RE: MSC drink packages

deltacharlie58

My wife and I will be going on an MSC cruise of the western Mediterranean in October. We are looking at each getting an alcohol package, and understand that all occupants sharing a cabin must have the same package.

Importantly, everyone occupying the same cabin, or travelling together and dining at the same table, must each buy the same drinks package, including children aged three years old or above.

Two friends of ours are coming with us on this cruise and are staying in a separate cabin. They have decided they will go al a'carte when it comes to alcoholic drinks.

It states in the MSC drink package rules that if our friends are seated at our table for dinner, that they are required to have a drink package as well.

Is this true? Am I reading this correctly??

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't worry, we had no problem with our friends that didn't have the drink package.  It may be the most ridiculous statement MSC has put out there.  They may as well tell you that you can't sit with them at the pool either.  That is where you would really be sharing drinks. 

• 2 weeks later...

Personally,  I think that's ridiculous. Some ppl don't drink at all. I drink, mom doesn't but they would require us to have same package if in same cabin. The cruise lines need to go back to pre paid cards which has a limited number of drinks you could get. (I.e. 20 cocktails or glasses of wine or espresso drinks) those were awesome!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AerynSun_JohnCrighton said:

Personally,  I think that's ridiculous. Some ppl don't drink at all. I drink, mom doesn't but they would require us to have same package if in same cabin. The cruise lines need to go back to pre paid cards which has a limited number of drinks you could get. (I.e. 20 cocktails or glasses of wine or espresso drinks) those were awesome!

We find the drinks packages much better value than the drinks vouchers (the ones that preceded the introduction of the all-inlcusives) so wouldn't like to see the cruise line revert back.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Beamafar said:

We find the drinks packages much better value than the drinks vouchers (the ones that preceded the introduction of the all-inlcusives) so wouldn't like to see the cruise line revert back.

I wasn't talking about that. This was a card you could buy. Forget which line did it. It's not fair to make everyone pay for package when some ppl don't drink at all. Waste of money. I'd buy the package for myself but it doesn't work that way. Oh well... their loss. I'm sure I'll spend less buying as I go.

5 minutes ago, AerynSun_JohnCrighton said:

I wasn't talking about that. This was a card you could buy. Forget which line did it. It's not fair to make everyone pay for package when some ppl don't drink at all. Waste of money. I'd buy the package for myself but it doesn't work that way. Oh well... their loss. I'm sure I'll spend less buying as I go.

You said "the cruiselines need to go back .... " on an MSC forum.  MSC never had those "cards" to begin with!  Anything on "other lines" isn't the subject - "MSC drinks packages" is the thread title.

Before offering 12 vouchers for Fantasia they used to have various packages that served our family well since we don't really drink soda, I am a beer drinker, kids mostly want shakes & ice cream, and wife gets coffee.  Cruise is to have relaxing time and some drinks but I am not there to drink myself to death, so in my case vouchers did wonders as I typically pay as go and spent 1/4 of drink package worth.

- More for Less Escape Pass: 18 vouchers for beer, wine, cocktails, ice cream : $84 (2017 price)

- Bottle beer package: 14 bottles/can beer :$57

- Doremi Package: 10 milk shakes, smoothies, vir cocktails, Soda, Juice, ice cream: $31

- Coffee Cuddle: 15 Latte, espresso, frozen coffee drinks, various specialty coffee: $28

• Like 1