"Pocketable", travel camera suggestions 2019

plettza

I come from a DSLR background with a Canon 7D and a 5D Mark III.  I've got plenty of lenses both for EF and EF-S mount.  I don't plan on getting rid of these.*

However, I've noticed on cruises, I seem to leave the cameras in my cabin because I don't want to lug around a large camera and lens especially when my back pack is already full with a towel and so on.  I do leave my camera in the backpack at the beach say on Ilse of Pines or Maré whilst I've gone for a swim.  I've never had anything ripped off but I wanted something a little more compact and I've been doing a bit of research.  I was hoping to get some suggestions from the crew here.  There's a lot of post but they date back some time and a lot of the cameras have been superseded. 

Here's what it needs to have:

• Ability to shoot raw
  • Have a good, long zoom range
  • Relatively compact
  • Flash
  • Good low light performance
  • Excellent image quality (sharpness, colour, noise)
  • Good shutter speed (anticipating being in the sun)
  • Viewfinder
  • IBIS/optical stabiliser

Here's what I would like to have as well:

• Built-in GPS (if I'm travelling, it's handy to know the location of the photos)
  • Really excellent battery life AND/OR USB charging
  • Good, sharp flippy screen for taking selfies
  • APS-C

Here's what is not a determinant:

• Microphone inputs
  • Video-heavy features (I won't be doing much if any video vlogging and so on)
  • high FPS continuous drive

Budget: Around $1000AUD but will go higher for a compelling camera

I'm open to built-in lens cameras such as the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 VI or smaller interchangeable lens systems like the A6400.  I want to stay away from micro 4/3s.

I'm open to almost any brand.

I've read a couple of the buying guides but a lot of the cameras listed do not have GPS.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

* These cameras are perfectly fine for the style of photography I normally do such as portraiture, landscape,  events, etc. and will continue to be my preferred system for this.

Edited by plettza
  • Like 1

Sony RX100 VI.

Compelling and pocketable.

GPS is losing popularity since most people just disable it for privacy reasons. Never used it. Never missed it.

In the APS-C world. The A6400 is an excellent choice unless you want in-body stabilization to take full advantage of some of the small manual lenses available. If do, the A6500 is an excellent option (giving up the flippy screen).

I have shot with the A6000 and A6300 cameras for the last five years and the NEX-7 before that. They proved fatal to my DSLR. 🙂

Dave

Edited by pierces

Thanks for the advice. I am looking at the Sony RX. If I were to buy a 6x00, I doubt I'd buy many lenses for it. Maybe just a general, all round lens. 

I like GPS as when I import into Lightroom, I get the map showing the location of my snaps. 

In any case, I think I'll head to a store and see what the cameras are like in real life size. 

The absolute best pocketable camera you can get is a Iphone Xr.... or Google Pixel, etc.

You don't get much zoom range, but you get everything else and it's truly pocketable.

As of 2019, I'm convinced that there isn't any truly pocketable camera that's worth the price over a good phone. Sure, the RX100vii is pocketable, very good quality, and more zoom range. But the image quality isn't going to be significantly better than the best phones, and it's still less convenient than the phone.

Now, a camera like the A6400 with the *right* lenses, is well worth it. BUT, it really is not pocketable. It's small and light. A small bag or even fanny pack, and you may be good to go. But the *right* lenses is an important caveat. Put on the cheap Sony 16-50, your basically back to phone-level image quality. A camera like the A6400 can truly shine with prime lenses. Keeps the entire camera body small, throw a couple of primes into a small bag, and be ready to go. I haven't personally tested it, but I have heard the 18-135 is a half-decent zoom lens, if you must go in that direction. Sony doesn't have any truly good compact aps-c telephoto lenses -- the 55-210 is rather poor for any demanding photographer. (It's fine for casual snapshooter).  

My ideal Sony A6400 kit, particularly for cruising:

10-18 (the best aps-c zoom Sony has, a very very good ultrawide, and I love ultrawide when traveling. Also a fairly compact lens)

35/1.8 -- (very good prime at a reasonable price)

50/1.8 -(another very good prime at a reasonable price)

And if you need some reach, the 70-200/4. Very high quality telephoto lens. Unfortunately, it's a full frame lens and not exactly compact. It's not massive, but definitely moves you out of the "small bag" into a full camera bag set-up.

More A6400 recommendations here:

https://enthusiastphotoblog.com/2019/01/17/recommended-sony-a6400-lenses-and-accessories/

I really would like the offered zoom range.  I currently have a Sony Xperia XZ Premium which takes really nice, in fact awesome snaps and if I could get by with that, I would.  But I've been on shore excursions with just the phone and needed a lot of extra reach.

