Smart Casual

We have cruised to many parts of the world on several different lines, but when it comes to over packing, I am the greatest !!!! 

Trying desperately to cut down. I am on nine pairs of shoes for this cruise which includes stopovers on way out and return...Need to cut this down I know !

Please explain to me what SMART CASUAL means on a Princess cruise from Sydney to Hong Kong. 

(Majestic Princess  in March , fairly fit couple, early 60s)

I have read the Princess suggestions but in real life find  SMART CASUAL means different things in different parts of the world.

Please help.

Many thanks

Edited by Reina del Mar
Spacing

I love shoes but manage to holiday anywhere with ecru coloured (goes with anything ) dress shoes,walking shoes and sandals,

Smart casual for me is good black pants and several tops to go with them.

Cheers Carole

I wear smart black or white trousers and a pretty top. I take two pairs of black dressy sandals, and one metallic pair. Since I mostly wear black trousers I like to alternate my black sandals - my feet and shoes have a hate-hate relationship!

I also take walking sandals (sometimes two pairs), sneakers, Skechers which are the only shoes I can wear without socks, a pair of black flats, and my pool shoes. I'd rather pack what I think I'll need than regret that I didn't pack something. Your feet are one of the most important parts of your body when travelling, especially if you're planning a lot of walking, so you need to treat them well.

Just remember that Princess has guest laundrettes so you might be able to cut back in other areas. I usually pack enough clothes for 8-9 days and do laundry once a week.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

Well I am under 40 and to me it is always a decent pair of trousers and typically a buttoned up collared shirt. Very easy and simple to pack, lightweight (opposed to heavier jeans) and the ability to mix and match shirts and trousers maximising the amount of times it can be worn reducing packing.

Collared shirt and trousers for a male. as for the shoes, I wear Boat shoes.

I normally have 3 pairs of shoes on a trip, a pair of black (no stripes or markings) sneakers or joggers for day tours and such, they also double for formal nights. A pair of thongs and a pair of boat shoes.

Thanks for replies thus far.

Shoes now down to seven. (Including travel and pool shoes) Have struggled in Caribbean with shoes that rubbed !

Black patent formal, black patent wedges, Sketchers trainers to travel, gold cork wedges, Flit Flop gold low sandals, gold leather footbed flip flops, mink leather flip flops.  Still too many ? Possibly black suede low evening sandals ??

Now, ladies please...black and white trousers will not do for  the whole cruise, apart from three/ four formal out of 19 nights , will they ?

I have a white and cream linen trousers both with two tops, couple of linen dresses....are they smart enough ?, black thin embossed trousers with a few tops. Any other suggestions ?

Can't get head around wearing clothes more than once. Will do laundry..just once though.

Thanks.

For men the greatest thing ever invented are cotton/poly polo shirts. They roll pack and look like they've been ironed 3 minutes after putting on, body heat does that. They are casual for day wear and qualify for smart casual in the dining room. Coupled with dress jeans they pass muster, and if you have a pair of black trousers to go with them they look pretty smick. I have the black trousers and just don a long sleeved dress shirt for formal nights, no tie as that is approaching work wear as far as I'm concerned, same applies to suits, I gave all my work wear away after I retired.

On Princess I tend to take black sandals for dinner, Skechers for walking and around the ship and shore, perhaps 2 pairs, including a black pair I can wear to dinner if not dressing up too much and a casual pair of sandals that I have also at times worn to dinner. I have also been known to wear three quarter length pants.

I wear black pants and pretty/dressy tops to dinner - only need two pairs of pants. Many females wear skirts and dressy tops and dresses to dinner.  you can wear whatever you are comfortable wearing.

During the day you can wear whatever you are comfortable wearing. You may find that on a cruise to Asia that the Asian passengers may be more dressed up than other passengers. But you choose what you are comfortable wearing.

Enjoy your cruise.

Leigh

9 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

Shoes now down to seven. (Including travel and pool shoes) Have struggled in Caribbean with shoes that rubbed !

Black patent formal, black patent wedges, Sketchers trainers to travel, gold cork wedges, Flit Flop gold low sandals, gold leather footbed flip flops, mink leather flip flops.  Still too many ? Possibly black suede low evening sandals ??

Now, ladies please...black and white trousers will not do for  the whole cruise, apart from three/ four formal out of 19 nights , will they ?

