers on in different European ports and never had a problem 🙂 

And for those passengers who don't want the hassle of carting their own flowers onboard, HAL has a wonderful selection of beautifully-arranged bouquets (delivered right to your stateroom) ranging in price from $30 to $110 - very reasonable IMO. 

4 hours ago, kazu said:

There is a lovely flower market in Amsterdam.  We got off there but I know CC friends who were staying on and did take flowers on the ship.  They asked in advance and were told no problem.

I've brought flowers on in different European ports and never had a problem 🙂 

Would that be the floating flower market I've heard about?  I'm hoping to do this in Amsterdam too.

6 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Would that be the floating flower market I've heard about?  I'm hoping to do this in Amsterdam too.

You’ve got me intrigued.....

We have not yet been and I’m just starting my research.....

3 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Yes it is.  It's on the way to the Anne Frank House, actually (at least fom our hotel it was).

They have an amazing variety of flowers as well as cheeses.

2 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

You’ve got me intrigued.....

We have not yet been and I’m just starting my research.....

Just now, kazu said:

Yes it is.  It's on the way to the Anne Frank House, actually (at least fom our hotel it was).

They have an amazing variety of flowers as well as cheeses.

Oh boy!  I will definitely do this.  🙂  https://www.amsterdam.info/shopping/flowermarket/ 

2 hours ago, avian777 said:

And for those passengers who don't want the hassle of carting their own flowers onboard, HAL has a wonderful selection of beautifully-arranged bouquets (delivered right to your stateroom) ranging in price from $30 to $110 - very reasonable IMO. 

I didn’t consider it a hassle to carry my flowers onboard.

My tulip bouquet was 6.99 at Publix. 

Fwiw I have bought on the  ship before, I like Publix better.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Oh boy!  I will definitely do this.  🙂  https://www.amsterdam.info/shopping/flowermarket/ 

I totally confess, I resisted temptation on the way but when DH and I saw it was still open, we went back and I bought gorgeous flowers, made little bouquets and my friends and I each had on in our hotel room.

I love finding different flowers that we don't have or can't get here. 😄 

8 minutes ago, kazu said:

I totally confess, I resisted temptation on the way but when DH and I saw it was still open, we went back and I bought gorgeous flowers, made little bouquets and my friends and I each had on in our hotel room.

I love finding different flowers that we don't have or can't get here. 😄 

So do I.  And we'll be in Amsterdam twice (doing several back-to-backs) in the fall.  I've also started a list of flower markets in our other ports. 😄

4 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

@Cruising-along @kazu

Thank you!

I’m adding it to our list for Amsterdam. Am working on planning today. Funny thing- I just ran a photography related errand and the gentleman who waited on me was Dutch. Got some advice from him too!

• Like 1