When I do take my 5D or 7D ashore, it's often a pain to carry it in its holster as well as my backpack especially when tendering.

I'm leaning towards the 6400 as you suggest with the 18-135mm but haven't had a chance to handle all the options at the store yet.

On 3/1/2019 at 6:25 AM, plettza said:

Thanks for the advice. I am looking at the Sony RX. If I were to buy a 6x00, I doubt I'd buy many lenses for it. Maybe just a general, all round lens. 

I like GPS as when I import into Lightroom, I get the map showing the location of my snaps.  

Several recent Sony cameras allow linking the camera with a smartphone to provide GPS information for photos.

Honestly if I wanted 'pocketable', I'd go with the Sony RX100 series, with a possible second consideration being the Panasonic LX100 series.  The RX is more pocketable though.

I shoot with a Sony A6300, and love it - it is my primary travel camera - but even with the tiniest pancake lens I wouldn't quite call it 'pocketable'.  I have shot the 1" sensors, and unless you're shooting in very low light and having to crank the ISO to 800 or more, they're very competitive and have excellent IQ.

I have a good phone camera - but I simply wouldn't want to use it for anything except emergency or spur-of-the-moment shots, or when I don't happen to have a camera...for my personal type of photography, fixed focal lengths just don't cut it, so phones are not a match even for a pocketable camera with a smaller sensor and a zoom lens.  I vastly prefer having a zoom, very often require it, and much prefer the ergonomics, dials and buttons, and physical interaction of a dedicated camera over a phone.  Others seem to be enamored with phone cameras, and if it fits your style of photography and the fixed wide focal lengths can cover your needs, then that's an option to consider.

I agree with the GPS - I don't really think it's needed in cameras anymore, with wifi or bluetooth linking to phones possible on most new cameras, or even buying a small external GPS logger if you really need it and the phone link won't work - so you can time-sync with the camera and GPS tag the images after.

• Like 1

I agree with your assessment and I thought about it the other night and ordered the Rx100 VI. 

I did go and check out the a6400 but the store near me only had the older 6000. I do like that size but the lens on the front just precludes it from being truly pocketable. So I ordered the RX100 and it should arrive today. I got a second battery, the front grip, and a decent SanDisk SD card (95Mb/s).

I watched a couple of YouTube videos on using the Rx100 and the Bluetooth linking will suffice for me. 

I agree with the smartphone sentiments. I've now got the Sony Xperia XZ Premium and I like that it has a camera shutter button. I used to use a Microsoft Lumia 950 XL which I think took better photos. It too had a shutter button but it also had a triple flash and optical stabiliser. Its images back in 2015 put even newer phones' images to shame. 

Pity Microsoft shafted Windows Phone. 

Great choice!

I was going to also post and say RX100, Mark 4 onwards until i saw the above.

I like to shoot both photos and videos and currently have an Fujifilm X-T2, but for my next adventure I also want to add a DJI Osmo Pocket.

Edited by RobertHemsley

I have been using a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS70S for travel the last year or so. Got great photos on it on a trip to Costa Rica last spring, safari in game parks in South Africa last summer, recently whale watching in San Ignacio Lagoon in Baja, and have taken it on several cruises,  Fits in my fanny pack along with my wallet, and even can put it in my pocket if I have slacks with a pocket. You might want to consider that.

My Sony RX100 VI arrived the other day.  I briefly took it out and played with it and I must say, the images it produces are excellent.  I haven't tested it in all lighting conditions yet and I'm yet to take it on my cruise that's coming up soon.

The issue I have with it is the body design.  It's so small, I find it difficult to get a confident grip on it coming from having only really used a 7D and 5D.  Also, I'm so used to Canon controls, I find myself reaching for controls that aren't there.  Obviously, all this will need time to overcome and to develop muscle memory.

Overall, the size truly is pocketable and the image quality is exceptional.

I can't wait to get onboard my cruise and take it for a real test.

Pocketable definitely comes with some compromises getting used to the tiny body and buttons...but anything with more grip and button space isn't going to really be pocketable anymore!  It's actually amazing what they cram into that tiny body - even a viewfinder.

To help with the menus and control layout, take the time to learn the customization options.  Sony cameras usually allow quite a bit of customization with what to assign to the various buttons, and the Fn or Quick menu to put all the controls you need regular access to in those spots...that way you really don't have to dive into the extensive menus very much if at all.