I have a white and cream linen trousers both with two tops, couple of linen dresses....are they smart enough ?, black thin embossed trousers with a few tops. Any other suggestions ?

Can't get head around wearing clothes more than once. Will do laundry..just once though.

Thanks.

I don’t take white or cream at all because I always end up with stains. I go for dark colours black or navy blue. Shorts for during the day and long black pants or leggings which don’t need ironing for night. I wear both pants and tops more than once. I always pack about 6-8 lightweight day/night tops and a couple of light weight dresses.  You can definitely wear clothes more than once. No one will notice.

I pack 3 pairs of shoes joggers, day time time sandals which can also be worn for smart casual nights plus shoes with a bit of a heel. When I cruise with Princess I usually wash a few times on a longer cruise.

It took me a few years to get my head out of the "wear it then wash it" concept. At least until I started travelling more often - long trips soon killed off that idea. Clothes that are worn for a few hours in a cool, air-conditioned environment, don't need cleaning after every wear unless something spills on them. 

I choose black and white as my base evening-wear colours (non-formal) because they go with everything, and most of my tops are fairly colourful, plus I don't need as many pairs of shoes. 

I've noticed that smart casual on cruises isn't a narrow range. Most people like to dress up a little in the evenings but nice linen trousers and a light linen top are perfectly acceptable, as are linen dresses. In fact pretty much anything goes as long as it's not obviously beach or activewear.

Pair of nice strides (trousers) and smart collared shirt, long or short sleeve.   I hate that word 'pants' for trousers, too Americano. No thongs please with evening wear, sorry 'flip flops.'  Thongs can be worn on Princess Cruises, but hidden from public view, please.

Now the Brits wear socks with their sandals, that is a no, no.:classic_ohmy:

Edited by NSWP

10 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

Thanks.

As a frequent traveller, I take three pairs of shoes.  (In case one pair gets wet.)  The secret is to only take comfortable walking shoes, which double for dress shoes.  

Once you learn to travel light, you will enjoy the freedom and never go back to overpacking.  

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

As a frequent traveller, I take three pairs of shoes.  (In case one pair gets wet.)  The secret is to only take comfortable walking shoes, which double for dress shoes.  

Once you learn to travel light, you will enjoy the freedom and never go back to overpacking.  

Yep, I'm now down to a 13kg suitcase for up to 4-5 week tours/cruises. I only take 3 pairs of footwear - one pair for day wear and traveling, another pair of nice shoes for dinner or casual wear and and pair of sandals or thongs (weather/climate dependent). Shoes take up far too much room in luggage but they can be handy for packing socks and undies in them.

2 hours ago, Russell21 said:

By the way Smart Casual has a very very loose meaning on Carnival cruises, I wonder why they even state a dress code from some of the things I've seen on the Spirit.

Yes, may as well not have a code if they do not enforce it.

2 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Yep, I'm now down to a 13kg suitcase for up to 4-5 week tours/cruises. I only take 3 pairs of footwear - one pair for day wear and traveling, another pair of nice shoes for dinner or casual wear and and pair of sandals or thongs (weather/climate dependent). Shoes take up far too much room in luggage but they can be handy for packing socks and undies in them.

We are fairly similar with around 11 kgs

MicCanberra and Lyndarra

I admire you greatly for being able pack so lightly. I struggle to keep within 23kg. I say it's because we travel for longer periods but really it's because I overpack !

NSWP       'Now the Brits wear socks with their sandals, that is a no, no.'

The vast majority don't !!

In the past when our weather was so cold that sandals rarely made an appearance they rubbed without socks...climate change has allowed us to be sockless these days !

Cruisine 21

Know what you mean about 'spotting' on light colours. Am trying to get away from black/ darker colours due to the heat but not sure if I will regret it. There are self service laundrettes on our ship and in our pre cruise hotel.

Russell

This is one of the reasons I need a definition of Smart Casual !   I don't want to feel either under or over dressed.

Hoping not to see shorts or vests in MDR though !

Still not sure what to pack but thanks for all suggestions...please keep them coming !

We generally pack the same for a one week trip as we do for an 8 week trip.

My basic list is 3x day shirts (polo shirts) and 3x evening shirts. 1 shorts, 1 black trousers, 1chinos, 1 Jacket, 3x underwear, 3x socks, black joggers, thongs and boat shoes, swimmers, rashie, hat, toiletries, the rest is holiday specific.