Please help---I think I may have unknowingly made a big mistake.

Recently we made reservations for an inside room on the Indy.  We have never stayed in an inside room.  We looked for inside staterooms and on the list there happened to be a cabin that was assessable listed with the others.  Our agent booked it for us.  

Really didn't think about it much.  I figured if it was offered this late and by an agent it was probably a not needed.

Now I read on the RC site that we have booked it fraudulently.  I called RC and the agent who, was not pleasant, said when we arrived at the pier without a wheelchair, we would be removed from the room and placed somewhere else.  He added it would probably be somewhere we wouldn't want to be.

This was an honest, stupid mistake and I am trying to rectify it.

Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing.  Please don't beat me up, I feel terrible.  I just recovered from a hip replacement and I understand how someone might feel.

11 minutes ago, TinkBellaMom said:

Recently we made reservations for an inside room on the Indy.  We have never stayed in an inside room.  We looked for inside staterooms and on the list there happened to be a cabin that was assessable listed with the others.  Our agent booked it for us.  

Really didn't think about it much.  I figured if it was offered this late and by an agent it was probably a not needed.

Now I read on the RC site that we have booked it fraudulently.  I called RC and the agent who, was not pleasant, said when we arrived at the pier without a wheelchair, we would be removed from the room and placed somewhere else.  He added it would probably be somewhere we wouldn't want to be.

This was an honest, stupid mistake and I am trying to rectify it.

Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing.  Please don't beat me up, I feel terrible.  I just recovered from a hip replacement and I understand how someone might feel.

Where are you seeing that you booked the cabin fraudulently?  The rep you spoke to is way out of line.  If you don't need the accessible cabin, have them move you.  If you booked with a travel agent, contact them and have them get you a different cabin, if one is available.

10 minutes ago, Grenouille21 said:

Maybe I am not understanding, but can't you just change your reservation to a different stateroom?

The Op is not.  The Op is concerned as to what the RCL agent said:  "when we arrived at the pier without a wheelchair, we would be removed from the room and placed somewhere else.  He added it would probably be somewhere we wouldn't want to be."

5 minutes ago, nelblu said:

The Op is not.  The Op is concerned as to what the RCL agent said:  "when we arrived at the pier without a wheelchair, we would be removed from the room and placed somewhere else.  He added it would probably be somewhere we wouldn't want to be."

I still don't get it.  Why can't they change staterooms before they sail?  Their sail date is in April.  

First you don't need a wheelchair to book an accessible cabin. Rccl agent was very narrow minded. 

I booked one for mom and dad in law. Mom had had a knee replacement, and will use a cane. So she has mobility issues. Not wheelchair bound. 

Me i book hotel rooms, accessible. I have arthritis in my knees. And sometimes tubs are high. The bars are so helpful. Also i will wait for a handicap stall, some seats are to low for my knees. I havent had any trouble yet myself with cruise rooms. 

• Like 5

With your recent history of a hip replacement, amenities in the bathroom would suit you- a larger shower to maneuver, grab bars in the shower, and a raised toilet. I would ignore the comments of the RCCL rep, your TA would not have been able to book the room unless you met the criteria for a accessible room.

Thank You Everyone!  I can't get ahold of my agent until Mon.  The cabin we booked is on deck 9, and now the cabins available are lower.  We prefer to be up a bit higher.

I realize now that I do use the grab bars in the shower and a raised seat on the toilet is helpful, I have those aids in my home.

I will get in touch with agent on Mon and see if I need to bring something from my Dr.  There is a form on the RC website and a statement regarding booking a Accessible room fraudulently.

44 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Where are you seeing that you booked the cabin fraudulently?  The rep you spoke to is way out of line.  If you don't need the accessible cabin, have them move you.  If you booked with a travel agent, contact them and have them get you a different cabin, if one is available.

This what I saw on the RC website.

Accessible staterooms are held for people with disabilities until all other non-accessible staterooms in that category are reserved. Upon reserving an accessible stateroom, we require our guests acknowledge the need for the accessible stateroom by completing a Guest Special Needs Form. 

If a guest is booked in an accessible stateroom and they do not have a mobility disability or other disability that requires the use of the features that are provided in the accessible stateroom, they may be moved at any time to another non-accessible stateroom in order to accommodate a guest with a disability. 

Please note we investigate and take action on potential misuse of accessible staterooms where there is good cause to believe that such staterooms have been booked fraudulently. 

36 minutes ago, Grenouille21 said:

I still don't get it.  Why can't they change staterooms before they sail?  Their sail date is in April.  

That is why it was recommended to contact the TA.

