Pre cruise hotel in Fort Lauderdale

dfencecoach

We have a cruise booked for this July in Fort Lauderdale.  We will be flying in on Friday and need a hotel for the night. There will be eight to twelve of us.   This is what we are looking for:

1.  Need transportation from the airport to hotel.  ( I know most offer this service)

2.  Would like to have a hotel that offers shuttle to cruise terminal.  (We know there will be a charge for this but would like it to be reasonable)

3,  We would like the hotel and area to be clean and safe.

4.  We would also like a hotel that is near a place where we could pick up some wine and others items we may need.

i know that there have been other threads with some of this information.  We are going to book next week and I would like some recommendations that I can compare under this tread.  So if you have hotels that meet these criteria’s I would appreciate it.

There are dozens and dozens of threads here discussing hotels. In those threads is the common recommendation to check out www.sunny.org, which lists all the hotels in the Ft Lauderdale area, and includes amenities like shuttles.

There is also the common recommendation to not worry about transport, as distances are short, and taxis/Uber are plentiful, and relatively inexpensive.

Lastly, there is the frequent discussion that the 17th Street area meets your commonly requested specifics. One of the popular hotels there is Embassy Suites, which meets your specifications, and has some additional benefits, like breakfast included, a free two hour happy hour each night, and a nice pool area.

I have stayed at Embassy Suites ... Hyatt Place ... Hilton Marina ... Pier 66 ... and Holiday Inn Express along 17th.  All close to the port ... walking distance to Harbor Place (restaurants/grocery store/wine store & more) ... and along the Sun Trolley route.  Stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in January for a post-cruise night.  It was the most "bare bones" of the previously mentioned, and the least expensive. The bed was comfortable & it was quiet.  We stayed in the newly constructed wing (the construction appears to be complete).  There was no view from the room (overlooked a water treatment plant with a small glimpse of the cruise ships), but after plenty of views on our cruise it served its purpose at a reasonable cost.  Wherever you choose, it's a great area close to the port ... close to the airport ... close to a variety of places to eat ... close to the Water Taxi & Sun Trolley ... good walking.

I like the Hampton Inn in Plantation.  Free shuttle from the airport, as well as a free shuttle to the port in the morning.  Breakfast included.  Nice place.  Walkable to wine shop, restaurants and a mall.  

8 hours ago, familycruising4ever said:

Unfortunately I as well cannot get a room at either Embassy Suites or Hampton Plantation for Feb 2020. Both are showing sold out completely arleady. :classic_sad:

I don't think they are sold out rather they may not have opened up bookings yet.  Many hotels open them about 11 months in advance.

7 hours ago, capriccio said:

I don't think they are sold out rather they may not have opened up bookings yet.  Many hotels open them about 11 months in advance.

I thought maybe that was the case but I was able to get a quote from a few other Hotel so wasn't really sure. Guess I'll check again in another month or so. Thanks! 

6 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Last time we couldn’t direct book embassy until maybe 6 months out 😞. That was a couple of years ago.

I do believe it is just too early for several hotels as I can't try anything through hotwire either.  I know the airfare for some of the airlines won't be available for about another month.

7 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Last time we couldn’t direct book embassy until maybe 6 months out 😞. That was a couple of years ago.

I have booked the Embassy Suites through the Hilton website several times 10 to 11 months out.

We stayed at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Airport Cruiseport. It was great! Clean , comfortable, and they have a shuttle that will take you to nearby places and restaurants. We didn't use the shuttle to the port but they do have one..there is also a Wendy's right there. Very nice hotel.

1 minute ago, merinski said:

We stayed at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Airport Cruiseport. It was great! Clean , comfortable, and they have a shuttle that will take you to nearby places and restaurants. We didn't use the shuttle to the port but they do have one..there is also a Wendy's right there. Very nice hotel.

Thanks for the information! 

On 3/6/2019 at 7:25 AM, vacationlover_mn said:

I booked rooms at the ES last month for our cruise in November. 

Edited by murphfam4

Extended Stay America does not have 'breakfast'.  They have a cabinet across from the desk that opens out to offer a selection of health bars and some sweet rolls, if you get there early enough, along with a pot of coffee and hot water/tea bags on top.

That's not my idea of breakfast so we went across the street to Panera Bread.  The rooms were nice, clean and we had a view

of the port and there was ample parking.  Holiday Inn is next door and thankfully, they have finished their expansion and construction.  I'd stay at Extended Stay America again just don't expect breakfast.

We are sailing out of Port Everglades next year on 1/31 and needed a hotel for the night before.  The Embassy Suites shows up on the Hilton site as costing $1240 a night!!!

Turns out the Super Bowl is in Miami that weekend.  You may want to book soon.  I ended up with the Hyatt at about $300.

2 minutes ago, ATG said:

We are sailing out of Port Everglades next year on 1/31 and needed a hotel for the night before.  The Embassy Suites shows up on the Hilton site as costing $1240 a night!!!

Turns out the Super Bowl is in Miami that weekend.  You may want to book soon.  I ended up with the Hyatt at about $300.

$1240....and I thought $340 was ridiculous. Guess I'll be happy if I can find a decent one for less than $250. I'll keep looking until I find the right one. Pretty sure I can do value trips and get the Hyatt for around $240 if all else fails. 

We always stay on the A1A strip. There are many hotels, tons of restaurants, shopping and of course the beach is right there. Our favorite is Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort.  The rooms/suites are fantastic.  Every room has either a kitchenette or a kitchen which is nice to have (No,, we do not cook, we just have snacks, wine, etc with us. Make coffee in the morning, etc.). The best part is  the balconies.  We have stayed in the 17th street area hotels, there is no comparison to that and A1A.  There is nothing nicer then seeming this from your balcony...https://www.hiltonbeachcam.com/

(of course the webcam looks better when it’s light out)

Best of luck...please always do your homework before staying in any hotel.

😊

Edited by Esmerelda

On 3/6/2019 at 5:34 PM, merinski said:

Do they have parking while you cruise?

On 3/14/2019 at 8:36 PM, familycruising4ever said:

$1240....and I thought $340 was ridiculous. Guess I'll be happy if I can find a decent one for less than $250. I'll keep looking until I find the right one. Pretty sure I can do value trips and get the Hyatt for around $240 if all else fails. 

I don't think you will find much. 

Every Hilton property is booked solid for 31 Jan 20 except the Embassy Suites at $1240.

Every Hyatt property is booked solid for 31 Jan 20.

You may have to book something in Orlando....(just kidding but with the superbowl in miami that weekend, you might be booking something a long ways away).

After being stuck with a $500 room during boat week, I make it a point to check on events before booking a cruise.