ATM at FCO Rome Airport

happythoughts

I see online that the Atm in the arrival area at FCO Rome airport is 

Ufficcio Postale / Bancoposta branch and ATM (Post amat), Has anyone used this ATM? I read on cruisecritic to look for Unicredit Banca.... Trying to understand if this is an official bank ATM

Check with the network your bank in on,  POSTE ITALIANE S.P.A. - PATRIMONIO BANCOPOSTA is part of the VISA/Plus network that many US banks participate in.

The VISA/Plus ATM locator is here:  https://www.visa.com/atmlocator/#(page:results,params:(query:'41.78125526779723,12.250693452270521'))

If you check the back of your bankcard you'll see what network it is affiliated with.

I think what you are wanting to avoid are the "fake" ATM machines that are associated with outfits like Travelex that charge a huge mark-up on exchanges.  Many airports have eliminated most of their bank-affiliated ATMs (except in a few areas) for these machines....

Be aware that these can also crop up in heavily touristed areas in Europe as well. I always try to carefully look at the information printed onscreen before I authorize the transaction as some of them have tell-tale language that talks about the exchange rate, etc.

I also try to familiarize myself with some of the large local bank names and tend to gravitate toward using those whenever I can. One bank in Italy that partners with several large bank networks internationally is BANCA NAZIONALE DEL LAVORO SPA.  Another one I have frequented is BANCA MONTE DEI PASCHI DI SIENA S.P.A.

The one you list at the airport is indeed an official bank ATM. It's part of the banking branch of the Italian post office.

More information here about the Travelex-type machines and why to avoid them:  https://www.smartertravel.com/beware-the-new-airport-atm-scam/