Within the big menu, you have a section called 'MyMenu', which you can store up to 5 pages of 30 total settings from the larger menu...so once that's set up, between that for the deep settings and the Fn Quick menu for regular every-day settings, it's really all you ever need to access...and it lets you somewhat replicate the controls you want to see that you're used to from your Canon.

On 2/28/2019 at 8:16 PM, plettza said:

I come from a DSLR background with a Canon 7D and a 5D Mark III.  I've got plenty of lenses both for EF and EF-S mount.  I don't plan on getting rid of these.*

However, I've noticed on cruises, I seem to leave the cameras in my cabin because I don't want to lug around a large camera and lens especially when my back pack is already full with a towel and so on.  I do leave my camera in the backpack at the beach say on Ilse of Pines or Maré whilst I've gone for a swim.  I've never had anything ripped off but I wanted something a little more compact and I've been doing a bit of research.  I was hoping to get some suggestions from the crew here.  There's a lot of post but they date back some time and a lot of the cameras have been superseded. 

Here's what it needs to have:

• Ability to shoot raw
  • Have a good, long zoom range
  • Relatively compact
  • Flash
  • Good low light performance
  • Excellent image quality (sharpness, colour, noise)
  • Good shutter speed (anticipating being in the sun)
  • Viewfinder
  • IBIS/optical stabiliser

Here's what I would like to have as well:

• Built-in GPS (if I'm travelling, it's handy to know the location of the photos)
  • Really excellent battery life AND/OR USB charging
  • Good, sharp flippy screen for taking selfies
  • APS-C

Here's what is not a determinant:

• Microphone inputs
  • Video-heavy features (I won't be doing much if any video vlogging and so on)
  • high FPS continuous drive

Budget: Around $1000AUD but will go higher for a compelling camera

I'm open to built-in lens cameras such as the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 VI or smaller interchangeable lens systems like the A6400.  I want to stay away from micro 4/3s.

I'm open to almost any brand.

I've read a couple of the buying guides but a lot of the cameras listed do not have GPS.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

* These cameras are perfectly fine for the style of photography I normally do such as portraiture, landscape,  events, etc. and will continue to be my preferred system for this.

I'd suggest buying a used mirrorless camera. I keep an old Sony NEX-6 as a back-up  for when I don't want to carry my Nikon.

I also came from a DSLR background (Nikon D300, then D7000 - always looking for that elusive portability for traveling light). The D7000 didn't impress me even though I had it longer (from 2011 to last year).

Now I have a Fuji X-T20 with the 18-55 mm kit lens, and so far I like it. I compared it to the Sony A6000 series but didn't care for the interface - the Sony's autofocus was slightly faster in low light, but I'd end up spending more time adjusting the settings between shots because of how the controls are set up. Setup speed is hugely important to me because I primarily do aviation photography, where you have a pretty narrow window to get your shot.

I've heard good things about the RX100 series (and also the comparable Panasonic LX100) though - I'm sure you won't regret your purchase.

Edited by strickerj

Hello,

Thank you for all the information provided in this thread. I am also looking to purchase a travel camera for an upcoming cruise. Between the Panasonic Lx100 and the Sony mentioned in this thread - which has the largest zoom range?

I looked at each model and they seem to be described differently. Thanks so much for your help! Excuse my ignorance on the subject.

Mary

14 minutes ago, maryisme said:

Hello,

Thank you for all the information provided in this thread. I am also looking to purchase a travel camera for an upcoming cruise. Between the Panasonic Lx100 and the Sony mentioned in this thread - which has the largest zoom range?

I looked at each model and they seem to be described differently. Thanks so much for your help! Excuse my ignorance on the subject.

Mary

The LX100 has a 24-75mm equivalent zoom (wide to short telephoto)

The RX100 has several options as Sony maintains them in production to offer options

RX100 Mark  IV & V  24-75mm 

RX100 Mark VI  24-200mm

Dave

11 minutes ago, pierces said:

The LX100 has a 24-75mm equivalent zoom (wide to short telephoto)

The RX100 has several options as Sony maintains them in production to offer options

RX100 Mark  IV & V  24-75mm 

RX100 Mark VI  24-200mm

Dave

Thank you Dave! Now to decide which camera to get. 

Best,

Mary

1 hour ago, maryisme said:

Thank you Dave! Now to decide which camera to get. 

Best,

Mary

One of our regulars, boeckli, picked up the RX100 Mark VI a while ago. You may want to search the forum for some of her recent pictures.

Dave

On 3/21/2019 at 2:04 AM, pierces said:

One of our regulars, boeckli, picked up the RX100 Mark VI a while ago. You may want to search the forum for some of her recent pictures.

