Windstar newbie with some basic questions.

luvtocook

We will be doing our first Windstar cruise on the Breeze April 7.  We are long time cruisers but unfamiliar with this line.

1. What time can you board?

2.  What kind of laundry prices do they have?

3.  Do they handle disembark luggage the same as the big ships?  Out at night?

4.  Can men wear dress Bermuda's with dress sandals to dinner?

Thanks for any help!

1.  Usually 1:00 p.m.

2.  Reasonable; they offer a weekly package.  You can find the prices on their webpage

3.  You can do this; I just take mine off myself

4.  No shorts in the dining room.  Dress code is country club casual.

1. Usually you can embark from 1 PM up to one hour before departure.

2. The package is currently $16 per day per double occupancy cabin, half that if you are traveling solo.

3. It can vary. On Star Legend recently we could put them out the night before or by some early time (7 AM IIRC) in the morning. On Wind Star recently, they asked that luggage not be put out the night for safety reasons (clogging the narrow halls) and that we put it out in the early morning (again around 7 AM IIRC).  I don't carry off my own suitcase as I prefer not to carry it down the narrow gangway. They handle taking off the luggage efficiently and it is easy to find in the small amount of luggage per tag color.

4. No shorts (which I expect includes Bermuda shorts), jeans, hats, t-shirts or flip flops. Sandals should be fine. 

Thanks to you all for the info!  Sounds like this cruise will be very similar to all of our river cruises.  We actually have a VERY early morning flight home so we will definitely by carrying our own luggage off.  We only need 2 carry ons for this trip.

I read the dining room dress code, but hubby told me to ask just in case.  Not a problem for him.

The $16 per day is that ONLY if you use it that day or do you pay for all 7 days even if you don't use it?

16 minutes ago, luvtocook said:

Thanks to you all for the info!  Sounds like this cruise will be very similar to all of our river cruises.  We actually have a VERY early morning flight home so we will definitely by carrying our own luggage off.  We only need 2 carry ons for this trip.

I read the dining room dress code, but hubby told me to ask just in case.  Not a problem for him.

The $16 per day is that ONLY if you use it that day or do you pay for all 7 days even if you don't use it?

The $16/day is for the duration of the cruise, not just the days that you use it.  We always get the laundry package because they do a great job and it allows us to carry fewer clothes.  If you don't want the package, there is an option to just pay by the item for laundering.  I think $16/day is quite reasonable.

Thanks for your answer.  Yes it is very reasonable and we travel very light also, but usually only send laundry out maybe 2-3 times in a week cruise.  The pay per item might be better for just a 7 nighter.  We usually do at least 14 or more night cruises, but this is our first time trying Windstar.

You do no need to take the laundry package, you can send individual items for washing (no dry cleaning) at prices that are very reasonable. I would be careful though for darker colored items, they tend to wash in hot water and some of my polo shirts came back a bit faded and lighter in color.

Yes, we have had that prob on some of the other cruise ships.  On AMAwaterways river ships though, they will wash in cold water and dry on low if you ask!  They do a fabulous job!!!  Most of our travel clothing is the kind that needs cold wash and low drying.  I wonder if you can write that on the laundry order sheet?????   

Sometimes I can wash things in the sink with travel sheets and hang overnight and they will be dry!

1 minute ago, luvtocook said:

Yes, we have had that prob on some of the other cruise ships.  On AMAwaterways river ships though, they will wash in cold water and dry on low if you ask!  They do a fabulous job!!!  Most of our travel clothing is the kind that needs cold wash and low drying.  I wonder if you can write that on the laundry order sheet?????   

Sometimes I can wash things in the sink with travel sheets and hang overnight and they will be dry!

Yes, you can write special instructions on the order form.

Laundry rocks. We tend to travel before the cruise and fly right home after. So, on embarkation day we put our all our dirty stuff. It come back the next day all clean. Repeat a couple times and then the day before disembarkation.  Pack and we fly home with clean laundry. Worth every penny. Also if you do a back to back it’s free. 

• Like 1

Milepig is right. “The laundry rocks.” We have not checked luggage in 30+ years. We have been traveling solely with WS for 20 years. We travel before the cruise and afterwards. All my clothes are cold water washed, line dry, never has one thing come back damaged, shrunk, discolorec etc. Great service. Happy Sailing. 

• Like 1

On our back2back2back (25 days) last September we had the laundry package. Best thing ever! I wrote on the laundry slip to cold wash and hang dry and every item expect one came back perfect. The one black sleeveless sweater came back just a bit "off" on the black but it's old so it didn't bother me. We got spoiled!

• Like 1