Oh NOW I get it, you would definitely benefit from having an accessible room but you were told you had to be in a wheel chair to use the accessible room.  I totally missed the hip replacement part of your original post and thought you had just booked it because it was in a better location or something.  I apologize, I have had the week from you know where and my reading comprehension skills are clearly lacking at this moment!

11 minutes ago, TinkBellaMom said:

There is a form on the RC website and a statement regarding booking a Accessible room fraudulently.

In my experience, they've been great to work with.  Fill out the form, and the Special Needs desk will reply via email in a couple of days.  That and enjoying your cruise should be all that you have to do!

--bruce T.

There are many reasons to need an accessible cabin and needing a wheel chair is only one of the many. If you are recently off of a hip replacement an accessible bathroom could be very beneficial for you.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TinkBellaMom said:

This what I saw on the RC website.

Accessible staterooms are held for people with disabilities until all other non-accessible staterooms in that category are reserved. Upon reserving an accessible stateroom, we require our guests acknowledge the need for the accessible stateroom by completing a Guest Special Needs Form. 

If a guest is booked in an accessible stateroom and they do not have a mobility disability or other disability that requires the use of the features that are provided in the accessible stateroom, they may be moved at any time to another non-accessible stateroom in order to accommodate a guest with a disability. 

Please note we investigate and take action on potential misuse of accessible staterooms where there is good cause to believe that such staterooms have been booked fraudulently. 

You clearly would benefit from the accessible features of your cabin since you just had a hip replacement.  The rep you spoke to clearly does not know what he is talking about as many people have disabilities and are not in wheelchairs.  I would fill out the form and then touch base with your travel agent on Monday to make sure the rep didn't do anything to your reservation.

1 hour ago, suesnake2002 said:

First you don't need a wheelchair to book an accessible cabin. Rccl agent was very narrow minded. 

I booked one for mom and dad in law. Mom had had a knee replacement, and will use a cane. So she has mobility issues. Not wheelchair bound. 

Me i book hotel rooms, accessible. I have arthritis in my knees. And sometimes tubs are high. The bars are so helpful. Also i will wait for a handicap stall, some seats are to low for my knees. I havent had any trouble yet myself with cruise rooms. 

Ah, taking these tidbits as I also have arthritis in my knees and recently had knee surgery as well and somedays those toilet seats are painfully low!  I didn't even think of waiting for the handicap stall or about the bars, those are so helpful!

To OP, agreed, if it was available to book you should be fine but double check with your TA to ensure they didn't mark you as handicap HOWEVER one doesn't need a wheelchair to be handicapped or need the additional space as others have stated!

• Like 1

If the cabin was available for open booking, you're fine.  Stop worrying.  No one checks...it might be illegal to inquire about a 'disability"...

You will not be moved.  No worries.

If you WANT to change to another cabin, call whoever you booked originally with, and have them change it.  This is NOT a big deal.

• Like 1

I booked four able-bodied women in their 30s and 40s in two inside accessible rooms before.  The rooms were opened up / available to the general public as it was after final payment date and they hadn't been needed yet for people with mobility challenges.  

Nobody blinked an eye at check-in or throughout the cruise.  

• Like 1

Fraud would likely involve submitting falsified doctor statement or other deliberate deception. 

if you were able to book without submitting proof of need for accessible cabin then you've done nothing dishonest.  You could be moved to another cabin but it won't be the brig. 😁

• Like 1

Do not fret about it.  They book the accessible rooms to non- handicapped all the time.   In fact, when we were on Oasis in March 2018, we went to Next Cruise to book a cruise on Freedom for Feb 2019.   We wanted a Jr Suite and the only one available was an accessible Jr Suite.   We didn’t want to take it in case someone needed it.  But the Next Cruise person said that it was open to be booked and we should take it.   We figured if it turned out someone needed it, they would contact us to change cabins.   They never contacted  us and we had no problem when we got on the ship.  It was a great cabin.   

• Like 1

I do not have any experience with accesible rooms and would defer to what others have said.  Assuming you want to stay in the room that you booked, I personally would complete the online form showing that you would benefit from the accessibility features.  That would make me feel comfortable that they would not move me to a different room because someone else needs the room at the last minute.

You qualify for the room.  Complete the form on line or call special needs.  Due to hip replacement surgery and spinal surgery I can not use the tubs on Royal ships and would love to have a shower instead.  Enjoy your room and most of all enjoy your cruise.

Please don’t feel bad; you made a simple mistake! Plus, like you’ve figured out, the benefits are ones you actually really do need. If someone with greater needs comes along, they may move you, but you won’t get in trouble. If I were you, I’d go ahead and fill out the form, so they know your needs. Enjoy your cruise!