Grand Princess Drydock March 2019

masterty

18 minutes ago, masterty said:

Any word on modifications being made to the ship or public areas this DD? Sailing 5/16 this year and excited to hear it will be freshened up for us. :classic_biggrin:

There's info here about what is anticipated.

https://cruisingrobsblog.blogspot.com/2019/02/grand-princess-upcoming-drydock-info.html

Edited by cruisingrob21

1 minute ago, cruisingrob21 said:

Thank you, It is currently as of right now (3/2/19) on its way to San Francisco. I suppose it will head to Portland tomorrow morning after everyone gets off.  Interesting. 

I would anticipate she will leave SF around noon which would put her in Astoria on the 4th around 6pm and arrival to the Vigor yard in Portland late at night.  That's assuming 18+ knots - if she goes faster or slower or leaves SF later that would change things.  Seas look relatively calm up the coast on the 4th so she should make good time.

20 hours ago, pris993 said:

I will be aboard March 30, will see what I notice... have cruised this ship about 6 times, was on board last year in January 2018.   Will try to report back. 

Will be on March 20. Hope they leave the chairs

Here’s a reply sent to me by a friend who will be on the Grand after it leaves from dry dock. Hopefully this will answer everyone’s questions. He took photos in January of the areas that were going to being worked on. Hopefully he’ll post photos of before & after so we can see the difference. 

Hi TomGrand leaves SF today for her 15 days dry dock up in Portland, required by the IMO and Lloyd’s of London.  They will inspect, repvair, adjust and clean the following: Propellers, Exchangers, Propulsion Efficiency and Thrusters.  Replace the hot and cold water main lines.  Hotel renovations are re-upholster all lounges chairs in the Explorer’s, Crooner’s, Wheelhouse, Crown Grill, Library and Snooker’s bar.  Replace all Stateroom Cabins Sleeper Sofas.  New sofas in the Explorer and Crooner’s bar. Replace all the Open Deck Astro turf.  Refinish the Wheelhouse Bar Dance Floor.  Replace Horizon Court carpets and tiles.  Coffee Station Wood Cabinets will all be refinish. New carpets for Botticelli and Crooner’s Bar.  Finally, the installation of the FIRST PHASE of wiring for the Ocean Medallion System and to finish it on the next dry dock.  Yep! I did not miss speak or write…. I guess their continuing the up grade goes on, even  if  they sell the ship.  I understand, it might be sent to Singapore in two years.  

Tom😀

On 3/3/2019 at 7:32 PM, Phamer55 said:

Does the Grand have the Salty Dog Gastropub?  Might they add the Salty Dog Grill as well?

Grand has the Trident Grill as its pool deck grill. We shall see if it gets changed around. 

On 3/3/2019 at 8:05 PM, trbarton said:

I understand, it might be sent to Singapore in two years.  

I noticed the Star will once again be working out of SF in May 2020 doing the 10 Day RT's to Alaska. This is likely when the Grand goes......somewhere.....

Edited by masterty

On 3/6/2019 at 3:38 PM, masterty said:

Grand has the Trident Grill as its pool deck grill. We shall see if it gets changed around. 

I noticed the Star will once again be working out of SF in May 2020 doing the 10 Day RT's to Alaska. This is likely when the Grand goes......somewhere.....

Grand is going to Alaska in Summer 2020, doing runs between Vancouver & Anchorage.   So that is your “somewhere” for the Grand.  

These cruises have been posted on Princess site and open for booking for quite a while, so not quite a mystery. 

For anyone interested on more on the dry dock, search for Martin Cruise on Facebook.  He is giving daily updates on the happenings with pictures.  Looks like major work is getting done. According to his posts, it looks like all new TVs, new jacuzzi structures, new carpet, and a lot more.  I believe he is an entertainer on the ship and is staying on board during the dry dock.

3 hours ago, Bignickpsu said:

For anyone interested on more on the dry dock, search for Martin Cruise on Facebook.  He is giving daily updates on the happenings with pictures.  Looks like major work is getting done. According to his posts, it looks like all new TVs, new jacuzzi structures, new carpet, and a lot more.  I believe he is an entertainer on the ship and is staying on board during the dry dock.

I’ve been on Facebook & their are many Martin Cruise listed. Do you have a link to his page?

Thanks!

Tom😎

38 minutes ago, trbarton said:

I’ve been on Facebook & their are many Martin Cruise listed. Do you have a link to his page?

Thanks!

Tom😎

The correct “Martin Cruise” is not a person, it looks like it’s a page you can follow. The picture is of a guy in a tux. He’s listed as a “Public Figure”. If you click on the sorting tools to look for “pages” his was the top listing for me.

You can try this link as well:  https://www.facebook.com/martinkcruise/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dani24 said:

The correct “Martin Cruise” is not a person, it looks like it’s a page you can follow. The picture is of a guy in a tux. He’s listed as a “Public Figure”. If you click on the sorting tools to look for “pages” his was the top listing for me.

You can try this link as well:  https://www.facebook.com/martinkcruise/

Thanks.  That works. 

Tom😀

Based on what he wrote, it looks like the following is being done:

• “New tv’s getting installed to all staterooms, plus wall tv’s to be installed along deck 7”. He also said in another post: “new tv’s, including on-demand tv, however I am not sure when the on-demand system will be activated. Hopefully within the next month or so...”
  • “Hanging out with Clean Air today. They go around to cabins and suck out all the dust that has accumulated in the air vents in the bathrooms, plus they clean the public vents too. They only have enough time to do 1/3 of the ship in each dry dock. To finish an entire ship generally takes around 10 years.” He also mentions that they did tha back third last time, and this time they’re doing the front third.
  • “New frames for the jacuzzi’s are being installed”
  • “Stripping back the paint” on at least the lower portion of the outside of the ship
  • “New carpet going into the theatre”
  • “New sound system in princess theatre, the speakers currently installed are the original speakers (installed 1998 - or so I have been told)”

• “Ocean Medallion, but again, won’t be activated for a while until they get it up and running on the newer ships”