Perks or benefits to booking a mini suite

Uniqeni

We're going to be sailing on The encore in 2020 and seems that there is a good deal on mini-suites and I've already got a balcony room and squishing four of us in there I'm wondering if there's any perks to booking the mini suite instead of the balcony. Would you have to go to a full size suite and Haven to get special access to places. I typically sale Royal Caribbean and there are no real extra benefits to booking a junior suite on that line

There are no additional perks for a mini-suite on NCL.  You do get a wonderful shower and expanded bathroom. The cabin and balcony are basically the same size as a standard balcony cabin. But no other advantages to speak of.  

3 minutes ago, roger001 said:

Wish NCL would take quit calling them mini "suites".  They are just a deluxe balcony room...at best.  

Yeah the first and only time I had a minisuite, it was such a dissapointment walking into the room with anticipation and then getting nothing, notta. bummer.  Worst part was I paid more for it 

On the Jewel class, we do like the mini suites, even if they are not suites at all.  On the Breakaway class, practically no difference from a regular balcony cabin, except the bathroom.  Cabin size is only very slightly bigger.  

5 minutes ago, RedRover96 said:

However with the larger bathroom with 4 people it might be worth it!  

That doesn't imply that all 4 people can use the bath at the same time just because it is larger !

For real convenience and comfort the 2 BR suite with separate bath/shower/commode is the answer !

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

That doesn't imply that all 4 people can use the bath at the same time just because it is larger !

For real convenience and comfort the 2 BR suite with separate bath/shower/commode is the answer !

I agree 2 bedroom was life changing for us however bedroom #2 is tiny (fine w kids though) its the second bathroom that was amazing! Some sailings it is not too bad of an upgrade others price jump from mini suite is more than double. 

1 minute ago, LROBERT said:

I agree 2 bedroom was life changing for us however bedroom #2 is tiny (fine w kids though) its the second bathroom that was amazing! Some sailings it is not too bad of an upgrade others price jump from mini suite is more than double. 

Consider the convertible couch in the main room of the 2BR for sleeping yet having that 2nd bathroom is a PLUS +++ !

3 hours ago, Uniqeni said:

We're going to be sailing on The encore in 2020 and seems that there is a good deal on mini-suites and I've already got a balcony room and squishing four of us in there I'm wondering if there's any perks to booking the mini suite instead of the balcony. Would you have to go to a full size suite and Haven to get special access to places. I typically sale Royal Caribbean and there are no real extra benefits to booking a junior suite on that line

The only difference between a balcony and a mini suite is the size of the bathroom.

14 minutes ago, zqvol said:

The only difference between a balcony and a mini suite is the size of the bathroom.

You could picture the balcony cabins bathroom with a shower telephone booth size (superman special) 9 square feet

and the aka Deluxe Balcony (mini-suite) with an additional 9 square feet making space for the bath tub.

ONLY on the SUN are the mini-suites something to write home about.

NCL needs to VOID out that term mini-SUITE !

The mini-suite does NOT have any of the service features of a full Suite - Concierge Butler and other priorities !

About the only good thing that can be commented on for the mini-suite is location - never an inside ocean view

or obstructed view !

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

About the only good thing that can be commented on for the mini-suite is location - never an inside ocean view

or obstructed view 

On the Jewel-class ships, I don't consider the mini-suites to be in desirable locations; so many of them are under noisy public spaces, including the pool deck, the fitness center, and the buffet.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Uniqeni said:

The balcony and mini suite are the same size room. Just a little bigger bathroom. No other perks. 

On RCCL, on a similar size ship, you would get suite checkin price and access to Coastal Kitchen for dinner. 

7 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

You could picture the balcony cabins bathroom with a shower telephone booth size (superman special) 9 square feet

and the aka Deluxe Balcony (mini-suite) with an additional 9 square feet making space for the bath tub.

Ok we have a mini-suite booked on the Sun. Please tell me all about it.:classic_smile: 

8 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Boy howdy is that true! It was our first mini-suite and back then you also had the services of the concierge and a special room service menu! Next ship was the Star and ... oops! It does have the same bathroom module as the Penthouse Suite, however. 

14 minutes ago, Lorey2007 said:

Ok we have a mini-suite booked on the Sun. Please tell me all about it.:classic_smile: 

What is your cabin number ?

I was in 1010 (pool deck 11)  have photos of that - here is a YouTube Video of 1210 (mirror image):

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/youtube.php?id=1667

The basic difference is all in the walk-in closet storage space bath vanity shower tub and commode.

About 20% more space than a balcony.

The Main cabin room with the bed is the same as any other balcony.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

What is your cabin number ?

I was in 1010 (pool deck 11)  have photos of that - here is a YouTube Video of 1210 (mirror image):

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/youtube.php?id=1667

The basic difference is all in the walk-in closet storage space bath vanity shower tub and commode.

About 20% more space than a balcony.

The Main cabin room with the bed is the same as any other balcony.

Thank you we'll be in cabin 1012. Were you on the Sun after the drydock? Did any perks come with the mini?

4 minutes ago, Lorey2007 said:

Thank you we'll be in cabin 1012. Were you on the Sun after the drydock? Did any perks come with the mini?

Sailed July '13 Whittier (Anchorage) Alaska to Vancouver BC all this pre-dry-dock -

that big bulky CRT TV no doubt has been replaced with a flat screen.

The Mini-suites do not have any perks more than a balcony or what promos perks your fare is based on.

Do not confuse a mini-suite with the real SUITE which has a Butler and Concierge and priority features.

3 hours ago, Lorey2007 said:

Many of the previous 20 posts list the perks available for the mini. 

2 hours ago, esm54687 said:

Many of the previous 20 posts list the perks available for the mini. 

There are no perks for mini-suites.  They aren’t suites— no butler or concierge, no breakfast or lunch in a special dining area.  They are treated the same as regular balconies when it comes to perks.  They may have some physical differences that make them more desirable to some people than a regular balcony, but those aren’t perks as that term is used when discussing suite perks. 

I always thought NCL "Mini Suites" are pure marketing gimmicks.  I don't know about the Sun but most of the modern fleet there is not much of a difference for the price increase.  Yes the bathroom sink and shower are a bit bigger.  But the balcony and room are the same size.  IMHO these tiny details don't justify the hundreds of dollars increase.  I would rather spend that money on dining or excursions.  If the mini suite came with a balcony with loungers or had a pull out sofa with 50 more sq, then it would be worth it.

IMHO there is a reason why NCL does not change the name from Mini suite.  Its making the customer feel they are getting some big upgrade when its not really the case.