Alaska in August

Grammeee2003

Wondering what to pack?

Winter coat-  What brand? Waterproof? Down? 

Pants - Jeans? Ski pants?

Boots or hiking shoes for glaciers?

Clothes to wear on ship? Excursions? formal night?

What are clothing MUST HAVES?

Any suggestions would be extremely helpful 

• Like 1

The last time we were in July, so a bit earlier, and the first week was overcast and we needed jeans, jackets, etc. The second week it was in the high 70s and we needed no jeans or jackets. It's such a toss-up what you are going to need. In the glaciers it is colder and you may want the heavier jacket. On ship, or at least on HAL and Princess, daytime wear is casual - jeans, shirts, capris, shorts, etc. Dinner in the dining room is smart casual and gala evenings are somewhat dressier. My must haves are one heavier jacket or waterproof one, lots of layers, hiking shoes (don't bother with boots), jeans, and dressier pants and tops. 

Karen

• Like 1

Alaska's weather is changeable and unpredictable.  The best strategy is layers.  I would say not to take a winter coat, but instead take 3-4 lighter layers you can wear at the same time and peel off if it gets too warm.  One of those should certainly be waterproof, though I've done several rainy Alaskan hikes with just a good-quality emergency poncho as my waterproof layer.  Stupid-looking but effective.  Here's an example of a very wet trail:  https://www.melindabrasher.com/2017/02/deer-mountain-trail-ketchikan-alaska.html

YES take hiking boots or good walking shoes.  Are you planning to actually hike on a glacier?  Awesome.  Otherwise, if you like hiking, there are many fantastic trails.  I recommend two pairs of shoes because one will likely get wet. 

I think ski pants might be overkill, but if you have a cold snap, if you get cold easily, or if you spend a lot of time on deck on glacier sailing day (which I HIGHLY recommend), you might want some sort of second layer over or under your pants.  Possibilities:  long underwear or leggings/exercise pants that fit underneath your regular pants.     

• Like 1

Layers   as mentioned,   no winter coats.  sweatshirt.   I do NOT take any hiking boots and always hike in several areas.  I am not rock climbing etc,  but taking established trails.   I have never had the need for bulky hiking boots and do just fine with walking shoes.     Knit hat and gloves,  I've never worn shorts and don't like jeans because,   in August,  rain is common and jeans tend to get and stay damp. bulky as well.  

• Like 1

Thank you for this question!  I am traveling in August as well. I have purchased a lightweight Eddie Bauer down jacket that folds into itself ,as well as some fleece (Good sales this time of year!).  I will bring compression leggings for under jeans as well as gloves and a hat.  This is all based on reading these forums.  I am not sure about shorts/capris/tees but i guess should bring some as well.  

My question:  I am Not a hiker but planning to do Mendenhall glacier trail to Nugget falls and I have sneakers.  Do I need to invest in a pair of timberlands or similar?  thanks!

• Like 1

I think you need to consider where you live and check the seasonal average weather temps for each of your ports. We live in MN. What is cold to someone in Florida is very different from what we think.

Last August, we sailed northbound from Vancouver to Seward. In Vancouver, it was in the mid 80s and humid. We were there 3 days and wore shorts with t-shirts or tank tops. After that, we wore layers. Jeans on port days, then a tshirt with a track jacket or fleece (depending on temp), a thin "packable" down coat from Lands End, and a waterproof raincoat over that. We only had drizzle in Icy Strait Point in Juneau, BUT we wore that raincoat as a top layer just about every day in port, and often for most of the day. We only wore good quality tennis shoes and did a reasonable amount of walking/hiking but stayed on established trails. Hiking boots or shoes (or boots for that matter), would have been heavy in our luggage and we didn't need them for the trip and would not use them at home either.

And one tip: try on all your layers at home and make sure they work together!

• Like 1

Shoes:  maybe not hiking boots but make sure the soles have enough grip that you will not slip on wet, muddy surfaces

Pants:  second layer.  I prefer to take rain pants as a top layer as they can be rolled up and carried with you for cold and rain protection.  Much easier to add a layer over your pants than to remove an under layer if it gets cold or rainy.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2019 at 10:31 PM, luvteaching said:

The last time we were in July, so a bit earlier, and the first week was overcast and we needed jeans, jackets, etc. The second week it was in the high 70s and we needed no jeans or jackets. It's such a toss-up what you are going to need. In the glaciers it is colder and you may want the heavier jacket. On ship, or at least on HAL and Princess, daytime wear is casual - jeans, shirts, capris, shorts, etc. Dinner in the dining room is smart casual and gala evenings are somewhat dressier. My must haves are one heavier jacket or waterproof one, lots of layers, hiking shoes (don't bother with boots), jeans, and dressier pants and tops. 

Karen

What is the difference between hiking shoes vs boots. Can you give an example ? 

• Like 1

Shoes:  maybe not hiking boots but make sure the soles have enough grip that you will not slip on wet, muddy surfaces.  Most glacier walking excursions should offer you crampons to wear over your shoes.

Pants:  second layer.  I prefer to take rain pants as a top layer as they can be rolled up and carried with you for cold and rain protection.  Much easier to add a layer over your pants than to remove an under layer if it gets cold or rainy.

Formal night?  more casual these days.  Easy to throw on some shiny bling to go with a long black skirt or pants and fancy top.  Wear the same thing for each Gala/Formal night or switch the bling. 

• Like 1

On 2/25/2019 at 1:33 PM, tahqa said:

There's going to be parts of that route where cell service is non-existent. But the internet package service along that route is also rough with it being at times practically unusable.

Like Biker19 says -- if you can live with just having it in, or near, ports I wouldn't spend the money on the package.

Thank you 

On 3/7/2019 at 5:12 AM, GolfMommy17 said:

Thank you for this question!  I am traveling in August as well. I have purchased a lightweight Eddie Bauer down jacket that folds into itself ,as well as some fleece (Good sales this time of year!).  I will bring compression leggings for under jeans as well as gloves and a hat.  This is all based on reading these forums.  I am not sure about shorts/capris/tees but i guess should bring some as well.  

My question:  I am Not a hiker but planning to do Mendenhall glacier trail to Nugget falls and I have sneakers.  Do I need to invest in a pair of timberlands or similar?  thanks!

The Nugget Falls trail is easy.  No need for hiking boots or expensive shoes.  Sneakers are fine, especially if they still have a bit of tread.

• Like 1