MENS' SANDALS VS SHOES

doubleduty

My husband wants to know -  can he wear sandals instead of shoes in the main dining room?  If yes, does it also apply to gala night? We leave tomorrow;  Caribbean cruise.  He just asked as I was packing his shoes.

As far as I know, the dress code is silent on the matter of shoes, other than something must be on your feet.
Many people have foot problems, and can't wear dress shoes comfortably.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, doubleduty said:

My husband wants to know -  can he wear sandals instead of shoes in the main dining room?  If yes, does it also apply to gala night? We leave tomorrow;  Caribbean cruise.  He just asked as I was packing his shoes.

I don't know whether HAL has a policy on Shoes vs. Sandals, but let me share my personal observations with you.  I have seen men and women wear sandals in the main dining room.  On Gala Night, however, I have not observed men wearing sandals.  I should also mention that I am not an experienced cruiser so you should take my limited observations into consideration.

25 minutes ago, doubleduty said:

Yes....sandals for men are ok in the MDR on any night.    Long pants (no jeans on gala nights) and a collar shirt is all that is required anymore.   

Is this the new formal cruise wear thread? How does me wearing sandals affect your cruise. LoL

I don’t bring shoes because of the airline weight limits.

What about dressy sandals?

Is it ok to wear a robe with shoes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On one HA cruise we were on two years ago, my husband came down with a bad case of gout half way through the cruise.  It was the "dress up" night and he couldn't get his proper dress shoes on, so he had to wear his old sandals, with his suit.  It was not a good look, but he had no choice.  That said, I told him I was walking 6 feet ahead of him (such a sympathetic wife!).   

• Like 1

If I can't be barefoot my shoe preference is flip flops.  There are v-toe socks for flip flops in case it is cold.  V-toe socks are also popular in Japan.   Just another option.  I personally would not even notice what someone was wearing on their feet unless it was covered with bling, or had a noticeably high heel.  I hope op will let us know how her husband does.  Cherie 

1 hour ago, cccole said:

If I can't be barefoot my shoe preference is flip flops.  There are v-toe socks for flip flops in case it is cold.  V-toe socks are also popular in Japan.   Just another option.  I personally would not even notice what someone was wearing on their feet unless it was covered with bling, or had a noticeably high heel.  I hope op will let us know how her husband does.  Cherie 

I'm pretty sure I would notice these..............just sayin' :classic_ohmy:

Related image

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

I'm pretty sure I would notice these..............just sayin' :classic_ohmy:

Related image

Ha, ha...I agree!!!!  In my humble opinion I would rather see a man in sandals than this type of formal attire.  But...whatever floats your boat.   

• Haha 1

On 3/2/2019 at 9:10 AM, OlsSalt said:

Another alternative are the traditional men's velvet dress loafers - lightweight and easy to pack.

Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 9.09.12 AM.png

Salt! LOVE these beyond. Great timeless classic style not only with formal but with dress jeans and jacket. Always on the hunt for multi purpose for Hubs.  Thanks for this!    

Argh- Sandals with socks- I know they are still around- here in Germany one can see them worn with shorts almost only by men born before 1960- the younger generation prefers sneakers.

Well I still don´t understdand why those ugly sandals for men are not forbidden already- kidding- of course. LOL!

On the other hand - when worn with long trousers they are better worn with socks. For some feet it is better to be covered with socks... hmpf!

Edited by Germancruiser
  • Like 3