Dave

Haven't regretted it Dave (😉). More than 10,000 shots later (incl. three cruises), I still haven't learned everything it could do (and there is most likely lots of room for improvement for me as a photographer ...) but I enjoy using it and its pocketability, which was the main feature for me. Very happy too to have a view-finder which has allowed me to see small details without wearing my reading glasses for the screen.

On 3/16/2019 at 5:09 PM, plettza said:

My Sony RX100 VI arrived the other day.  I briefly took it out and played with it and I must say, the images it produces are excellent.  I haven't tested it in all lighting conditions yet and I'm yet to take it on my cruise that's coming up soon.

The issue I have with it is the body design.  It's so small, I find it difficult to get a confident grip on it coming from having only really used a 7D and 5D.  Also, I'm so used to Canon controls, I find myself reaching for controls that aren't there.  Obviously, all this will need time to overcome and to develop muscle memory.

Overall, the size truly is pocketable and the image quality is exceptional.

I can't wait to get onboard my cruise and take it for a real test.

I had the same exact problem with my RX100 III...I was happy that I finally found a small, pocketable camera but couldn't get a confident grip.......then found this online:

https://www.amazon.com/Attachment-Cyber-shot-Updated-KAKAFOTO-KG-RX100/dp/B07H7J9GC8/ref=sr_1_19?keywords=sony+rx100+grip&qid=1553449476&s=gateway&sr=8-19

I was extremely hesitant to attach anything to my (then relatively new and expensive camera), but I must say it has been one of the best optional equipment for a camera I've ever purchased.  Bottom line: It gave me a better grip.

• 1 month later...

After taking the Sony on an 8-night cruise to New Caledonia aboard Spirit, I can say the camera pretty much met the brief.  Due to its size, I carried almost everywhere in my pants pocket or suit jacket.  I took it to dinner both to the Empire and Nouveau restaurants, to red Frog, to the Versailles lounge as well as Pharaoh's Palace.  The 200mm reach was well-suited to getting shots from the back of the lounges.  One example was one of the shows in Pharaoh's.  I sat near the back and was able to get pretty close shots of the performers aside from obstructions such as the pillars.  Our Cruise Director Chloe had a Q and Awesome session where I sat in the middle section.  Again, I got some tightly-framed shots.  I found that I'd taken over 900 shots over the entire cruise many more than with I had done with my Canon which sat in the room a lot of the time.

It's not perfect, but it met and exceeded my needs.  ISO noise is apparent at 1600.  This can be cleaned up in post but compared to a larger sensor camera such as my 5D, it's to be expected.  Handling takes some getting used to.  I bought the optional grip and attached it which completely improves the handling.

There's no microphone or headphone plugs and whilst I didn't think I'd do any video, the flippy LCD screen of the camera prompted me to buy a Rode lav mic before the cruise and give it a go.  I just recorded to my Xperia phone.  This overall wasn't a big deal.

Battery life is near appalling.  The deal I got from the shop was an additional battery plus I bought the optional Sony battery charger which is a sleeve that covers the battery and one can use a USB cable to charge it rather than charging through the camera itself.  The batteries are small enough that I can carry a second on shore and shoot for the day. 

Optically, it's impressive.  I found there's a fair bit vignetting before correction but any decent piece of software corrects it adequately.

Coming from a DSLR, using fancy things like face detection and so on is new to me so I'm still learning how to incorporate those features into my shooting.  Due to its form factor, there simply isn't enough room for more buttons so I have to rely on customised buttons and try and remember what button does what.

One thing reviewers found was the dioptre kept moving when the pop-up viewfinder was lifted and lowered.  This behaviour was not exhibited on my unit presumably because Sony revised the design.  I raised and lowered the VF about 25 times in succession and it didn't move a bit.

The flash recycle rate is extremely slow.  Coming from cameras where I use Elinchrom strobes or Canon flashes that recycle extremely quickly, the Sony's recycle rate was about 6 seconds at least.  Trying to get a few shots off with the flash was difficult.  I do like how the flash can be angled up and I found this gave better lighting for portraits.

Overall, I found the camera is a little pricey but I love it and will most likely take it every cruise.  As some posters here have suggested, the a6400 is great and when I save up some cash, I might get that as well.  I just find carrying a 5D Mark III and a 24-105mm too cumbersome.

The fact this camera got me shooting at every opportunity is worth the price.

Thanks to everyone' suggestions and opinions here.  If I get time, I might post some snaps here.

• Like 1