Pompeii from Naples under our own steam (4 persons).

vinob

My hubby and I went to Pompeii a few years ago while staying on the Amalfi coast and spent half a day there and only saw about a quarter of it.  We do not want to do an organised tour as we feel 2.5 hours at the site is not long enough especially as our friends have never been. Does anyone have information on best way to do Pompeii on our own from Naples cruise port, is it easy to get a guide inside Pompeii and any clue on how much they charge. (last time we used a good guide book, but feel a guide would be of more benefit).  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Viv.

Guides are available at Pompeii, generally at the main entrance (which is the one nearest the train station) called Porta Marina. But be aware that most guides give a fairly standardized 2-3 hour tour. If you want something more than that you'll need to negotiate. If you do some research ahead of time and ask for the map and good English pamphlet at the entrance, you should be able to get round fine on your own and sometimes it's fun to make your own discoveries. I also check when purchasing my ticket if there are any special openings that day -- some houses are only open on certain days or even just certain mornings. It's worth asking.

As for transportation, there are several options on getting to Pompeii from the ship. One that I haven't utilized but that sounds easy involves taking a shuttle service from a starting point near the port. Compared with taking the train, the shuttle is easier to get to, offers seating for all (although I have no idea if they sell out) and is air-conditioned. More info is here:  https://www.city-sightseeing.it/en/naples-to-pompeii-day-trip-shuttle-bus-ruins-of-pompeii/

The old commuter train line ("Circumvesuviana") also travels from a station about a mile from the port directly to within a hundred feet or so of the Pompeii entrance. The trains are old and can be quite crowded and hot in the summer months (and have been known as a pickpocket haunt). Seating is not guaranteed and you may have to stand most of the 40 minutes to Pompeii. However, I've used it several times and while not glamorous it is cheap and fairly reliable with regular departures throughout the day.  You can take a tram from the port to the Porta Nolana station, purchase your ticket for the line headed to Sorrento with a stop at Pompei Scavi.

A third option that's fairly new is the Campania Express -- train service that's geared for tourists and is more comfortable, but has a limited number of runs each day. You can read more here:  

• Like 2

There is also the SITA bus, which has a depot inside the port, about a third of a mile on foot from the cruise port.  There are only a couple of runs each morning so you're limited in that way but it's fast, comfortable, and cheap (2,80 euro each way).

For ease I don't think you can beat the tourist shuttle bus.

The Circumvesuviana is probably the least easy and most uncomfortable option, the only thing it has going for it is flexibility, as there are at least two runs each hour.