Edge activities on Pacific Explorer

I am taking my 10 year old grandson on a short - 4 night cruise in 89 days.  He is a bit of a daredevil so yesterday at the 90 day mark I purchased a Gold VIP Edge pass for him.  However I cannot see how to pre-book the activities.  The website says you can pre-book two per day and then access others on board "as available"

I did an online chat with P and O and was told that you can only "pre-book" when on board.  This seems ridiculous as the whole point of pre-booking is to plan ahead and save waiting in queues - we prebook dining and other packages on line so I am not sure why this is different - I realise P and O don't actually conduct Edge activities but have contractors but surely that should not be a problem.  I also realise that some of the activities are weather dependent but that should not mean that you can't make bookings that could be moved or substituted in order of booking.

Has anyone got any advice for me on how to get the best Edge experience for my young companion or do I just have to face up to waiting in line once we get on board - and what actually then was the benefit of pre-purchasing the pass.  

No, you on the first day you go up to the Edge and Pre-book for a few days in advance and then continue that whenever you go up for an activity. Also if you would like to do more ask about availability while your up there as they may allow you do more where there is availability.