Hope Princess does not begin doing this ...

PekingeseLady

1 minute ago, weedpindle said:

This really has no bearing as to what HAL is implementing. It is a test on four ships only, it will die a quick death just like the MSC brilliant idea of mandatory, no cancelling of gratuities.

Sure it does. It is another step toward charging for entree's.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Grburkart said:

Respectfully, it looks to me like you’re complaining about something that hasn’t happened yet. I don’t think going hungry on a cruise ship is something we’ll have to worry about in the near future. 

Glenn

Obviously the "testing" is already happening.  I dont see that charging you for a second entree would be much different than not allowing you a second meal in the buffet after you have had dinner in the dining room.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Princess is already doing this on the MDR menu with entrees from the Crown Grill....

IMG_2614.JPG

Thanks for posting this.  News to me!

We were NEVER offered this option for dinner on Caribbean Princess in January. 

Is it now being offered on ALL Princess ships?

9 minutes ago, OCruisers said:

Thanks for posting this.  News to me!

We were NEVER offered this option for dinner on Caribbean Princess in January. 

Is it now being offered on ALL Princess ships?

As far as I know yes they are on all ships.

First saw them on the Ruby in March 2017.

Regal and CB within the last 6 months.

They were attached to the menu.......

I found sometimes they don't paperclip these to the inside of the menu.

This idea is not good and there needs to be a large kickback by the cruising pax.  If there is no large number of complaints then it gives a green signal to Princess to try it on their ships.  While I very seldom order two entrees (except lobster), I would be opposed to this new idea of HAL.  If they do impose the fee for second entrees in the MDR what is to stop them from allowing only one trip to the HC? 

I can understand charging for meals from the CG where one already pays an additional fee to eat there and not just for the atmosphere but the higher class of food.  

We all need to raise our voices now to Princess and say no.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

As far as I know yes they are on all ships.

First saw them on the Ruby in March 2017.

Regal and CB within the last 6 months.

They were attached to the menu.......

I found sometimes they don't paperclip these to the inside of the menu.

Thanks ... Hope so.  

Remember this is Holland trying it. Not Princess. You still can get extra in the MDR.

Princess only charges extra if you want the Crown dinner in the MDR. To me if

I wanted the Crown dinner I would go to the Crown.

• Like 2

Just to make sure we’re not blowing smoke here I did a search and it’s fair enough. 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/3803/

The reasoning behind it is to prevent or reduce food waste, according to the article. I can buy into that because some people... I don’t need to finish the sentence. 

I’m a bigger guy and I have the potential of eating more than my share of food. From what I understand, with the several courses at each meal, there should be ample food to sustain life. If the guru’s in charge think a fee for a second entree is in order then I’ll go along with that. No complaints. 

If $10.00 is going to ruin my $26,000 cruise then I need to rethink my vacation choices. 

I’m looking through the culinary options on a cruise ship and they’re plentiful. What are we missing that’s going to stop us from not cruising or changing cruiseline loyalties?

Glenn

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Grburkart said:

Just to make sure we’re not blowing smoke here I did a search and it’s fair enough. 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/3803/

The reasoning behind it is to prevent or reduce food waste, according to the article. I can buy into that because some people... I don’t need to finish the sentence. 

I’m a bigger guy and I have the potential of eating more than my share of food. From what I understand, with the several courses at each meal, there should be ample food to sustain life. If the guru’s in charge think a fee for a second entree is in order then I’ll go along with that. No complaints. 

If $10.00 is going to ruin my $26,000 cruise then I need to rethink my vacation choices. 

I’m looking through the culinary options on a cruise ship and they’re plentiful. What are we missing that’s going to stop us from not cruising or changing cruiseline loyalties?

Glenn

I am ambivalent to the whole thing, (I never order a second entree) but to your point, some would say, and I would tend to agree, that if you have paid $26,000 for a cruise its a bit insulting to ask you to pay $10.00 for a second entree.  Just saying .......

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Exactly. What’s next? Will they start charging if you go through the buffet line more than once? You never know… 

Charge by the weight of the food in the buffet.

• Haha 1

Where will it end?  Their next move will be to wonder why just entrees.   Especially since I suspect that the appetizers are probably more expensive per ounce.  As someone who routinely orders two appetizers in lieu of an app and a salad or app and soup, I'd be incredibly ticked off by such a charge.  Don't think for one second that if this "test" is successful, the cruise line wouldn't hesitate to roll it out to the entire meal:  one choice for each category and no more.  

For the complacent who paid $26K and are happy forking over [no pun intended] another $10 for a second entree, you may be profligate with your money, but don't be so quick to spend mine. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, rdsqrl said:

For the complacent who paid $26K and are happy forking over [no pun intended] another $10 for a second entree, you may be profligate with your money, but don't be so quick to spend mine. 

Since when did this thread become a place where I’m getting a hard time because of what I paid for a cruise? And when does it become anybodies concern that my daughter and I are travelling to the other side of the world to enjoy a 22 day Mediterranean cruise in a mini suite, so much to the point that we need to engage in name calling?

Surely we need to realize that this thread is about two entrees on an HAL cruise ship. 

Also, no where did I mention anything about spending your money and what I do with my money doesn’t concern you. 

I stand by my post. 

Glenn

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, gadaboutgal said:

On formal night, I like to skip appetizers, soups, and salads and order 2 entrees, the lobster tail and the beef wellington.  I never have desert, so I think Princess actually saves with my choices.

Me too, but I do have dessert as well. 😊

I’m not overly concerned about this possibility of a charge for a second entree.  I think the only time that we ever had two entrees was when our waiter spontaneously brought one to us because he thought we might enjoy it.  As I get ready for our next cruise later this month I’m thinking about how I can try not to eat too much, not more.  When it comes to cost saving measures I would rather have Princess do something like this rather than further reduce the quality and choices of everyone’s food.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Belle said:

Remember this is Holland trying it. Not Princess.

HAL and Princess are in the same business division (The Holland America Group), so something that works on HAL could easily spread to Princess.

3 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

Why would anyone need a second entrée?

Sometimes food served on a cruise is different than what I get back home.

I have often asked to have an "appetizer sized portion" to try something and order something else. Many times it is items I have never tried but am not sure if I am going to like it and would never order it back home to try it. Of course they rarely bring out out an appetizer sized version. Or sometimes we ask for an extra entree to share around the table. Many of us want to try it but not eat the whole version.

• Like 1