FLL to cruise port via free car rental shuttle??

LGD

Does this still exist? A few years ago we rented a car at FLL, upon car return we caught a free shuttle bus, may have been a city bus, certainly not a rental company shuttle, outside of the centralized car rental facility and dropped us at the cruise terminal for our ship.  Service was free for rental car customers.  We then took the same reverse route when we returned to pick up another car.  We did have to show the rental documents to board.  Fast forward to 2019, does this service still exist?  TIA.

All free shuttle service from FLL to Port Everglades was discontinued a few years ago. I personally know that Alamo has a location on Eller Drive which is just east of FLL that provides free shuttle service to Port Everglades. Other companies provide shuttle service from Port Everglades to off site locations that are near FLL. I know Sixt Car Rental provides shuttle service from their location on Federal Highway ( US1) in Fort Lauderdale to Port Everglades. If you are returning a vehicle to any of the major car rental companies at FLL a cab is a short ten minute ride which is usually under twenty dollars plus tip. Uber and Lyft are even cheaper.

If you're arriving at FLL rent your car there and then arrange for an off airport site location drop off. Many will have a comp shuttle or a taxi/Uber will be a cheap quick option also. You also might want to check your rental rate with Costco if you're a member...we've gotten our best rates for Fort Lauderdale booking through them...easy to do online.

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

If you're arriving at FLL rent your car there and then arrange for an off airport site location drop off. Many will have a comp shuttle or a taxi/Uber will be a cheap quick option also. You also might want to check your rental rate with Costco if you're a member...we've gotten our best rates for Fort Lauderdale booking through them...easy to do online.

Thank you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

Thank you!

31 minutes ago, bilyclub said:

Just a warning about picking a car up at Alamo on Eller. They are very pushy when it comes to insurance and upgrading.  They have selective hearing concerning the word no.

Pick up a pre-ordered rental car from Alamo at FLL and drop it at the Eller location - that solves the "suggestive insurance selling." We have been doing this the past few trips without any pressure to purchase additional insurance or add-ons such at sat nav, XM radio, etc. The comp shuttle to the port is parked adjacent to the auto return lanes at Alamo on Eller.

Darcy

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2019 at 9:01 AM, WatchHill said:

Pick up a pre-ordered rental car from Alamo at FLL and drop it at the Eller location - that solves the "suggestive insurance selling." We have been doing this the past few trips without any pressure to purchase additional insurance or add-ons such at sat nav, XM radio, etc. The comp shuttle to the port is parked adjacent to the auto return lanes at Alamo on Eller.

Darcy

Yes, but you have to pick up on Eller post cruise unless you pay for transportation to FLL.

1 hour ago, bilyclub said:

Yes, but you have to pick up on Eller post cruise unless you pay for transportation to FLL.

OP, like us, is picking up at FLL - probably when they arrive by plane, and then needs to drop off the car, the go onto the ship. In prior years, one could drop the car back at FLL and then take the Sun shuttle to the port/ship. This particular shuttle no longer exists. So, simply drop the car at the rental location on Eller, - you can see the ships from the car parking lot, and take their free shuttle to the ship, with luggage, etc. One can pick up or drop at either FLL or Eller, whichever works best....no additional transportation fees.

Darcy

40 minutes ago, WatchHill said:

OP, like us, is picking up at FLL - probably when they arrive by plane, and then needs to drop off the car, the go onto the ship. In prior years, one could drop the car back at FLL and then take the Sun shuttle to the port/ship. This particular shuttle no longer exists. So, simply drop the car at the rental location on Eller, - you can see the ships from the car parking lot, and take their free shuttle to the ship, with luggage, etc. One can pick up or drop at either FLL or Eller, whichever works best....no additional transportation fees.

Darcy

The original poster talked about going both ways.

On 3/3/2019 at 1:36 PM, LGD said:

Does this still exist? A few years ago we rented a car at FLL, upon car return we caught a free shuttle bus, may have been a city bus, certainly not a rental company shuttle, outside of the centralized car rental facility and dropped us at the cruise terminal for our ship.  Service was free for rental car customers.  We then took the same reverse route when we returned to pick up another car.  We did have to show the rental documents to board.  Fast forward to 2019, does this service still exist?  TIA.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/3/2019 at 8:32 PM, Corby114 said:

All free shuttle service from FLL to Port Everglades was discontinued a few years ago. I personally know that Alamo has a location on Eller Drive which is just east of FLL that provides free shuttle service to Port Everglades. Other companies provide shuttle service from Port Everglades to off site locations that are near FLL. I know Sixt Car Rental provides shuttle service from their location on Federal Highway ( US1) in Fort Lauderdale to Port Everglades. If you are returning a vehicle to any of the major car rental companies at FLL a cab is a short ten minute ride which is usually under twenty dollars plus tip. Uber and Lyft are even cheaper.

I always hire from Thrifty/Budget when in FLL, right at the port gates 

So if we drop the car there on the morning of the cruise, do they offer the shuttle free down to the port? I guess there will be a lot of people waiting for this!

The last time I returned a car and wanted to get back to my hotel, I had to walk to the hotel diagonally across the traffic lights, to get a Wi-fi signal to book an Uber! 

I always hire from Thrifty/Budget when in FLL, right at the port gates 
So if we drop the car there on the morning of the cruise, do they offer the shuttle free down to the port? I guess there will be a lot of people waiting for this!
The last time I returned a car and wanted to get back to my hotel, I had to walk to the hotel diagonally across the traffic lights, to get a Wi-fi signal to book an Uber! 
Yes Avis/Budget has a shuttle from their port Everglades (ev3 I think) location to the cruise port. Alamo's shuttle seemed to run a lot more frequently but they do have one and it eventually came. I think they say every 20 minutes.
  • Thanks 1