Grandeur of the seas and kids?

So we have been on the Indy and the Liberty and my kids(DD16, DS13,DD11) thoroughly enjoyed it, even more so than the Disney cruise we did. We are looking at a cruise on the Grandeur, is there as many kid themed things to do on here as the Freedom class ships, cause it doesn't appear to have?

I'm taking my girls on the Grandeur in October.  They've only been on the Navigator so that won't miss the other items.  It does have the usual kids' club and teen club so I think kids will be happy. 

Grandeur is HORRIBLE for kids.

Do not bring anyone under 21 on Grandeur.

HORRIBLE

Maybe that will reduce the number of kids on Grandeur.  😄 😄 😄 😄

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, SRF said:

HORRIBLE

When do you sail?  I'm going to rent some extra kids and bring them on your cruise.  If you give me your cabin number I can ensure they visit you often.

• Haha 1

When we sailed on Grandeur about two years ago it felt like we were in a nursing home.  We are over 65, but there were walkers and scooters everywhere.  We went out of Baltimore.  We had gone on Carnival Pride from that port prior to that cruise, and it was a much younger and more child friendly cruise.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, retiredgram said:

We cruise on the Grandeur every year.  In my honest opinion, I do not think the ship is a good fit for kids or teens.  Again, this is just my opinion, others might disagree.

3 hours ago, SRF said:

HORRIBLE

Are you 2 sounding the same drum? LOL

My kids adore the Grandeur but they're younger and they also don't know any better because they've never been on a megaship with tons of activities.  We went on Grandeur in Aug 2017 and 2018 when they were 4/6 and 5/7 and we're heading back this August, we're also doing the Jewel in the Mediterranean in June.  They love the kids club and we love the alone time we get while we're in the kids club. I've noticed that the tweens and teens on Grandeur do seem a little bit bored but seem to find each other and make the best of it.  

• Like 1

It's true that there are not as many things geared towards teens on Grandeur when compared to Anthem, or the Oasis class ships.  That said, I've seen many happy teens aboard Grandeur enjoying the Rock Wall, pools/hot tubs, teen activities, and just hangin' with their new friends.  Chili dogs from Park Café, and ice cream are always good excuses to get together with their friends.

On 3/3/2019 at 5:37 AM, highfields said:

We had 750 kids on our February 2017 cruise on Grandeur.  Kids sailed free promotion!

What date in February was this and was it the 12 day itinerary?  We sailed February 2 this year and there were at most 10 kids onboard. Next year we sail Feb 8 and I’m hoping the fact that we’re sailing one week later doesn’t mean a ton of kids. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SRF said:

HORRIBLE

Nice try !

We took our daughter on Grandeur last year, having previously been on Navigator twice from the UK.

Not as much in ways of facilities for them, but still plenty to keep her entertained, and we rarely saw her as she was keen to go to WJ to eat with her friends rather than be stuck in the MDR with her parents.

20 hours ago, HOSKI said:

When do you sail?  I'm going to rent some extra kids and bring them on your cruise.  If you give me your cabin number I can ensure they visit you often.

Actually I have had very few issues with kids on Grandeur.

About the only thing that bothered me a bit, were the kids snorkeling in the hot tub.  And a couple of times, then running down the corridors screaming late at night.  But typically a first night thing, and then not again.  I suspect some intervention. 😄

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dagalewis said:

When we sailed on Grandeur about two years ago it felt like we were in a nursing home.  We are over 65, but there were walkers and scooters everywhere.  We went out of Baltimore.  We had gone on Carnival Pride from that port prior to that cruise, and it was a much younger and more child friendly cruise.

Must have been the time of year.

I have cruised on her twice in August and once in the fall.  The fall cruise was a far older average age, but not that bad (except for some scooters stored in the corridors.

And the August cruises have been a mix of fairly young adults through older.

13 hours ago, CruiseMelissa said:

My kids adore the Grandeur but they're younger and they also don't know any better because they've never been on a megaship with tons of activities.  We went on Grandeur in Aug 2017 and 2018 when they were 4/6 and 5/7 and we're heading back this August, we're also doing the Jewel in the Mediterranean in June.  They love the kids club and we love the alone time we get while we're in the kids club. I've noticed that the tweens and teens on Grandeur do seem a little bit bored but seem to find each other and make the best of it.  

Which cruises?  We were on her Aug 17 and 18.  

We were on the  Aug 24, 2017 cruise and August 16, 2018 departures.

12 hours ago, Wildcatfish said:

It's true that there are not as many things geared towards teens on Grandeur when compared to Anthem, or the Oasis class ships.  That said, I've seen many happy teens aboard Grandeur enjoying the Rock Wall, pools/hot tubs, teen activities, and just hangin' with their new friends.  Chili dogs from Park Café, and ice cream are always good excuses to get together with their friends.

I seem to have missed these.

I like chili dogs. 😄

6 hours ago, jerseygirl3 said:

What date in February was this and was it the 12 day itinerary?  We sailed February 2 this year and there were at most 10 kids onboard. Next year we sail Feb 8 and I’m hoping the fact that we’re sailing one week later doesn’t mean a ton of kids. 

We will be on the Feb. 8, 2020 also.  We were on the Feb 14 this year and they said it was a little over 200.  Reason being, kids sail free and Presidents week.  Kids had off a couple days during the week.  They were never a problem, I guess they kept the crew busy at the teen and kids club.

The longer cruises during the winter months never seem to have many kids.  Like you, we were on the Feb. 2 with you and hardly any kids.

18 hours ago, CruiseMelissa said:

My kids 3,5,9 at the time and for over next couple yrs in 90's went on Grandeur/Enchantment, which were top of the line Mega ships then, and always had fun. Even though not as much extra ship board stuff as new ships never had bad time. Was single Father raising kids on my own. Rather then go to Kids program all the time one kid liked watching Main Show's with Dad, another Adult Karaoke. Great Memories 

We’ve been on the Grandeur several times.  Our kids have varied in age from 2-7 while on it.  There isn’t much to do on it for kids. They have two ping pong tables,  one shuffleboard court and a rock climbing wall and an arcade with about 5 games.  That’s about it.  No sports court, bumper cars, flow rider, I fly, ice skating, promenade, trampolines or really much else. My kids have been pretty happy in the kids program and nursery so it’s never been an issue.   

If your kids aren’t too hot on the kids club, I would definitely bring some activities to keep them occupied on sea days.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Wildcatfish said:

Nothing better than a late night chili dog from Park Café... followed by a handful of TUMS.  Still slept like a baby!

Hubby and daughter love the hot dogs on RCI.